U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,278 times

Advertisements

Since state laws vary, where would you find the specifics for posting No Trespassing signs on your rural property? I'm talking wording, placement, size, etc. in order to follow state guidelines, and for any issues that might come up with trespassers.

Any links or advice would be appreciated. I am in California but my sister in Washington State would also like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,576,595 times
That world be town hall probably where she is.

I hate seeing these ugly signs.. Won't use them, but have just one at the head ofthe 1/2 mile drive saying to not litter. Don't care who passes thru, so long as there is no trash I have to clean, not rocks taken off the stone walls, not take anything basicly, and if you want to hujnt just ask.

As a wee lad no one posted property, this is a city thing, that ruins the woods.

I see these ugly signs and tresspass anyway. No one can tell I was ever there in the first place. And no crooks will bother to care what the sign says any. All the sign does is be an eye sore and tell folks you are ugly.

You can be dam ugly and not advetise the fact. I sure am, because if I catch you trashing the place up you get 10 days in the garden and if you refuse you get 10 days chained to a big tree.

Pass thru say hello and you get what ever we have, and iced tea..

I catch you stealing stones off the wall and i will keep your truck. Call the cops on me for that, and they will make you twice as sorry.. That's how it works in rural places.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
In our state ( Minnesota) all agriculture land is considered posted ( fields,pastures, building sites etc)

All non-ag land must be posted by the owner if he wants it enforced.

I believe ,for specific regulations on how and where to post signs-------check out the state's DNR ( Dept of Natural Resources) or state law site dealing with trespassing laws.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM

17,089 posts, read 22,607,566 times
Re-think posting your land. I know of no better way to make enemies of everyone miles around than to suddenly post land. I have signs printed I may post on my land but they're worded to allow legal hunting, etc., and are aimed at the real troublemakers instead.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,278 times
Thanks, Marmac, for the tip about DNR, and I'll follow up with that.

For wording, I also found this commercial site:

Heavy Duty No Trespassing Signs – Security Signs and No Hunting Signs

I don't want there to be any question that I value my privacy and want others to respect my property boundaries.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,997,752 times
I'm an older single woman and I have 'em plastered at the end of my long drive of over 500 feet saying private drive no tresspassing, you can't see my house from the road. I also have 'em posted along the road with the usual no dumping (real problem here), no hunting (another real problem - I've been shot at while on my own property) ect. I've had real problems with strangers showing up at my doorstep, some I've called the cops on as they were very very suspicious - looking for gas when to get to my place they would have pass plenty of homes on the road - turns out they were part of a theft ring and that was their way of checking out what you had. My friends and neighbors know those signs are not for them. I also have a beware of dog sign at the house - LOL my dog is an ancient 20LBS JRT that wouldn't hurt a fly - but they don't know that

I also have my place for sale and the sign sez by appointment only but most can't seem to read, so those signs keep them out until they call for appointment. People seem to think that a for sale sign means come wander my land at your leisure without calling, when I had horses some idjiot let them out fortunatly they just came up to the barn in search of food, instead of wandering down the road. In my state if someone wanders your land and gets hurt they can sue, if your not posted. If your large critters get out and someone hits them you are libel-no matter how they got out.

One of my neighbors with a large tract of land and plenty of farm roads had someone trespass (posted) drove down their dirt road (it'd been raining) and got stuck - had the nerve to go ask the owners to come pull them out

Where I'm from, it was considered very rude to wander someone's land without permission - in GA it seems we've got a lot of rude people. I've had people come thru with guns in hand trying to hunt my land - I don't allow it, I've got critters and I do not want them or me to get shot. Yes there are plenty of responsible hunters but my area seems to attract the irrisponsible drunks with guns who can't read and don't care

Sooo yup I post my private road and all along my road front.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm an older single woman and I have 'em plastered at the end of my long drive of over 500 feet saying private drive no tresspassing, you can't see my house from the road. I also have 'em posted along the road with the usual no dumping (real problem here), no hunting (another real problem - I've been shot at while on my own property) ect. I've had real problems with strangers showing up at my doorstep, some I've called the cops on as they were very very suspicious - looking for gas when to get to my place they would have pass plenty of homes on the road - turns out they were part of a theft ring and that was their way of checking out what you had. My friends and neighbors know those signs are not for them. I also have a beware of dog sign at the house - LOL my dog is an ancient 20LBS JRT that wouldn't hurt a fly - but they don't know that

