U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Huh? How is this responsive to my post that you replied to, the one that pointed out that there is, indeed, a Right to Farm law in your state and the purpose for it as stated on the website. Did you look at the website or jump straight to non sequitor reply?

The city folk in question, by the way, rarely knock on people's doors. Letters of complaint to the editor, meaningless lawsuits, and attempts to change the laws to make the country more like the city are the more common tactics.
To be honest with you, I was thinking the same thing. I live in Maine (the Northeast) and we have the Right to Farm Act as well, one of the most progressive and important pieces of legislation possibly enacted by congress to help farmers. Well maybe the Soil and Water Conservation Act 70 years ago might be right up there...but you know what I mean.

From using GMO corn, to spreading manure, to a braying donkey...it is all covered thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM

17,094 posts, read 22,611,642 times
I find the list in the OP quite accurate. We've got that problem in Vermont, and in response we've passed right to farm laws, laws protecting pre-existing shooting ranges, a constitutional amendment protecting the right to hunt, and we have a long history of pre-emption on firearms laws keeping cities like Burlington from restricting the right to own/carry guns. The only problems we can't pass a law against is the posting of most land by these "flatlanders" as they're called here, limiting available land for hunting/trapping (primarily in southern Vermont where more of them move to, and in Chittenden County around Burlington), and the other problem, is they send land prices (and taxes) through the roof. It would be very expensive to buy land here for even a small (50 acre or so) farm today.

I myself have experienced the subdivisions trying to shut down shooting ranges or control their rural neighbors (try to pass ordinances against shooting, hunting, control how people's homes look, etc.). I've dealt with the stupid calls to the police when some transplanted NYC'er or such sees a gun carried, I've dealt with the animal rights groups trying to stop our hunting and trapping in various ways, I've experienced animal rights activists trying to interfere with mine and others' hunting, trappers have caught them tampering with traps, they've created protests when towns hire trappers to catch a few beavers flooding a road or such, etc. They've incrementally restricted logging activities and sue all the time over it. I can go on with a long rant on how these people are trying to destroy Vermont. So here's my advice to city people moving to rural areas: don't try to change things, leave city ideas and politics in the city.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM

121 posts, read 310,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
1. Don't come live out here and harass me about my livestock stinkin', I don't go into your city and tell you how bad your cars stink, do I?
I realized I had passed a major milestone in the country livin' attitude when I drove past my neighbor's huge pile of cow manure, and realized that instead of complaining to myself about the smell, I had just thought, "I wish MY pile was that big!"

I used to covet cars and computers. Now I covet fruit trees and cow manure.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM

40 posts, read 65,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You know what, though? They're NOT always different. I don't find any of these perspectives difficult to understand, it's called putting yourself in somebody else's shoes.

By the way, the reason that cow manure makes good fertilizer is because .......
The whole Rapier wit part got by ya huh?

Here is another difference apparently, country folk understand subtle humor....

Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,580,088 times
Quote:
1. Don't come live out here and harass me about my livestock stinkin', I don't go into your city and tell you how bad your cars stink, do I?
2. You live 10 miles away from me, there is no way in hell the donky's brayin' is keepin' you awake. Maybe it's that music you want someone in another country to hear.(If I get rid of him, the stock will get ate by predators).
3. Rodeo's are not cruel, go back to watchin' animal planet.
4. Don't ***** at me about the fact there ain't no malls out here.
5. Most people out here eat meat, it's like telling a lion to eat a turnip green, it ain't happening. Plus, what the hell do I have canines for, if not tearing flesh. Go back to your land of soy and stop screamin' that we are murderers.
6. Just because this is a tourist area, dosen't give you the right to wander onto my property.
(People do actually come out her and yell at us. I ain't makin' any of this up.)

Are we neighbors?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Twice have been visited by the state because city people have no idea about horses. The state of NH says each horse must have a stall in shelter. My horse had 2, one inside the barn, and another lean too with 3 walls and a roof, so is it my fault the horse stands near the road in winter with snow on it's back?

Each vist, my hay was counted as much as it is possible to count 300 bales of stacked hay neat, and each time my grain on hand was checked, and since i had to go to town to buy that, I had plenty in reserve.

