Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

I’ve read more than one thread saying there are no jobs in small towns. I’ve lived in or near a small town for over 40 years earned a good living as has Mrs5150. We live 8 miles from a town of 4500. Mrs5150 is a small town lawyer. I am a retired Social Worker (this county ). I just had my car serviced by my mechanic in town. Used a plumber and a handyman more than once. A good friend is a carpenter and his wife is a bookkeeper. Last month I had my teeth cleaned by a tech at my dentist’s office. This afternoon I will do some grocery shopping at Safeway-not the only store in town. Honestly, I’m tired of my doctor sending me to have bloodwork tests at the local hospital, but his staff are friendly and competent. And yes, we have schools and a lumber milll!

So what I’m saying there are jobs to be had, and good ones in small town America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:37 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’ve read more than one thread saying there are no jobs in small towns. I’ve lived in or near a small town for over 40 years earned a good living as has Mrs5150. We live 8 miles from a town of 4500. Mrs5150 is a small town lawyer. I am a retired Social Worker (this county ). I just had my car serviced by my mechanic in town. Used a plumber and a handyman more than once. A good friend is a carpenter and his wife is a bookkeeper. Last month I had my teeth cleaned by a tech at my dentist’s office. This afternoon I will do some grocery shopping at Safeway-not the only store in town. Honestly, I’m tired of my doctor sending me to have bloodwork tests at the local hospital, but his staff are friendly and competent. And yes, we have schools and a lumber milll!

So what I’m saying there are jobs to be had, and good ones in small town America.
I have heard the same complaints (no jobs) about my area. I'm 71 and have always made enough money to pay my debts and have some left over. As a truck driver for many of the years I made about $75K/year. But even warehouse jobs paid $40K/year. Of course it is not as much as the lawyers, dentist and doctors make; but it is enough to survive (if you don't overspend). Being frugal helps no matter where you live.

People always have to keep in mind that if a job doesn't pay enough; that you should constantly look for a better job or get the training needed. Even today I still like to read about any new opportunities in my community. I encourage others to try to get their foot in the door when companies first open for business - it's a great time and the employers are hungry for workers.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It all depends on the small town. I live in a town that is 2,000 people in the city limits, and a little more than that in subdivisions around the town.

Incomes--Median income exceeds state median incomes.

Jobs --Very low unemployment, and a lot of places like McDonald's are constantly advertising for help, and if you go in to apply, if you are able to fill the needs they hire on the spot, and pay adults at $14 an hour and students at $12.

Median home prices above state median home prices.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM

107 posts, read 113,103 times
You're absolutely right. Also, people often overlook Government jobs. Some of the best paying/best benefits jobs in small towns/rural areas is the town/county government.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

The problem is there aren’t enough jobs. A small town can only support so many jobs.

Take your plumber. Now one or two plumbers can service a small town . Say you had 10 plumbers. Now you got too many so 8 plumbers aren’t working.
Same with anything else. Unless there is enough work for everyone or the town is expanding and needs the additional workforce there will only be so many jobs needing to be filled

Old 12-28-2018, 07:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Develop you're mechanical skills and hire yourself out as a handyman. Mechanics, painting, minor plumbing and electrical repairs. I'm adding welding to my offerings as well. Still need to hone my tile work skills but that will be next too. Always a way to make a buck and not work for the man.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownJerseyBoy View Post
You're absolutely right. Also, people often overlook Government jobs. Some of the best paying/best benefits jobs in small towns/rural areas is the town/county government.
Really? I thought everyone wanted the government jobs and there is a lot of competition. In big cities the government jobs pay less but the security attracts applicants.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The problem is there aren’t enough jobs. A small town can only support so many jobs.

Take your plumber. Now one or two plumbers can service a small town . Say you had 10 plumbers. Now you got too many so 8 plumbers aren’t working.
Same with anything else. Unless there is enough work for everyone or the town is expanding and needs the additional workforce there will only be so many jobs needing to be filled
Maybe so, but if you really want to make it small town America you will find a way. There are maybe five or six plumbers in our area. My guess if a seventh moved to town he’d do ok. I’ve And we’ve always done fine in the small town of our choosing. We chose skill sets that work anywhere.

Granted we never wanted to live in a town of 200, but living 8 miles from a town of 4500 suites us just fine.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:57 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Really? I thought everyone wanted the government jobs and there is a lot of competition. In big cities the government jobs pay less but the security attracts applicants.
They do and there is. There is no way the people I dealt with at the post office and the BMV 30 years ago would be hired today. In order to get a full-time government job, you often need to work part-time for years.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I’ve read more than one thread saying there are no jobs in small towns.

I live 6 miles from the closest town of ~2500. There is a city to the NW of about 30K and one SE of about 11k population. I've been here 40 years. I started out waiting tables (high school), got a job with the government social programs then went into environmental consulting. There are jobs and good ones for those who will apply themselves. Its my experiences that those who want a job can find one and those who dont, dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living