U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,469,430 times

Advertisements

When did you first realize that you were a misfit in the city? I grew up in Southern California during the fifties and early sixties when there was still open land left and farms and countryside and barren hills left...When rapid development took over and cities became side-by-side seas of concrete and asphalt and fast food outlets and big-box chain stores and "cookie-cutter" tract homes...I just felt like I couldn't breathe anymore....I felt suffocated and strangled and lost and just wanted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,010,446 times
I also grew up in the 1950s and 1960s but in rural deep eastern Texas much of which has also become urbanized. I've always felt "out-of-place" in cities but knew that I had to live in the bellies of the beast in order to make a living for my family. I now have a retirement and have happily escaped with my family from the large American communes where anger is honored and mediocrity is adored. When Americans who believe in individualism and freedom disappears, so will America.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I also grew up in the 1950s and 1960s but in rural deep eastern Texas much of which has also become urbanized. I've always felt "out-of-place" in cities but knew that I had to live in the bellies of the beast in order to make a living for my family. I now have a retirement and have happily escaped with my family from the large American communes where anger is honored and mediocrity is adored. When Americans who believe in individualism and freedom disappears, so will America.
Glad you finally got out of the city....

Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM

It's always been hard for me to understand how people could be content living in "look-alike" tract homes bumped right up against their neighbors...Or how people put up with homeowner associations that charge them high fees and dictate what they can...or can't do on their own property....

Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It's always been hard for me to understand how people could be content living in "look-alike" tract homes bumped right up against their neighbors...Or how people put up with homeowner associations that charge them high fees and dictate what they can...or can't do on their own property....
I imagine people who live in a homeowner association don't want their area turned into a place that resembles the village dump.

After spending the last 2 weeks touring rural areas of the rural south, a homeowners association is starting to look quite attractive.

When you see old newspapers, plastic,etc blowing across a road from a place where the owner doesn't give a darn, itwould soon get irritating.

Nothing wrong with being poor.
Being poor shouldn't equate to living like pigs.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,010,446 times
Quote:
I see it as a necessary evil to increasing population levels. Like the barnyard chickens who used to have the freedom to roam the whole farm, we are perhaps lucky that they are now happy to live in cages on concrete and be fed daily.

If humans were not so happy to trade freedom for security and easier lifestyles, we would undoubtedly have perpetual war. I thank my Creator that I was not born 50 or 100 years from now.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 PM

411 posts, read 1,060,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I imagine people who live in a homeowner association don't want their area turned into a place that resembles the village dump.

After spending the last 2 weeks touring rural areas of the rural south, a homeowners association is starting to look quite attractive.

When you see old newspapers, plastic,etc blowing across a road from a place where the owner doesn't give a darn, itwould soon get irritating.

Nothing wrong with being poor.
Being poor shouldn't equate to living like pigs.
OMG I feel like you took my exact thoughts into words!

Anyway, besides being told what you can and cannot do as far as HOAs, how does living in a city compromise one's freedom?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
OMG I feel like you took my exact thoughts into words!

Anyway, besides being told what you can and cannot do as far as HOAs, how does living in a city compromise one's freedom?
I want to live as far away as I can from "city ways." I don't want to be a "busy-body" and insist that my neighbors live their life in a way that pleases me...I want some space around my house and I want to give others the space they need to be true to themselves too...I don't want a city or homeowner's organization telling me that I can't put up a basketball hoop in my front yard...or that I have to paint my house "tan" to match other homes in the area etc....

Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Quote:
When did you first realize that you were a misfit in the city?
When the area I live in started exploding in population. It was largely rural once upon a time; now there is little 'open' area left. It's been time to leave for me for quite some time. I will escape, though. The place is driving me insane.

Quote:
I'd sooner live in a tent on the side of the mountain than tolerate a home owner association. It's not that I'm a pig either--I just generally don't pay people to tell me how to run my life. I don't take kindly to other folks telling me when to wipe my butt and how to do it, or calling the police if there is a dandelion on the lawn. I get enough playing God from the government.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:42 PM

It's like the cliche or tale about the frog that was put in a pan of cold water and set on the stove...The heat under the pan was low at first so the frog didn't notice the heat right away since the change in temperature was "gradual."...This is what happens in cities...people don't see that they are losing their rights and more of their uniqueness each and every day....The city demands comformity and following trends and never questioning much of anything....I've actually seen people in a city get labeled a "hick" just because they dared to ask too many questions...or because they drove a later model car etc....Pretty sad and spooky...at least to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living