U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 6,689,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
The OP was describing an area with 65,000 people as a big city, when it certainly is not. That is why I brought up Tokyo. Because to people who live in that city or any other big city in the world like New York City, Sao Paulo, Moscow, Manila, Los Angeles, Mexico City, London, Shanghai, Sydney, etc to them 65,000 is NOTHING.
"Would a city of about 65,000 people and a metro population of about 100,000 people seem like a big city to you? Would an intersection with 4 lanes going one way, each lane with about 15 cars waiting for the green light seem overwhelming to you?"

The OP was not describing a city of 65,000 as a large city. He was asking what constitutes a large city to rural people and tossing out some numbers. He was asking what size of a city rural people find intimidating to drive in. He wasn't asking what people in Tokyo or Moscow or Manila consider to be a large city.

There is no indication in his post that he thinks rural people are unaware that there are larger cities in the world - something your posts seem to be about.

Any my answer to the OP is that it depends on how often I do it. I find that the longer I stay away from the city, the more uncertain I become while during the periods of my life when I regularly drove in the city, I didn't think anything of it.

You can become unused to certain things. Years ago, when we returned for a few weeks from a very dreary post-Soviet east Germany, to my surprise, I felt blinded and overwhelmed by the colours in the city here. I had to put my hands over my eyes after a while, it was so overwhelming after months of gray skies, gray people, gray buildings and brown grass. I had never before thought of the nearest city as particularly colorful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 PM

411 posts, read 1,061,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Man BrushRunner - you'd love it up here... about 70 miles of the "highway" leading out to our place is just like your road Every spring it's bouncy as all get out, but by the end of summer it's flattened out a bit like the first part of your road. Let's not even discuss our "driveway" which is just ruts that are barely wide enough for the truck to fit between the trees, no hardpack or gravel either LOL

Here's a little sobering Population Density statistic (for city proper only):
Manilla: over 111K per sq mile
Tokyo: over 15k per sq mile (doesn't even make the top 50 list!)
New York, NY: over 27k per sq mile
Los Angeles, CA: appx 8k per sq mile
Seattle, WA: appx 6,700k per sq mile
Anchorage, AK: appx 164 per sq mile (it has the largest population, but has a much bigger land area)
Fairbanks, AK: appx 981 per sq mile
The closest village to me: 12 per sq mile
My neck of the woods: 0.75 per sq mile
Umm, I'm pretty sure Anchorage doesn't have the largest population......

Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM

40 posts, read 65,186 times
Quote:
Umm, I'm pretty sure Anchorage doesn't have the largest population......
It has the largest population in Alaska and he wrote that to explain why Fairbanks shows so many more per square mile. Even us country bumpkins got that one..jeese

Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 AM

16,884 posts, read 13,239,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Would a city of about 65,000 people and a metro population of about 100,000 people seem like a big city to you? Would an intersection with 4 lanes going one way, each lane with about 15 cars waiting for the green light seem overwhelming to you?

The reason I ask is because I live in a city about that size and it is near many cities with about 1,000,000 people. Many people here feel overwhelmed by the big city and I have always wondered if a city like the one I live in is overwhelming to someone who lives in a town of about 5,000 people. So, would a city of 65,000 people seem big to you?

65k? heck, anything over 10k would seem like a big city to me, I live in a town of 3900.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM

332 posts, read 572,094 times
Quote:
65k? heck, anything over 10k would seem like a big city to me, I live in a town of 3900.
If it does not have an airport, than it does not qualify as a big city in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,580,088 times
Quote:
What are you a hermit ? Since you live out in the middle of nowhere, if you were to call 911 because you were seriously physically injured enough for it to be life threatening, how long would it take for the police and an ambulance truck to come out to your house ? You would probably be dead by the time they arrived at your doorstep, right ? Do you even live in a house or is it a shack ? I ask because most people who live in areas where you can walk many miles without seeing a single other Human Being besides yourself, tend to live in shacks.
Oh Hell my drive way is 1/2 mile then it is all of that to the next place. The shack I like is is a small cape. If I called 911 they wouldn't know where to go in the first place, so I make sure i don't drop trees on my head.

Once I live 20 minutes for a paved road and that was only a 6 mile drive. It was better in winter, and a fast drive to the paved road might be done in 15 minutes in 4x4 drive high range.

I can ride a motorcycle on the weekends here on back roads and not see another car.

I have been to cities all over the USA, but don't like them and would never want to live in one. many are living hell holes to me, and most city people seem to live in some rundown getto. If I am wrong why then is there so many gettos.

I never am forced to listen to rap, which is good because when I hear that for more than 3 minutes it makes me want to kill. I don't have to plug my ears to sleep at night and i don't even have to lock the doors, or remove the keys from ignitions.

I like no one is around to bother me and if I want to spend all day shooting in the field out back I can and it won't bother anyone else.

I am very content to sped a lot of time in peace and quietly thinking over other projects, while working on one of them.

On 05 into 06 I took my bride from MH to Cal on a motor bike. We spent 10 months on the road, so driving in traffic isn't any problem. I did ride pretty fast near Binghamton NY though. You better or you won't live to tell of it.

I went faster on I-10 in west texas too, since the cross wind was hard and the triple piggy back trailers the trucks pull go around 90. If you are east bound, this puts the tractor in the passing lane and the last trailer in the break down lane, so ya gotta ride fast.

I did have a problem in New Mexico, but I was it for traffic. I was going around 65 mph when a tan object came from the right and it was closing fast. It hit me and bit me thru my chaps and pants, and I thought it was a puma. My wife got abetter look, and after I swallowed my heart, she told me it was a tumble weed.

Where I live moose are a bigger problem than cars..

A place traffic bothered me was a golden mile near St Louis, where there is a traffic light each 1/2 mile, and everyone has to go 70 between them. I had no use of that place. I just didn't see the point.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 AM

167 posts, read 238,118 times
Dont like that big city of yours, so we rarely go unless to the airport. We drive into towns under 2000 people from our 300 population thats about as big city as we get. Anything over three cars is a traffic jam.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times
We just moved in June to to us Big City,checked the Sign out pop. 388

Here is a Sign I've always got a kick out of.

brushrunner

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times
I lived in a town where rush hour was when everybody went to get their mail at the street after the mail man made the rounds. lol

Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,007,761 times
Quote:
If it does not have an airport, than it does not qualify as a big city in my opinion.

My hometown was so small we didn't have a village idiot = we all took turns.

Actually, my hometown was Phila. (a very different Phila from what it is today) I moved to rural Maryland when I was 13. We had one store, a grocery, and one church, Nazarene. Only one paved road. Where I live now is a small town, pop. 4,000+

I liked the Big City feel but I was young. I didn't like the rural area but then again, I was young and there was no excitement.

Currently, my town is small but surrounded by other small towns and so it has a bigger town feel. We do have an airport, and yet, still not a Big City.

In my town, a traffic jam is four cars at a four-way stop sign and nobody knowing who goes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living