U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM

187,874 posts, read 77,776,269 times

Advertisements

I have to if I want to get my fill of Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,804,010 times
Yep. It's fun to drive into Spokane for shopping and restaurants. More fun to know I'm driving back out at the end of the day to my little cabin in the woods. I love visiting Seattle too. Wouldn't want to live there though.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM

28,389 posts, read 18,200,556 times
For the most part I'll pass on big cities, I'm not a big fan of shopping, smaller towns/cities have plenty of good places to eat and typically more to see that I'm interested in. A couple things I do enjoy about large cities is the civil engineering that goes into large buildings and construction projects, it interests me to see how new challenges are addressed. The other thing I like about Seattle in particular is the waterfront and the aquarium and ferry trips. On the other hand, I have little patience for traffic and crowds, haven't made it there in years.

Last decent sized city I was in was Portland. Loved the microbrews, that was about it. Traffic was terrible, street layout where we were must have been done by someone while stoned. Parking was hard to find and expensive.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
I go into the city to go shopping because both are necessary evils, I wouldn't say I enjoy either. I was never one of those folks who could spend hours in stores just fondling merchandise and looking around... I combat shop, go-buy-leave as quickly as possible.

It's nice to go to restaurants while you're there, get a little change of pace and you don't have to cook it yourself or do the dishes. But I'd say eating at restaurants makes being in the city tolerable, a little bright point, not really a reason to go into the city in itself.

Movies - I'll get it later on DVD. Never been one for live theatrical performances, and I grew out of live concerts a while ago. Sports have never interested me, and that's what the TV is for anyway. For art, literature & culture the Internet & print publications do me just fine, I don't need to see it in person most of the time... it would have to be something really spectacular and engrossing for me to need to see it in person, and even then I'd want to be able to touch it, too (I've gotten in trouble at museums for this before LOL). The ability to go to a garden or zoo or aquarium to see species that aren't indigenous to my area is educational and somewhat enjoyable... once.

People need to see and do some things in person, and other things aren't that important... the difference is which is which. City people seem need to see and do stuff with "culture" that require other people in person, and can handle seeing the country and nature in books and other media. Country people seem to need to see and do stuff with nature in relative solitude in person, and can handle seeing cities and "culture" in books and other media. Just a matter of perspective, preference and priority I guess.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,468,884 times
It's getting harder and harder to put up with all of the traffic and crowds and "sameness" in large cities...What do I mean by "sameness?" I'm referring to all of the shopping centers and strip malls on nearly every corner...and all of the duplicate fast-food outlets and chain restaurants and big-box stores etc...Yuk...Everything starts to look exactly the same after awhile and it turns me off and kills off my spirit...And cars and traffic everywhere...It sure takes a lot of concentration to "stay safe" and find where I need to go etc.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,687,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I go into the city to go shopping because both are necessary evils, I wouldn't say I enjoy either. I was never one of those folks who could spend hours in stores just fondling merchandise and looking around... I combat shop, go-buy-leave as quickly as possible.

It's nice to go to restaurants while you're there, get a little change of pace and you don't have to cook it yourself or do the dishes. But I'd say eating at restaurants makes being in the city tolerable, a little bright point, not really a reason to go into the city in itself.

Movies - I'll get it later on DVD. Never been one for live theatrical performances, and I grew out of live concerts a while ago. Sports have never interested me, and that's what the TV is for anyway. For art, literature & culture the Internet & print publications do me just fine, I don't need to see it in person most of the time... it would have to be something really spectacular and engrossing for me to need to see it in person, and even then I'd want to be able to touch it, too (I've gotten in trouble at museums for this before LOL). The ability to go to a garden or zoo or aquarium to see species that aren't indigenous to my area is educational and somewhat enjoyable... once.

People need to see and do some things in person, and other things aren't that important... the difference is which is which. City people seem need to see and do stuff with "culture" that require other people in person, and can handle seeing the country and nature in books and other media. Country people seem to need to see and do stuff with nature in relative solitude in person, and can handle seeing cities and "culture" in books and other media. Just a matter of perspective, preference and priority I guess.
I mostly agree with you. I really don't like shopping and can't stand the thought of having to spend the whole day running around looking at stuff. When I do need something, I generally know exactly where I am likely to find it and go there, and that's it. The idea of browsing multiple stores looking for bargains or whatever is not me. I'd rather pay more to get it over with.

