U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times

Advertisements

My main problem with city people is that every summer, they think our place is a park or a petting zoo or something. The concept of having to get certain things done in certain seasons and not having the time to squire them around is something I have a real problem explaining without being rude. It's like they think some farmer's version of cobbler's elves are mowing ten acres of lawn and weeding flower and vegetable gardens, in addition to the fields and livestock.

I just wish they would get there is a time not to visit, and seeding time and harvest time would be two of those times. And need I add that they also expect supper?

But all in all, I don't like lists like the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,174,079 times
I would rather ~ much, much rather! ~ smell cow$hit than live in the incarceration of an HOA!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,525,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
1. Don't come live out here and harass me about my livestock stinkin', I don't go into your city and tell you how bad your cars stink, do I?
2. You live 10 miles away from me, there is no way in hell the donky's brayin' is keepin' you awake. Maybe it's that music you want someone in another country to hear.(If I get rid of him, the stock will get ate by predators).
3. Rodeo's are not cruel, go back to watchin' animal planet.
4. Don't ***** at me about the fact there ain't no malls out here.
5. Most people out here eat meat, it's like telling a lion to eat a turnip green, it ain't happening. Plus, what the hell do I have canines for, if not tearing flesh. Go back to your land of soy and stop screamin' that we are murderers.
6. Just because this is a tourist area, dosen't give you the right to wander onto my property.
(People do actually come out her and yell at us. I ain't makin' any of this up.)

I love the sound of donkeys and chickens cackling, reminds me of OK. I miss it!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM

67 posts, read 133,025 times
Quit whinin'

Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM

7,772 posts, read 13,223,327 times
Several years ago some "city folks" came to our area (western Ky.) to deer hunt. They had leased the land and went out and bought new rifles they showed off to everybody. One man showed up at the deer check station all excited about his first deer. Fish and Wildlife people went to check out the deer on his trailer and immediately gave the man a ticket...for shooting a cow!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM

260 posts, read 828,141 times
In my little town, they just built a new hotel, right next to a farm's cow pasture. I can just see the people who come and stay there. First seeing the cows will be considered "quaint". Until the wind shifts and they don't want to open their windows anymore...

I agree with Jesse. We have deer in our yard (their idea, not ours) and we get people who drive by and yell at us for "keeping deer"....

Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
I have never noticed an odor from cattle grazing in a pasture.( regardless the direction of the wind )

Do you even know the difference between the words pasture and feedlot ?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,576,595 times
new topic.

When you drive down a road you think might go somewhere and find a house at the end. See people working, don't just turn around and drive away!

It makes you look like a crook and we rural dwellers don't like crooks!. Drive up to where you see people and smile say your name and i was lost or something. Other wise you could find yer new red truck full of holes unless it can drive faster than my .308 can fly!

We don't care of you made an error, wanting to see what's on the other end of a back lane, but we want to know you didn't just rip us off, while we were WORKING out back where the work takes place.

We know you see us, and we see you too.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Ever think of posting a sign that says----' Dead end road" ( if it's a public roasd)

or --" private road" --if it isn't a public road ?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Ahhh, don't feel bad. Folks around here feel it is their right and that somehow it's okay to blast their freaking thumping junk car stereos full blast so everyone in the town knows they were stupid enough to waste thousands of dollars on useless, annoying junk. Nobody has a hardon except them. I'd rather hear a cow farting.

(since we are whining about stuff... sorry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or