I have had the cops called on me for carrying a flintlock musket on horse back. I just hunted that way. My horse would stand around while I hunted and we would ride home when I was done.

Twice the cops were called by city dwellers taking a nap on a postage stamp of land they built a reall funny looking box on, that looked like a giant chicken coop with fancy windows. That land belongs to a friend of mine, and he was there with me, and we were having target practice. The cop told us we had to leave, and my friend the land owner said no. Then we heard more about the complaint. Thing was he was on his own 160 achers Granted by King George. We didn't go anywhere.

And since when is NJ any part of the Nor'East? NY is the last mid east coast state, and only the 6 New England States are the Nor' East. It snows up here a lot.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Regarding complaints by people who haven't a clue, you might enjoy this sad, but true, and absolutely hilarious, story: Your Horses Are On Fire. (http://www.horseshoes.com/humor/hrsfire/yrhraron.htm - broken link)

I start giggling uncontrollably whenever I read it, no matter how many times I've read it before.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Regarding complaints by people who haven't a clue, you might enjoy this sad, but true, and absolutely hilarious, story: Your Horses Are On Fire. (http://www.horseshoes.com/humor/hrsfire/yrhraron.htm - broken link)

I start giggling uncontrollably whenever I read it, no matter how many times I've read it before.

Great read. I have seen that effect many times, but am not smart enough to know my horses were on fire! I thought it was just steam from them melting off snow, maybe mixed in with the mollases fortified grains i feed them in NH winters, which seemingly is colder than where ever this story took place. Normaly the first snow here it the last some to melt in Spring.

Standing in the 'the pile' is a great way to get sun cracks too. I already assume you know that. LOL great tale....

Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,043,793 times
Quote:
2. You live 10 miles away from me, there is no way in hell the donky's brayin' is keepin' you awake. Maybe it's that music you want someone in another country to hear.(If I get rid of him, the stock will get ate by predators).
3. Rodeo's are not cruel, go back to watchin' animal planet.
4. Don't ***** at me about the fact there ain't no malls out here.
5. Most people out here eat meat, it's like telling a lion to eat a turnip green, it ain't happening. Plus, what the hell do I have canines for, if not tearing flesh. Go back to your land of soy and stop screamin' that we are murderers.
6. Just because this is a tourist area, dosen't give you the right to wander onto my property.
(People do actually come out her and yell at us. I ain't makin' any of this up.)
And they say city folk and snoody, stuck up, rude, and snobby. They havent got anything on country folk.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
And they say city folk and snoody, stuck up, rude, and snobby. They havent got anything on country folk.
The thing is country dwellers don't go to the city and whine... On the other hand city people come to the country and pull big shot BS all the time.

After a while it gets old.

I used to drive teams to haul tourist on a big sled called a pung, and some city guy mr Big Breeches, parked directly in front of signs saying do not park here on both side. It also said trail entrance.

I caight up with thr guy by chance with a sled load of around 24 poeple who paid for the ride. The guy moved away on my request, but when i came back in 45 minutes to get my next group for rides, there was this jerk vehical. That left me no choice but to turn in my tracks and chain up his jeep wagoneer, and drag it to a pull over I made in the wood a few hundred yards away. I worked till 1 AM, and the guy never showed up so I left his jeep where I put it.

The next moring all hell broke loose, the guy got my number from the service desk and I had another job to go to. That jerk swore at me, and said he was going to get Mass DOT to bust me LOL. Mass DOT can't do much in New Hampshire.

By the time 4pm came around I this guy had called me many times swearing and making legal and phyiscal threats, He had a wrecker come which was stuck too, and I while I was pulling out the wrecker the guy was still making threats both kinds and swearing.

When it was his turn I looked him in the eye and told him 100 bucks, or the spring runoff will move that jeep to Saco Maine where you can pick up whats left of it. After more yelling, swearing and threats he could see i was un-moved. He wrote a check and I laughed in his face. I was headed to get my first ride when he came with cash, and I hooked him out once the money was in my hand.

Something like that now would be 500 bucks.. He got off easy.

Maybe he just needed reading lesson eh? Coulda been deaf too I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or