The one exception is books. I love bookstores. I love the way books look and smell and feel and the anticipation of the story within. Books from the library or ordered via the internet just don't give me the same amount of pleasure. So I admit to going to the city just to browse around in bookstore, and I also admit to smuggling my purchases into the house and lying about them to my husband the way other women lie about shoes

I do have to go to a small (10 or 12 thousand people) city to get my groceries, but I do the groceries, pay the bills, pick up feed, etc and get out of Dodge as fast as possible.

We have a few high-falutin' events my husband thinks we have to attend in the big city a few times a year, and I even enjoy them but not so much that I wouldn't prefer to skip them.

I think I might enjoy those things more if I wasn't so busy but I have the farm to run by myself due to my husband's health, along with the other work that I do, and being naturally introverted, I need my down time, which for me is a book. Sometimes the internet when all the words blur in a book.

In the summertime, weather permitting, we have one or two BBQs with anywhere from 50 - 100 people. I try to do that to keep myself from getting totally out of touch with friends and family. And my place is kind of a kid hang-out, where my siblings drop their herds off when they are busy, but I like it because we weren't fortunate enough to have children.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
I can get a little into shopping at bookstores and hardware stores myself... not the new-fangled big box stores, but the old & unique kind where you never know what little treasure you'll find tucked away half-hidden on a shelf. Since there aren't that many of those left anymore, and definitely not too many in my city, shopping is just a chore... even for those things.

Luckily, my husband isn't any more interested in big events in the city either. We have friends in the city who throw big shindigs every holiday, and we're lucky enough to snowbound for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter and can beg off due to weather and driving conditions. I enjoy the 4th of July picnic (their biggest) enough to last the whole year hahaha. Of course, they and other friends come to our place during hunting season... but then it's more about hunting and less about visiting so it doesn't stress me out too much

I know what you mean about downtime - you just need quiet and some time to yourself to recharge the batteries. Since extraverts get energy from being around other people it totally boggles their mind that us introverts get drained of energy around other people. I think I'm pretty close to what some people would consider a hermit, but I can interact with other people as often as is necessary; but I make sure it isn't necessary that often because it takes a lot out of me. I stay until I start burning too much energy and not a minute more LOL!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,535,340 times
I occasionally travel to the city exclusively for those things (dining and shopping), but most of the time, I travel to the city for work, so going again just to shop or dine doesn't really appeal to me very much. When I do a trip of that sort, I go in the opposite direction of where I work, so I get to see a different (and much smaller) city than the one I work in.

I agree with what the others posted about all the "sameness" in many cities. There is very little in many cities that is unique, but when a city has something unique, I find I tend to enjoy it more than "just more of the same." I tend to like cities that have historical districts (or exhibits), interesting museums or parks, unusual geographical features, or something else that sets it apart from most other cities. For this reason, I like Cheyenne, WY, because of the western heritage and railroad history, plus the Botanic Garden is quite nice. Sacramento, CA is another city I like, because of its California history, Gold Rush history, and its wonderful railroad museum and "Old Sacramento." I also find both of them to be interesting because of their places as the capitols of their respective states.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 AM

411 posts, read 1,060,827 times
Quote:

I do not understand your skewed logic....

And, BTW, I think the "sameness" people are referring to is the more suburban sprawl type of stuff. Downtowns usually have more uniqueness, character, and history in them.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 AM

28,389 posts, read 18,200,556 times
Quote:
You're thoughts are a lot like mine, I'm more of an active, do it myself sort of person. I enjoy a good movie, but would as soon watch it at home, where I can pause it and do whatever, than sit at a theater. As far as theater or concerts, I don't really care to watch what others are doing, I'd rather be out doing something myself. Hiking, ATVing, snowmobiling, canoeing, photography, whatever. For the most part, sporting events bore me, a bunch of grown men playing kids games.

Quote:
don't need to see it in person most of the time... it would have to be something really spectacular and engrossing for me to need to see it in person, and even then I'd want to be able to touch it, too (I've gotten in trouble at museums for this before LOL).
Your comment got me thinking strip clubs would be a reason to go to a larger city, but come to think of it, you're right, I'd want to be able to touch there...and (from what I understand) that gets you in big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living