U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times

Advertisements

I head into a city of 10,000 about once a week maybe, a city of 30,000 maybe once a year, and every 5-6 years I might head into something like Boston. I just came back from Ireland and had to go to Boston to to get there so by rights I have got my city fix for the next 5 years covered.

Thank good gobstoppers for that! (LOL)

As for rush hour here, that is when two pick up trucks park in the road in opposing lanes talking about this or that. The people in town come up to such a thing and wait patiently for the conversation to end and then move on. People from away honk their horn endlessly which only means the conversation lasts longer. There isn't much of a hurry here really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM

332 posts, read 572,006 times
Quote:
My nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile away.
What are you a hermit ? Since you live out in the middle of nowhere, if you were to call 911 because you were seriously physically injured enough for it to be life threatening, how long would it take for the police and an ambulance truck to come out to your house ? You would probably be dead by the time they arrived at your doorstep, right ? Do you even live in a house or is it a shack ? I ask because most people who live in areas where you can walk many miles without seeing a single other Human Being besides yourself, tend to live in shacks.

Last edited by Golem1979; 03-12-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,901,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
What are you a hermit ? Since you live out in the middle of nowhere, if you were to call 911 because you were seriously physically injured enough for it to be life threatening, how long would it take for the police and an ambulance truck to come out to your house ? You would probably be dead by the time they arrived at your doorstep, right ? Do you even live in a house or is it a shack ? I ask because most people who live in areas where you can walk many miles without seeing a single other Human Being besides yourself, tend to live in shacks.
Are you for real?

I currently live a half-mile from my nearest neighbor, and I expect I'd still see an ambulance or cops in time in most cases. I also don't live in a shack, but a rather sizable house with indoor plumbing and everything! We even have electricity, for which we are pretty excited about. We can only dream of such fancy things as those new-fangled "televisions" that we've heard so much about and look forward to the day that we can get the animals their own place.

However, I have lived in areas where sunshine had to be piped in and people were so rare that my children scattered in fear the first couple of times they ever saw another person. You should have seen them when they first saw a car!

Seriously, I have lived in areas remote enough that health emergencies can be for real life threatening and you buy life flight insurance, learn to stitch your own kids up and keep some rudimentary med supplies around. And as far as 911 goes, it was usually used to tell them where the body is.

And again, no shacks. Actually, nicer than most homes and with a lot bigger yard and views to boot.

Last edited by skinem; 03-12-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 65,164 times
Quote:
Do you even live in a house or is it a shack ? I ask because most people who live in areas where you can walk many miles without seeing a single other Human Being besides yourself, tend to live in shacks.[LEFT]
Posts like this make me glad I live out in the country away from all the dandies. You might be surprised to learn that some of us actually got "lectricity" and one of them "indoor outhouses".

Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Well, the population within 100 mile radius of my place is maybe 150 people, maybe more in summer and less in winter; and the nearest "city" has a booming metro population of 97,970... so, yeah, anything more would be a bit crowded. Rush hour here means you've passed another car within the last 30 minutes and you might have to wait for a dog sled team or a moose or bear to cross the road.

However, I'm not overwhelmed by traffic driving in Fairbanks, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people and noise... especially people just milling about with no clear purpose and evidentally no deadline! I've lived in real big cities (multi-million population) and it drove me crazy... tooooooo many people, tooooooo much noise... traffic was the least of my problems! Cities are just crowded, loud, stinky and life-draining for someone like me who prefers solitude and their own company. I can handle going into a city for short periods when I need to, but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

My nearest neighbor is 2 miles away. The "city" is 4 hours away. I can go weeks without seeing, or even hearing, another person besides my husband. You can walk for days between villages and homesteads. If you get lost in the woods up here, you're pretty much a goner... bring a map and compass. It's absolute heaven.

I live in a wall tent while we're building our cabin, which won't be a shack, just a lot smaller than the average American McMansion (been there, done that, burned the shirt). We'll have running water from our well, and an indoor toilet... but the toilet isn't plumbed because we don't want it to be, it'll be a composting toilet instead. We won't have bathing facilities in the main cabin, but will have a separate sauna/bath house out in the garden area, because that's where we need to use the greywater. Plumbing freezes up here when it's below zero for several months, especially long plumbing runs, so we're intentionally having as little of it as possible and putting it exactly where the water is needed with the shortest runs possible.

There isn't a grid out here... no municipal water & sewer, no telephones (land or mobile), no cable TV, no FiOS, no electricity. You handle your own water and waste, you get satellite internet/TV, you get a sat phone or a CB/shortwave radio if you actually want to talk to people and you can't link up on VoIP over the 'Net, and you make your own power if you need it. We're at least close to a mostly maintained road, so we've got it good even if 70 miles of it is gravel.

