U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
You can check your state's DNR site, and also search the state legislature site for trespassing laws. Some states can be really particular about what you can and cannot do, what's considered trespassing, and what needs to be on the sign & other posting rules to make those actions trespassing or your actions legal against the trespass.

Also, as noted, some states make you liable for any injuries that someone incurs on your land regardless if they were invited, unless you post and your sign has specific wording. Other states do not allow you to collect or enforce reparations for any damages done by a trespasser on your land.

You also have to consider your home-owner insurance -- many of them specifically require you to post notices of non-liability for personal injury to trespassers and the responsibility for liability on the trespasser for any damages. Without the signs, bad things can happen and your insurance will not pay for them, or help you in any legal suit to get reparations.

We have a big "No" sign posted every 100 yards on our perimeter - everything from hunting/trapping, to camping/hiking, to littering and loitering. Also specifically state that law enforcement needs a warrant unless there is an immediate emergency.

Why all the hoopla?! Because we have livestock and fields that can be injured, infected, poisoned or damaged. Because we protect the wildlife on our property, and any hunting/trapping/foraging on our land is done by us, or by permission, in a controlled and conscientious manner -- not willy-nilly by any Tom, Dick or Harry with a case of beer and an ATV. Because we do use firearms and live ammunition on our property on a regular basis. Because squatters can obtain legal right to my land through "adverse possession" if I don't keep them out -- and the best way to do that is to actually charge the use fee/penalty, even if that means spending time and money on civil court. Because my state allows me to shoot trespassers, but only if I specifically post what I consider trespass... I thought warning people that I can and will shoot them if they're on my property without my advanced permission is just being responsible. Because I want hunters to know that they can pursue and retrieve an animal they already wounded, and to get their dogs, because I don't want a wounded animal to suffer and certainly don't want hunting dogs around my livestock!

If someone has no intention of doing any harm, then I'm sure they'd have no problems asking for permission. I don't take random shortcuts through their house, have picnics in their living room, or stand on their deck just to enjoy the view... why should my woods and fields be any different?
Your excellent post has really helped clarify the course of action that should be taken in my area to do the right thing. Thanks!

(And I'm also very pleased with the other tips given.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,902,261 times
The only signs I have up are something to the effect of written permission needed for hunting. I just don't want people hunting my place without permission...it's just common decency to ask first.

I don't put up no littering signs along the one public road that borders my property...a neighbor down the road did that and it seemed to invite more of it, especially around the sign. (He even tried a "X Days of No Littering" sign in which he was going to keep a running total of how many days went by without someone littering on his place...gave it up after 2 weeks and not one day and someone shooting his sign.)

Welcome to hike my place, birdwatch, whatever, but like a previous poster said, don't take rocks from the walls, litter, 4x4 on it or shoot the livestock.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
I'd be more inclined to allow responsible people to hike, etc on my property if there weren't several hundreds of miles of public/state/federal land all around my place that they have free access to for whatever they want to do. I do feel a bit bad about denying access to the few responsible, trustworthy folks; but the majority of people aren't responsible and I just can't take the chance with my food supply and personal safety... the responsible folks who want to use my property don't have any problems asking, so it's not really that much of a problem anyway. I have a huge blueberry patch that I invite my neighbors to come pick with me in the fall since I can't possibly eat all of them and have no interest in picking them and then selling them... little things like that help your neighbors forgive you for the signs.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Interesting response I got from my state Legislative Information Center:

We can find no laws regarding posting of no trespassing signs on private property. You may want to check with your county to see if there are county regulations regarding the posting of signs.

We are providing the link to RCW 9A.52.070 and RCW 9A.52.080 regarding criminal trespass.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.070#

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.080#

(Not too helpful. I'm still waiting to hear back from my Department of Natural Resources.)

Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,982 times
In Missouri we have Purple Paint Law.Here is details

Missouri's Purple Paint Statute - AgEBB

brushrunner

Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Thanks, Marmac, for the tip about DNR, and I'll follow up with that.

For wording, I also found this commercial site:

Heavy Duty No Trespassing Signs – Security Signs and No Hunting Signs

I don't want there to be any question that I value my privacy and want others to respect my property boundaries.
In my state it is as simple as placing a running ad in the local paper stating "no hunting/no trespassing". That ad will stand up in court. My state also recognizes "purple paint" on fence posts/trees rather than the signs.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times
Quote:
Since state laws vary, where would you find the specifics for posting No Trespassing signs on your rural property? I'm talking wording, placement, size, etc. in order to follow state guidelines, and for any issues that might come up with trespassers.

Any links or advice would be appreciated. I am in California but my sister in Washington State would also like to know.
If you cannot find anything in the Revised Statutes (I just looked briefly, and didn't find anything), then you can check with your county to see if there are any laws on the books about it. If all else fails, you might also call the Department of Natural Resources or the Department of Conservation to see if they can point you in the right direction.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM

A friend in Montana who's subscribed to Mother Earth News since it began publishing sent me these two links on this subject:

The first is on basic trespassing laws:

Keep Out! The Basics of Trespassing Laws

The second is on why I shouldn't have the right to post any trespassing signs, a bit off-topic but quite thought-provoking:

No Trespassing Signs and Modern Day Monkey Wrenching

And the forum responses to "walker's rights:"

Mother Earth News Forum

Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
A friend in Montana who's subscribed to Mother Earth News since it began publishing sent me these two links on this subject:

The first is on basic trespassing laws:

Keep Out! The Basics of Trespassing Laws

The second is on why I shouldn't have the right to post any trespassing signs, a bit off-topic but quite thought-provoking:

No Trespassing Signs and Modern Day Monkey Wrenching

And the forum responses to "walker's rights:"

Mother Earth News Forum
and even that lists early and often-------" varies by states'

so vague,it really told me nothing.

That link about the " ugly plastic signs " was one of the most stupid I have ever read ( saying he took them down because he wants the bunnies and wildlife to roam freely.

Is --Mother Earth News-----a kindergarten book?

It sure reminded me of one.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
I read and actually responded to one of the "Walker's Rights" articles/thread on MEN -- essentially, there is plenty of public/government land for people to walk on, they don't need to walk through mine. Seriously, the concept of other people's "private property" seems to escape most of these folks. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for letting the wildlife roam freely and conserving the natural beauty of the land, which is why I post signs rather than putting up fences (which are way more expensive as well!). But, really, you know these people who are whining that they can't freely walk through your forest or fields would pitch a fit if you picnicked on their front porch, took a rest on the bumper of their car, borrowed their stuff without asking, and used their house freely as if it were my own... they just don't realize that my land and the resources on it are exactly the same, it doesn't matter that it's bigger and not "improved"/built upon. And, at least in my state, removing or defacing private property postings is considered vandalism and punishable by law... I drive my perimeter regularly for safety reasons (wildfires and wildlife), so I'd notice any tampering with the signs and Lord help the person I catch messing around with the signs or my property! In the end, it's just plain rude and disrespectful, not to mention selfish and insensitive, to avail yourself of something that is not yours and that you have no rights to... it's really that plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living