U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,902,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When vacationing in Arizona we bought a heavy metal trespassing sign (we never used it). It reads: “Do you believe in life after death - trespass here and find out!”
I always kind of liked "If you can read this, you are within range."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM

12,483 posts, read 15,538,537 times
This is my favorite.
Redirect Notice

Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,370,244 times
The local police: city. county or state know the law; it is there job to know the law of the area they police.

I had neighbors who thought the portion of my yard that was not fenced was their person dumping ground. I quickly tired of picking up garbage, but the end came when I found a used syringe. I went to the local farm and feed store and invested in metal hangers and in 3 signs:
No Parking. No Trespassing.
"You will be arrested"

I never had another problem and when I moved I took my signs.

Easements is public access by utility complanies, ambulance, police... anyone with office business on your property. It is the law.

Most cities hav "set back" regulations or laws. Buildings cannot be erected over the set back. If you do, you might be forced to remove the building at your expense plus the legal charges incured by the city or your neighbor.

Your neighbor is not reposnsible for her tree in your yard. You can trim it to the property line but no farther. It's the law and its dumb. I would rather trim the neighbor; it would be more effective.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,758,949 times
I was just out driving the countryside today and noticed all the NO TRESPASSING signs. It's a shame. I understand it and the rights of the property owners, but it's a shame. I live in rural Wyoming. We've had monumental growth here in the past 50 years -- something like 10-fold. The signs are a sad result of the growth -- not just more people to bother the ranchers, but many ranchers have sold off small parcels of land as "ranchettes". (Forty acres transforms a city slicker to a rancher, yanno.) Instead of a ranch home for every 20,000 acres, now it's one for every few acres. (An eyesore!) And instead of friendly ranchers happy to see someone, it's a bunch of wannabe hermits on oversized housing lots.

Forty years ago I used to bounce along the same roads I was on today in my rickety old Scout. Today I was in my F-250. There were no NO TRESPASSING signs 40 years ago. I could tootle through ranch trails and watch coyote and fox, eagles, deer and antelope, all minding their own business. They didn't bother me, and I didn't bother them. I'd stop, maybe watch them for an hour, take a few pictures, then move on. Not so today.

And then I thought back to what it was like 120 years ago when this land was first being settled by white man. This was the exact same land where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid first met up as ranch hands -- where open range ranches stretched for 20 miles or more in each direction. There were certainly no NO TRESPASSING signs then. Folks were happy to see a stranger ride up and happier still to offer him and his horse some water and conversation.

I respect the rights of property owners and understand there might be a need for NO TRESPASSING signs for some places, but I still hate those damned signs. I hate what has happened to the countryside in the past 40 years. I hate to think what it will be like in another 40.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,538,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Since state laws vary, where would you find the specifics for posting No Trespassing signs on your rural property? I'm talking wording, placement, size, etc. in order to follow state guidelines, and for any issues that might come up with trespassers.

Any links or advice would be appreciated. I am in California but my sister in Washington State would also like to know.
Here is a site with state laws:

Trespassing: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

This is mostly about hunting. However, I do not know how accurate it is. Where it says the info about NY: it says NY, you have to tell the people to stay out personally. We post, every 100 feet on the land border, bright yellow plasticized signs -- and our police say that as long as your name and address are on it (last name, town), it counts.

BTW, neither Washington State or California is listed... Call you sheriff or police for laws

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,302 times
My friend and frequent employer in SC owned 12 acres with a fish pond. She kept it stocked for her and her (very large when they all visited!) family. She had cows, horses, goats, and other critters; even raised hunting birds and peacocks. Neighbors changed, and they and their relatives moved in - all of them thinking that the woods and fields, 1/2 mile road and fishpond were theirs as long as they didn't get caught. She finally had enough of finding her animals terrified or set free, and her fishpond empty, so she had to post so that, when she caught them, she could prosecute them.

Out here, ranches line the river, and everyone local loads their tubes in their pickups and drives down to the river accesses. They don't leave trash, they clean up after themselves, and are very respectful of fences and critters. Those who hunt on other peoples' property ask permission first; the kids won't even take their sleds onto our hills after a blizzard without asking. No one posts, because no one has to. The few tourists who 'discover' the area are either respectful of the property, or are soon shown why they should be, by the owners or the owner's neighbors.

Every state has different rules, and every local jurisdiction might have more stringent ordinances and/or enforces them differently. Close in to the cities I imagine people have to post, but out this far - not.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 AM

15,017 posts, read 12,211,064 times
Dogs and pets are a very big consideration when it comes to posting and enforcing. If you own a few acres there is not too much harm in allowing the next door neighbor the freedom to walk their dog. However, the more land you own; the more neighbors you have. Not all of them are happy with just taking their pets for a walk on your property. Some own dangerous dogs and do not want to be bothered with just taking them for a walk. People just open their doors and let their pets run. Many states do have leash laws or laws that state the dog has to be under the control of the owner.

Land owners do not want to feel threatened on their own property. They also do not want to step in somebody else’s dog droppings on their front lawn.

I have nine neighbors and some have dangerous dogs. It was easier for me to post and tell them all that I would not allow dogs - than to allow a few of them to use my property. Some understand and some do not - you cannot keep everybody happy all the time. I do let the kids play and neighbors use my property as long as they ask and leave their dogs home.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,997,752 times
Around here we've had a real problem with "townies" moving into the area and think they live on the Ponderosa and let their dogs run wild. Several years ago we had one neighbor that would "collect" very large mutts and turn them loose, they got into my other neighbors pasture and killed 4 calves and chewed the ears off a momma calf (award winning Black Angus btw) before the owner could get to them with a gun. Then said neighbor showed up and started threatening to call the police because they shot their phydos...farm owner said "let me just get my cell phone"...bruhahaha, that stoped that. But they still would turn out their pack of phydo's and finally there were enough complaints that animal control showed up and fined them $1000 per dog.

Recently, I had an incedent with another neighbor who had just moved to the country and started turning out their dogs and they came onto my property and started snarling at me and my ancient JRT (all 20lbs), I had him on a flexi leash on my own property and this was at 8am...I was pissed, so I jumped into my truck and went around the road to their front yard and they LIED right to my face that their dogs weren't out, then said dogs showed up and I said those are your dogs right...oh yes they won't hurt anyone...I said that's them. Oh they won't hurt anyone..grrrrr I told them we won't have a problem if they keep their dogs off my property and we do have leash laws in the county. They kept insisting that their phydos wouldn't hurt a fly.

I only wish I still had my tractor with the front end loader, it would be SSS.

These toads have no idea what a pack of dogs will do once off their property, their "won't hurt a fly phydo's" will run down wildlife and livestock.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,278 times
The visual image of the painter of this sign might be a pretty good deterrent:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0Pics/Sign.jpg

And this is a nice collection:

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/lists...out-signs-ever

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,997,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
The visual image of the painter of this sign might be a pretty good deterrent:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0Pics/Sign.jpg

And this is a nice collection:

17 Best Keep Out Signs Ever | Smosh
LOLOLOL...Thanks for the laugh...I loved 'em all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living