U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 PM

188,394 posts, read 77,796,267 times

Advertisements

My dad called common sense "Horse Sense." He gave horses credit for being smarter than some college graduates. Now that I have out lived him I now he was right. Common sense can't be found in a text book. Common sense says don't leave the hen house door open at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 PM

7,942 posts, read 16,467,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
And why would a woman want to toss 70 pound hay bales into the barn loft? Unless no man is around, i can't see why they would, as men hate that too.
I'd far rather do that than change diapers.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,580,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'd far rather do that than change diapers.

Been there done that, now he's 30, and has his own son, and he's doing it.

Used to be it took 2 to get there, but i am older and don't know of it still works that way or not.

My wife and I still practice but since we are both fixed, I don't suppose much will come of it, and it never seemed to be a skill set for rural dwelling or have much to do with common sence either.

Ummm today checking the end of sap season for maple sugar, there was around 20 chicadee's flitering about, and maybe to them this is common sence.

Funny though as at one mini Ron Dee Voo we went too, on a Seneca Run, 'any' participant in the game ran around a coner to find judges and a life size baby doll needing a diaper change. This time that diaper was loaded with peanut butter. What surprised me is that both men and women became ill. That wasn't as bad as a cat having kittens in th closet.

Then of course back in the day, when men hunted with stone tipped lances and spears would a woman want to go hungery because her man was home doing domestics? We are not really very far from there, and could be there again whether or not we like it.

To me it wouldn't be all that big of a deal, and to maybe 20 other guys I know it would be about that same, but I sure don't know about the rest of 'us'. Of that I know my wife would be doing all the traditional things women once did, and I woiuld be doing the same that men did.

Like it or not I am stronger in my upper body even at my age than my wife who is 11 years younger. I already know how to make stone tools too

I could let her flitter around to start fire with a drill, but at first anyway if i wanted hot pine needle tea i would have to start the fires. She hasn't learned the skill set for fire with no store bought tools yet, a sad state of affirs for a guy like me. She does flint and steel fine, but then you need a steel and you need something to charr.

With my drill I don't need squat. Where you and I go wrong is I start from the basics and move up, and you start from what you are accustomed too and can't move down very well.

I have a 50 years + advantage in that for my whole life so far I have been rural, hunted, and gathered in primitive ways, ways where you get the idea right, or you suffer the consequences, which can be very cold, very hungery and very tired.

I have skill sets that go back 5,000 years and come to current more or less, a life style, and to the point money makes no sence. Money is a medium supposedly backed up by a Govt for a given value. If the day the backed up idea goes in the hopper, then it is end of game, which could mean end of life, but not for me it won't.

Money as I see it went out of being popular in 1957, when the last silver certificate was printed. I was 6 then, and got a used .22 rifle for my birthday. Ate game that afternoon too.

I sure don't understand this new so called better, faster, modern way at all. Just don't see no common sence in it.

I got lucky too, and a women who wanted a man like me, your basic knuckel dragger type, found me. She is my angel and my best friend.

She likes being female, and doing her things, and where we can share we do, but when I am out bustin knuckels for dollars, she is at art or writting. Like I said she is very good at both.

Just when was the last time you has a shirt full of hay anyway? That stuff is wildly itchy.... it's in your eyes, up your nose, and down your shirt trying to get in your pants! Then it's in your boots, and woven into your socks! Are you sure diapers are all that bad?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM

7,942 posts, read 16,467,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Then of course back in the day, when men hunted with stone tipped lances and spears would a woman want to go hungery because her man was home doing domestics? We are not really very far from there, and could be there again whether or not we like it.
In the studies on modern hunter-gather societies, it's actually common for the women to supply the majority of calories in a day's meal through the gatherer side of the equation. The men's hunting activity is a high risk-high reward proposition, especially when you haven't gotten to accurate bow and arrow stage, and it's common for the tribe's access to animal protein to be rather intermittent in many climates and locations.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,580,088 times
It takes both to make gathered items last. It is pretty hard to sun dry everything with no fats to store it in, items like pemicam. Some of these groups were matriarchal society too, and often times the women carried any valuable leaving the men to defend.

Today I have no problem with a women who does the same jib as a man at all, but i would have a problem with a woman who wasn't big enough to do a job a man can.

An example is if a fire fighter must carry a 200 pound sack in training to work with on a ladder a women should be able to do that same thing. Maybe a few women can, and if so I would have o problem, but the way it works these days is the woman gets a lighter load. That won't work if she has to carry a 200 pound anyone.

Primitive bows are not known to be inaccurate, and if you grow up using one every day it won't be inaccurate. Before these atlatals were common and they are not inaccurate either.

I have personally made both, and more than once.

In my world my wife and I are a team, and because she can do things better in some areas than I can, and I can in some areas she can't.

Some things we end up equal, so I am not coming from the point of man or woman is better than the other, but they in a general way do things differently.

I don't like my wife to labor hard when I can do it faster. That wood splitting thing, makes her work harder, than I think she should, but watching her wind up is ammusing. She has to hit the wood more times because she isn't as accurate as I am and she just isn't as strong as I am, so she will never be my equal in that skill.

There is a lot of guys that will never equal my skill there either, because i have other skills with wood, and can tell a tree in winter, or after it was cut into lumber, and understand properties in woods, some softer for carving, some harder best used to make mauls and drive a chisel, other woods more stable for furniture, better woods for heat than others and so on, so I know which way the wood being split should be hit and where.

My wife can tell trees now in winter too, but not with out lessons from me. She enjoys nature like me. I just have a lot more experience than she does, but she is catchin up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living