U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM

848 posts, read 1,703,016 times

Advertisements

I love this! I understand what Harry Chickpea is saying about authenticity, but that's not the point here. It's clearly representative of icons rich with a deeper meaning.

The only element I think is missing is warmth. There certainly is light, but it's not a warm light as I would expect from the sun on a fine spring day. Doesn't have to be bright necessarily, but I think the existing light could have been a little warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,174,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I love this! I understand what Harry Chickpea is saying about authenticity, but that's not the point here. It's clearly representative of icons rich with a deeper meaning.

The only element I think is missing is warmth. There certainly is light, but it's not a warm light as I would expect from the sun on a fine spring day. Doesn't have to be bright necessarily, but I think the existing light could have been a little warmer.
Looks like a Northwest Oregon rural farm, with a lot more "green" than sun.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
I realize what I said could be misinterpreted. To clarify, I was amused by some of the gloss on the reality of rural life, but I don't consider that detracting as much as a selective vision in search of an iconic image. There is a stylization in this type of painting that has real charm. Selective vision and emphasis is the very core of art, and needs no apology. I get a kick out of seeing a farm without a muddy yard around the barn, and that is part of what makes me smile when I look at it. As I said before, I really like the painting.

FWIW, I'm a real fan of the Hudson River school, which goes for reality, but a very very rare reality where the light is perfect and the image is perfect, but just because I like that style, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy other art.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,790,981 times
Very nice work.

I like the constant use of curvature in the composition--it encourages the eye to explore. Great use of consistent stylization as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,119 times
Great painting Walt!
Had to look at your other work and share with my wife and daughter, who at 16, desires to pursue a career as an illustrator. Any advice or direction for a place where she could look for some very low paying or free work to start a portfolio before heading off to college in a little over a year?

I too am familiar with the multi-family farm which was actually quite commonplace at one time. In PA I think the tradition was more of adjoining additions to existing homes, but here in WV & in southern VA it seems to be another home at a short distance on the plot. Too bad this is not as common as it used to be.
Clint

Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times
While far from an art expert, I viewed your painting as an example of naive folk art, something not meant to be realistic, but almost muralistic, telling an idealized version of rural life, not a realistic one.

As such, I think it works very well. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM

145 posts, read 270,233 times
Molly, I have one listed on Ebay.

Hi Harry, you are right about the mud and all.This is my version and what I see or can imagine. It is stylized but real at the same time and everything could be in this spring painting, from the groundhog, violets and bloodroot in bloom. It takes you back to a slower, simpler-nostalgic time. And until a few years back, I painted very realisticly, this is more fun and creative to me. By the way I love north georgia and trout fishing.

Hi Chris, that's one of my secrets for keeping your attention.

Clint , my wife is from West Virginia and it has awsome scenery. I really marvel at cow grazing in a 45 degree angled pasture. Or how people can get up some of those super steep driveways. and seeing a tall hill with a plowed flat top with corn planted on it. As for becomming an illustrator, there are very few real illustrators now days. Most are designers that also illustrate. Many colleges have 2 and four year programs.

Netwit, you hit the nail on the head. I telling an idealized story in my paintings.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,117,799 times
I love your painting! It took me back to my childhood. "Whimsical" is the word that comes to mind (and I think there is far too little whimsy in our lives these days). I spent a lot of time looking at it, noticing all the little details.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 8,871 times
Great painting! I really like it.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,662,449 times
I don't like it....I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living