U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM

28,394 posts, read 18,200,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
And, BTW, I think the "sameness" people are referring to is the more suburban sprawl type of stuff. Downtowns usually have more uniqueness, character, and history in them.
To an extent I'd agree, most cities, especially older ones, have a core with a unique character and history. However, that core is usually surrounded by a large urban area with the "sameness" of office buildings, resturants, coffee shops, etc, with many of the same franchises in most cities. All this long before you geto to the "suburbs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
I do not understand your skewed logic....
I don't know what part of my logic you find skewed. Could you expand on your confusion so that I can address it? I'm not trying to convert anyone; but if explaining my perspective better will be helpful, I'm willing to discuss it.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM

7,938 posts, read 16,460,876 times
All the time when we were rural residents. I've discovered I'm just not a small town person.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 AM

411 posts, read 1,060,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I don't know what part of my logic you find skewed. Could you expand on your confusion so that I can address it? I'm not trying to convert anyone; but if explaining my perspective better will be helpful, I'm willing to discuss it.
You just seem like you feel that you're too good for everything. I completely understand if you don't necessarily like art and stuff, but seeing things (not necessarily art) from a TV or computer screen isn't the same as seeing them in person.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 65,164 times
Quote:
You just seem like you feel that you're too good for everything. I completely understand if you don't necessarily like art and stuff, but seeing things (not necessarily art) from a TV or computer screen isn't the same as seeing them in person.
You are absolutely correct that there is nothing to see in the country compared to the city where you see collections in an artificial environment made to look like a real environment from which the art or object originally came from. In the country you can see and experience regional concerts, playhouses, wildlife in its natural habitat, you can see artists where they create their art while they are doing it, you can see historical sites, poets, and real Americana up close and personal where you can participate, touch things, and interact with real people so who wants that.

Its much better in the city where everyone is educated and cultured and where you can actually see things in person...behind a roped off area, behind glass, and with tens of thousands of other educated and cultured types. Heck I know country stuff isnt as good because it doesnt cost much to do it.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,468,884 times
I enjoy spending time in historical downtown areas...Sad that malls and shopping centers had such a negative effect on "Main Streets" across America thru the years.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,574,553 times
My wife and i toured the USA on a motorcycle in 05 into 06, taking 10 months, making 15,000 miles. We saw St Louis because there is the Lewis and Clark musum there, then we saw Clovis Fresno because i have a buddy there, the rest was no cites and by passing as many as possible.

Every so often I am forced by family need, to suffer some city hell. Boswash is the pits. I can't find Boswash on any maps but from Boston to DC it seems to be one sprawling city if you ask me and no fun at all on a bike.

Probably if you lived there I do you would die of bordom, but I like it alot, and try to avoid going out at all anytime I can't ride. When I can ride I head to the boonies.

Chances are I know more about moose than I do people. Once my moose wanted to go to the city, but I didn't have a quarter, so my moose didn't get to go see people.

We crossed Nevada on Rt 50 the so called loneliest highway in America. It was, and to the point skeeters there don't know man is a meal. We loved it.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,901,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Every so often I am forced by family need, to suffer some city hell. Boswash is the pits. I can't find Boswash on any maps but from Boston to DC it seems to be one sprawling city if you ask me and no fun at all on a bike.
...or a car, or a bus, etc., etc.

It was hard for me as a kid to grasp just how big and dense that area is.
As a teen in (very) rural Washington state, we had a kid move in from Philadelphia. Of course, we noticed a new kid, got to know him. He was ok, but it was like he and the rest of us were from different planets. I remember him telling us he'd never been out of the city in his life. We just couldn't figure that one out. Of course, to us, our city of reference was the nearest (still a bit far from us) humongous city of Spokane. We just couldn't figure out how you could be 15 and never made it out of a city.

We weren't the brightest bulbs, or more accurately, maybe hadn't been exposed to much.

Of course, he really hadn't either. He wanted to see "the Indians". He told us this in the school cafeteria, so we just stood up and started pointing..."There, there, over there, there, there, etc. He thought they'd still be in teepees. We told him to open his eyes, some of them still had teepees...in their backyards.

"You mean they just let wild animals roam around loose!?" Yup.

But, as I've gotten older, I learned we shouldn't have looked down on him, nor he us. It's all just different. He'd never seen a wild bear, I'd never seen a heroin addict. It's just different.

Some will like the city, some not...no big deal...just wish people would try to keep the stereotypes and assumptions about people to themselves.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,468,884 times
I think my parents "raised me right" even tho I grew up in Southern California...Every Sunday we took drives out to the "country" to see farms and fruits and vegetables growing...and farm animals and miles and miles of open space and un-touched nature...We lived in a city but the city didn't "own us" or totally control us...I moved to AZ later in life to get away from the "rat race" in CA...But now...AZ seems like a copy-cat and carbon-copy of CA in too many ways and I feel like a "sardine in a can" here....Can't wait to move away...So the thought of spending too much time in big cities turns my stomach right now....I long for open space and nature and room to breathe...not congestion and bumper-to-bumper traffic and crowds and long lines and smog.....Or "same-old same old" strip centers and big box stores and homes and roof-tops all in a row that all look alike etc.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM

176 posts, read 517,821 times
There is a question of definition here: what is a "big city"? A lot of people in rural areas are going to refer to a city of 100,000 as a big city; a lot of other people are limiting big cities to metropolitan areas of a million or more population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living