U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,469,430 times

Advertisements

Even tho I grew up in Southern CA my parents raised me with plenty of common sense...When the culture started to change in CA my parents still didn't change their ways...I love spending time with my relatives in the Midwest because they still operate thru common sense...They think things thru for themselves and don't follow all of the latest trends or "popular thinking" of the day...They don't go around quoting so-called experts all the time...or rely on books for all of their answers...How would you define common sense? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM

3,338 posts, read 4,779,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Even tho I grew up in Southern CA my parents raised me with plenty of common sense...When the culture started to change in CA my parents still didn't change their ways...I love spending time with my relatives in the Midwest because they still operate thru common sense...They think things thru for themselves and don't follow all of the latest trends or "popular thinking" of the day...They don't go around quoting so-called experts all the time...or rely on books for all of their answers...How would you define common sense? Thanks...
Just like you did. Midwestern living and midwestern values.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,314,237 times
Oh hey now... Maine still has a lot of common sense- it's not limited to the Midwest!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,576,595 times
Common sence ain't very common anymore. I have met folks who think milk comes from a plastic jug, are amazed to find tomatoe paste comes from tomatoes, and that you can actually cook on a fire!

As I see it these days, if something can't be done by the press of a button, it just plain can't done.

Women shop for clothes, instead of make them. Men do womens work because they have no idea what else to do. Service men suffer crude terms like knuckel dragger, since they actually work.

Beats me. New Hampsterite here... I always have bloody knuckels for one reason or another.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Many people in rural America have common sense.

However, lack of common sense is evident in rural America also.

Look at how many rural people fall for every " fad" in the regards to cattle and crops.

Look at how many people in rural America will quote articles from some " homesteader" who makes a living selling books rather than " practicing what he preaches"

Sadly, I have observed a decline in common sense in rural America also.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Great posts...thanks. I worry about kids who aren't being taught common sense today...or exposed to the "culture of common sense."...How do you feel about it? Thanks....

Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Regarding my previous post-------I attended a pasture walk a few years ago as I had been rotationally grazing for many years and one is never too old to pick up additional information.

The dairy farmer had a nice dairy farm-------newer 2 story dairy barn for 40 cows, a newer silo, nice one story house, a neat farm.

Howevr, a year prior he went organic and made drastic changes------sold his Holstein cows and replaced them with Dutch Belted ( a "homesteaders' fad), stated he never would grow corn again and never use that nice silo.

Many other practices he changed made me scratch my head. Every other sentence he used was-------" Salazar said"--------" Salazar said".

All the kooks there who were wearing floppy hats were nodding their heads in agreement and taking notes. Some were so fat it was quite evident they never did any real farming of their own.

Near the end, it got so stupid, I and my son left.

Three other guys left also shaking their head.

One year later, that farmer had gone out of business and was broke.

I hope those other kooks who were hanging on every stupid word he said didn't invest any money to farm like he was suggesting.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
The erosion of common sense can simply be traced back to two major things in my opinion:

1. Man's long standing history of being lazy
2. The information age (the internet)

As Marmac said, even in rural America common sense is being eroded at an alarming rate. One reason for this is because as humans we tend to be lazy. It is easy to adopt other people's ideas and pass them on to others, taking the credit along the way even though many ideas have never been proven. Marmac's example is a great example of that. Someone read a book but never successfully applied what they read.

Adding to that mass-misinformation is the internet we now have. Many adopt ideas that are not tried or proven, and pass them on, of which 20 people read it, and pass it on to 20 more, and soon this unproven idea is excepted as law! The problem is no one has actually got off their duffs and proven or disproved it.

What is really troublesome is that laziness and mass-fowarded information is now hitting the Land Mark Universities, also known as the Cooperative Extension. In years past they used research and had experts that canvases the countryside and helped farmers and rural people with issues they had. With funding cut, and grants being very competitive to get, I am seeing more and more sharing of information. The problem is, raising sheep in Maine is drastically different then in Virgina, and vice versa. And without cooperative extension employees out on the ground talking to farmers and sharing information from one farmer to the other, common sense (and just all around good information) is not being shared.

I do think forums have their place, and for certain people who are active doers in this world, coming to a forum such as this and adding their experiences is truly inspiring and helpful and helps with common sense retention, but let's be honest...most doer's do not have time for forums. Even then, doer's can face hostility. I got booted off a homesteader forum simply because there is a vast difference between doing and dreaming about it, and for the most part it was a forum based on talking about dreams.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:16 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
Marmac, I know just how you feel.

Over on a sheep chat room the general consensus is that there is ONLY one way to raise sheep, and being a dairy farmer, how I raise sheep is deeply at odds with how they raise sheep. But I have been farming for 35 years and have the benefit of having 3 dairy farms in the family; farms that go back several generations. In my opinion that is the definition of successful farming so I have a lot of people to get good information from.

Anyway this one guy in particular really hates me because how I sheep farm is different then his. He doesn't think you should buy any equipment to put up feed and contract it all out, and I strongly feel that is a mistake. But here is the thing. He continues to tell people how to raise sheep his way, even though in the last three years he has run out of hay, had to sell the majority of his flock off, taken a job at a local prison as herdsman of the county prison farm, and calls me "annoying" every chance he gets.

That is fine, but who do you want to take advice from; the guy downsizing drastically, or the one expanding his flock? To me that is just common sense, but then again the path I have taken has not been the easy one that is for sure.

Incidentally his idea of farming, "if it rusts, do not buy it", is one of Salazar's famous sayings.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Interesting posts...thanks. Is common sense really about insisting that we are supposedly "right" about everything? Or does it involve being open-minded and trying to look at many different sides?....The first word is "common" not "only me" in the phrase "common sense."...Welcome your thoughts and insights about all of it...thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living