Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

I kind of wanna live in a small town, but with a degree in GIS and urban planning, the VAST majority of jobs for my degree are in large cities.

Long question short, when you've got a degree and training for a job that isn't where you want to be... what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM

31 posts, read 93,846 times
Switch gears! My husband had a Technical Degree that didn't fit into our lifestyle plans, so after weighing the options, he decided to become a certified welder. It pays well and it's a skill that can be used in rural areas or travel to jobs 2 or 3 times a year.

The way I look at it is you only have 1 shot at life- why not live it the way YOU want to.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
Move to a fringe area and commute to work.

An example is here in the eastern panhandle of WV. Many of the counties in WV are still working through the mandated GIS mapping; most counties do not have zoning with the exception of Jefferson (most eastern county in WV, where I live) which has a LESA zoning system. The county recently voted down a typical euclidian zoning proposal which I'm sure at some point will be re-worked and put back on the ballot. So there may be employment within the immediate area or although this area is still somewhat rural, it is commutable by car, carpool or train to DC & it's burbs as well as any of the other cities in MD and northern & north-western VA.
This area has the small town feel, while still having a high pay scale and employment in many fields. Google Shepherdstown WV, Shepherd University, Harpers Ferry WV & Charles Town and look at the proximity to the larger nearby cities in VA & MD.
Although total cost of living is still much cheaper than in nearby MD & VA areas, when it comes to a home on a larger lot, that has become somewhat expensive here compared to more rural areas to the west--where employment is scarce & pay is much lower. For example I have a total of about 6.5 acres with my house (house on 3.9 & adjoining 2.7 building lot) and together I'm asking over $360k. It's unrestricted so I can still have a hobby farm with my gardening, chickens, honeybees & goats. And there are no HOA fees, well & septic so no water bills, electricty averages about $140/month and real estate taxes are less than $2,000 a year.

I would think there are many similar areas throughout the country with similar geographic and economic factors that would give you a rural or semi-rural area to live within a commutable proximity of good employment.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM

261 posts, read 1,271,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
Move to a fringe area and commute to work.
I second that.

To make any money in my industry, I have to work in a decent-sized city (at least 100K). However, I chose to live about 20 miles outside the city in an area that has a population density of about 40 people per square mile. I would love to be even more rural and have more land, but I'm happy to take the piece of pie God handed to me.

And, after a few years, I'm honestly quite surprised that I haven't grown to hate the 35-minute commute to work. The drive is too relaxing for me to be annoyed at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living