U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM

40 posts, read 65,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But seriously folks, people who love living in cities are never going to truly appreciate why other people love living in the country, and vice versa.
Seems to me this thread is called "Rural and Small Town Living" not city living so maybe City-Boi and Golem are just getting an appropriate response. No one expects everyone to like rural living and if they dont like it why are they posting on this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Homesteader View Post
Seems to me this thread is called "Rural and Small Town Living" not city living so maybe City-Boi and Golem are just getting an appropriate response. No one expects everyone to like rural living and if they dont like it why are they posting on this thread?
Excellent point Ozark... I was just wondering the same things myself. Why do "anti" folks always come post on "pro" boards? (Just look at the Green Living board! ) I've never understood that

Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times
Personally, I was just amazed that someone (Golem) who thinks it necessary to inform rural people about the population of Tokyo has so little knowledge of his own country as to think everyone in a rural area is ignorant and lives in a shack.

It might surprise him to know that a lot of rural people not only know the population of Tokyo but have actually been there. Although, I am still at a loss to understand what the hey Tokyo has to do with the OP.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
LOL at some people being as ignorant as to think that people in rural areas must live in a shack.
They Don't!

brushrunner

Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
What are you a hermit ? Since you live out in the middle of nowhere, if you were to call 911 because you were seriously physically injured enough for it to be life threatening, how long would it take for the police and an ambulance truck to come out to your house ? You would probably be dead by the time they arrived at your doorstep, right ? Do you even live in a house or is it a shack ? I ask because most people who live in areas where you can walk many miles without seeing a single other Human Being besides yourself, tend to live in shacks.
It took an hour one time to get me a mile by Pickup to a waiting Ambulance.

A neighbor of mine had her arm ripped off by a Horse,they had to drive her 3 miles up the road to Fly her out to the Hospital.

No its not easy to get people out of here.Seen a Guy setting at the Gas Station 10 miles away waiting on an Ambulance,he had cut his Hand of with a Wood Splitter.

I've had to take the Law into some places to server papers or make arrest

brushrunner

Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 PM

28,409 posts, read 18,205,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
It took an hour one time to get me a mile by Pickup to a waiting Ambulance.

A neighbor of mine had her arm ripped off by a Horse,they had to drive her 3 miles up the road to Fly her out to the Hospital.

No its not easy to get people out of here.Seen a Guy setting at the Gas Station 10 miles away waiting on an Ambulance,he had cut his Hand of with a Wood Splitter.

I've had to take the Law into some places to server papers or make arrest

brushrunner
Must have been a heck of a road to take an hour to go a mile. Though in the backcountry with a pickup I can see that. Mercy Flight is a good thing to have on speed dial, just in case.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM

411 posts, read 1,060,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Man, this thread is starting to degenerate and there isn't really any need for everyone to get defensive. Golem made a stereotype comment in post 22 about people in the country being hermits and living in shacks, which many found offensive... so some anti-city stereotypes started popping up. But seriously folks, people who love living in cities are never going to truly appreciate why other people love living in the country, and vice versa. It's two completely different temperaments, preferences and desires. Neither one is inherently better, just that one fits each of us better. To each their own.

City_Boi, it sounds like you really don't like living in a small town, even though many of us don't think that your town is particuarly small compared to the places we like living. I'm guessing that you find it boring, stagnant and stifling... as do many people who prefer cities. I hope you get a chance to go live in a big city and that you are happy there and enoy being immersed in the ever-changing cultural diversity. But please understand, that for many people who prefer living in the country, living in such dense urban centers would actually be physically and psychologically painful (yes, akin to peeing on an electric fence).

Anyone is going to be uncomfortable, maybe even miserable, if they're stuck in an environment that goes against their nature... whether that's a city mouse in the country, or a country mouse in the city. But there really is no need for anyone to attack each other or to get defensive... you like what you like, that's valid, you don't have to justify it to anyone else.
Well said, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well, it was actually an attempt at humor, I thought the second sentence clairified that.
Oh, my bad.
Quote:
I was just curious about your opinions.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,902,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Must have been a heck of a road to take an hour to go a mile. Though in the backcountry with a pickup I can see that. Mercy Flight is a good thing to have on speed dial, just in case.
What caused me to get life flight insurance was this...a buddy of mine was roping cattle and got his thumb between the rope and the saddle horn when he was snubbing the cow down. Cow hits the end of the rope--pop!--there goes his thumb. He was by himself (as if he wasn't would make any difference), wrapped his thumb in a handkerchief, put it in his shirt pocket and drove himself the 2 hours to the nearest hospital. Got there, they told him it was really beyond what they could do well for him and wanted to fly him to Portland...he didn't think he could afford that, so he said no, drove himself to Portland from Burns, OR...if I remember right, about 6 hours. By the time he got there, they said the thumb was too damaged, it'd been too long, etc. and couldn't do anything with it.
So, he lost a thumb over not taking a helicopter ride. I bought the insurance.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 65,169 times
Quote:
They Don't!

brushrunner
Say...why you been poking round my place????

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Say...why you been poking round my place????
I just wanted to see the pretty Christmas Lights

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living