Cops and ambulances are rarely seen all the way out here. If it's a medical emergency, MedEvac can be here in about 30 minutes. If it's a fire, you're SOL unless you can take care of it yourself or the state fighters are out controlling a nearby forest fire. The locals pretty much keep the peace themselves and troublemakers are dealt with. A few years ago, an outsider drifted into town and killed a bunch of people one night.... it took the cops about 2 days to get here in force, no hurry since one trooper and the townies had already taken care of the problem. The only officials we see here on any regular basis is Fish & Game.... which is fine with us, since we don't have property taxes to pay for those services either.

If living this type of life, under these types of conditions doesn't appeal to someone... perfectly fine with me. I can understand why some other people would actually like cities, but I couldn't ever live in one again (unless I had the penthouse suite of a very tall skyscraper and my own personal shopper so I never had to go down to street level!).

Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 AM

411 posts, read 1,060,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
As for rush hour here, that is when two pick up trucks park in the road in opposing lanes talking about this or that. The people in town come up to such a thing and wait patiently for the conversation to end and then move on. People from away honk their horn endlessly which only means the conversation lasts longer. There isn't much of a hurry here really.
The locals seriously just sit there in their car and wait for them to finish their convo? WTF?! I would be blaring my horn and yelling at them. They can easily talk somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Homesteader View Post
Posts like this make me glad I live out in the country away from all the dandies.
What is that supposed to mean? That's a little offensive. Like there aren't weird people in the country too?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,311,975 times
Our entire state has about 500,000 residents.

Our two biggest "cities" are just at 50,000 residents.

There's a very low population density here. "rush hour" traffic in our county area would be seeing a couple of cars per hour come by our place.

While I can deal with the regional cities of 2-3 million population for business trips and some shopping, I prefer not to go there any more than I have to.

I've been to the largest US cities, and they don't have much attraction for me except for a few museums and some business connections not found in smaller places. OK to visit, but not for any longer than needed.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-13-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,446,647 times
I used to live in a city in Prince George's County, Maryland, Prince George's County has a population of 820,852.00 people, the city that I lived in was the City of Bowie, population a little over 56,000, Bowie is located between Washington, DC, population 519,833.00, Annapolis, Maryland, population 36,524.00, and Baltimore, Maryland, population 636,919.00. Now I grew up in Prince George's County, Maryland and lived there most of my entire life and as you can see I grew up in an area between three major cities with a very large population, I now live in a very small county in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in southeastern Ohio where the entire population of the county is just a little over 14,000 people, I own a very large 11 room,log cabin home on 5 1/2 acres about half way up the mountain, my closest neighbor is 400 head of cattle, my mailboxe is at the end of a quarter of a mile long drive way, I am 4 1/2 miles outside of town, the nearest fire house is 3 1/2 miles away, I have all the modern conveniences and technology that I would have if living in any big city and I wouldn't go back to living in any big city for anything, the road that I live on is an unpaved road that is about 2 1/2 miles long and there are 8 houses on this road and everybody knows everybody and we all look after everyone, I have some real good neighbors, but to answer your question, no, city driving does not overwhelm me, I don't particularly care for the traffic around Washington, DC or that entire metro area, however I do like the driving out here where I'm at, nobody's in a hurry and everybody waves of one another as they go by and I much preferred that.

Last edited by ptsum; 03-13-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM

332 posts, read 572,006 times
Quote:
Would a city of about 65,000 people and a metro population of about 100,000 people seem like a big city to you?
LOL at some people considering an area inhabited by 65,000 people to be a big city. If you told somebody living in Tokyo that a town of 65,000 people is a big city, they would look at you like you are crazy. And you want to know why, BECAUSE TOKYO HAS A POPULATION OF OVER 12 MILLION PEOPLE. AND THAT IS JUST WITHIN THEIR CITY LIMITS, IT IS NOT EVEN COUNTING THEIR WHOLE METROPOLITAN AREA. THE METROPOLITAN AREA OF TOKYO HAS A POPULATION THAT IS LARGER THAN THAT OF MOST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,446,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post

Golem, how's this for a shack out in the middle of nowhere? I own this very large 11 room log cabin home on 5 1/2 acres of land in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains about half way up the mountain, I have all the modern amenities and technology that you would get in any big city, anywhere,the firehouse and all the emergency equipment and EMTs are just 3 1/2 miles away.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for small towners and those who live deep in the country-first-day-summer-020.jpg   Question for small towners and those who live deep in the country-pauls-patio-019.jpg   Question for small towners and those who live deep in the country-cabin-pics-007.jpg   Question for small towners and those who live deep in the country-cabin-pics-006.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living