Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 17,407 times

Advertisements

I just made a purchase offer on a home in mooresville nc, subdivision of ashley woods. They tell me they have a community well. Anyone know where I can obtain information about a community well, who maintains it and tests it etc. How much it pumps and has it ever run dry. How many households it supplies. I have had wells on my own property before but never dealty with a community well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
It would depend. Here large sub-division developers are required to intall a community system which is then turned over to the County Public Works Department for operations. Ownership is transferred.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
You need to check with your county authority. Most health departments inspect and monitors public water supplies (which includes community wells).

Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej574 View Post
I just made a purchase offer on a home in mooresville nc, subdivision of ashley woods. They tell me they have a community well. Anyone know where I can obtain information about a community well, who maintains it and tests it etc. How much it pumps and has it ever run dry. How many households it supplies. I have had wells on my own property before but never dealty with a community well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
You should be able to find out everything you need from the company that supplies your water. Where I live, we have a "Mutual Water Company" which owns and operates several wells, a few tanks, and the distribution system to about 400 residential customers and about a dozen businesses. This company is owned by the shareholders, who are, in turn, the "customers." In essence, the whole system is community owned. Our water company keeps records for the information you are seeking, so it wouldn't really be much of a problem to provide that information to one of the customers on our system.

Something you may have is a "shared well." This is a little different than what I think of as a community well, in that it is shared by a small number of users (each of them is a "partner"), and is a private system. In most of the cases I know about, the costs are split equally among the partners. When testing or repairs are required, each partner pays his share of the expense. Another way expenses can be split is by usage, which would require the installation of water meters. For example, if you use 25% of the water, another partner uses 35% of the water, and the remaining partner uses 40% of the water, that would be how expenses would be split.

In the case of a shared well, record keeping may leave something to be desired. A lot of this may depend on what your state's reporting requirements are. Generally, if the state doesn't require a particular report, chances are pretty good that report will never be created.

If you are not successful in obtaining the information you are seeking from the water company, then I would suggest you contact the appropriate state agency. They may well have these records on file.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
The US EPA considers any system serving more than 15 connections or 25 people to be a public water supply. States vary tremendously in who enforces this and how, sometimes even within a state.

If the "community well" falls under these regulations there often is information online about each system and its compliance, although not always user friendly. You can start with Public Drinking Water Systems | Safewater | Water | US EPA to look.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,545 times
hello I have question regarding a well?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Hello and welcome... What is your question?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej574 View Post

Community Well, Shared Well...Could be complicated, unless reserves are saved for future repair or replace.
Wouldn’t be for me.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
our water system sends a report out every six months, its a coummity well system

Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM

305 posts, read 241,306 times
I have a shared well. I share it with 2 neighbors. I set of neighbors is great, never no issues always pays. The other neighbors are terrible, always have a reason they cannot pay their bill. It is a headache i could live without. I will never own another home with a shared well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living