U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 AM

134 posts, read 839,667 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I need help trying to find a place that I can call home. I know that there are so many options out there so I'm looking for help with trying to narrow it down.

First off, I'm in my 40's and single. While I don't need a huge social scene, I don't want to be treated like an outcast or become lonely because I'm not married and have no family (Except my dog ). I know that, in itself is going to eliminate a lot of small/rural towns.

I am not religious. I'm not sure how much of a factor that will be but I obviously won't be meeting people through church since I wouldn't be going.

Most of my work experience has been in the hospitality or social service industry. (My education=BA degree in sociology) Both are low-paying, high turnover jobs but I don't mind that as long as I'm able to pay my rent, utilities, buy groceries and still have a little $$$ left over for fun

As per rent...that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind renting a house, apartment, trailer, boat, cardboard box etc. (Well ok...maybe not a cardboard box ) I would like to have my own place as compared to a houseshare but a houseshare may be possible if the right situation presents itself

Which state I'm looking for doesn't matter as I have travelled the U.S. and can find beauty everywhere. The only reason the state would matter is for funding matters in the social service sector which, if not being my long term career would at least be my entry-level job into the community

Ideally I would like to be about 2 hours from a major metropolian area that isn't growing too much but, that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I am not the typical "city-boy" that is looking for a slower pace. I was raised in a rural suburb, visited cousins in the country an hour away from us. (Helped milk the cows, collect the eggs from the chickens etc). And then I went to school in a town known as a "cow-town".

The town I went to school in might be a possibility but is growing too fast IMHO. But the other locations I mentioned are now no more than urban sprawl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,579,264 times
Most country people keep to themelves mostly . And small towns can be rude until they get to know you .

When we moved here it was like the movie " Funny Farm ". Before we bought everyone was waving and nie, soon as we moed in they stated acting like we had the plaque . Guns were going off everyday and our horse and donkey almost jumped in our lap when we were doing their hooves ' they too were city slickers '!

Then people started being nice and now in this crazy society we live in I'm glad they all have guns , we don't get much crime here .

Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
Large parts of the northeast could fit what you want. Just don't jump before you have a good job lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living