I also have my place for sale and the sign sez by appointment only but most can't seem to read, so those signs keep them out until they call for appointment. People seem to think that a for sale sign means come wander my land at your leisure without calling, when I had horses some idjiot let them out fortunatly they just came up to the barn in search of food, instead of wandering down the road. In my state if someone wanders your land and gets hurt they can sue, if your not posted. If your large critters get out and someone hits them you are libel-no matter how they got out.

One of my neighbors with a large tract of land and plenty of farm roads had someone trespass (posted) drove down their dirt road (it'd been raining) and got stuck - had the nerve to go ask the owners to come pull them out

Where I'm from, it was considered very rude to wander someone's land without permission - in GA it seems we've got a lot of rude people. I've had people come thru with guns in hand trying to hunt my land - I don't allow it, I've got critters and I do not want them or me to get shot. Yes there are plenty of responsible hunters but my area seems to attract the irrisponsible drunks with guns who can't read and don't care

Sooo yup I post my private road and all along my road front.
We have a similar driveway and also have a No Trespassing sign. We occasionally get people who mistake the driveway for a road (or that is what they say if one of us happens to be around) but two large German shepherds barking their best psycho barks pretty much guarantees little trespassing on the yard area.

We do have some trouble with kids quading on our land without permission, and in the winter, snowmobiling. Sometimes it doesn't matter when it is just plowed field, but some town kids do not know the difference between a newly planted field and a bare field. I try to walk a fine line between understanding that kids want to have fun and getting them to understand that I would still appreciate it if they would ask permission.

This spring at midnight (I was still up) a kid got stuck on his quad somewhere on our land, and evidently called his mother on his cell, which is how I noticed, since a car drove up to the house. I gave her a flashlight to look for her kid, told her what areas to avoid, and later told the kid nicely to please ask permission first. The very next day, he came here and asked permission. I gave it to him.

Without the dogs though, I'd feel a lot more vulnerable.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM

28,402 posts, read 18,205,229 times
Well, the one that gets my attention is the one that says:

No TRESPASSING
Violators will be shot
Survivors will be shot again

Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
You can check your state's DNR site, and also search the state legislature site for trespassing laws. Some states can be really particular about what you can and cannot do, what's considered trespassing, and what needs to be on the sign & other posting rules to make those actions trespassing or your actions legal against the trespass.

Also, as noted, some states make you liable for any injuries that someone incurs on your land regardless if they were invited, unless you post and your sign has specific wording. Other states do not allow you to collect or enforce reparations for any damages done by a trespasser on your land.

You also have to consider your home-owner insurance -- many of them specifically require you to post notices of non-liability for personal injury to trespassers and the responsibility for liability on the trespasser for any damages. Without the signs, bad things can happen and your insurance will not pay for them, or help you in any legal suit to get reparations.

We have a big "No" sign posted every 100 yards on our perimeter - everything from hunting/trapping, to camping/hiking, to littering and loitering. Also specifically state that law enforcement needs a warrant unless there is an immediate emergency.

Why all the hoopla?! Because we have livestock and fields that can be injured, infected, poisoned or damaged. Because we protect the wildlife on our property, and any hunting/trapping/foraging on our land is done by us, or by permission, in a controlled and conscientious manner -- not willy-nilly by any Tom, Dick or Harry with a case of beer and an ATV. Because we do use firearms and live ammunition on our property on a regular basis. Because squatters can obtain legal right to my land through "adverse possession" if I don't keep them out -- and the best way to do that is to actually charge the use fee/penalty, even if that means spending time and money on civil court. Because my state allows me to shoot trespassers, but only if I specifically post what I consider trespass... I thought warning people that I can and will shoot them if they're on my property without my advanced permission is just being responsible. Because I want hunters to know that they can pursue and retrieve an animal they already wounded, and to get their dogs, because I don't want a wounded animal to suffer and certainly don't want hunting dogs around my livestock!

If someone has no intention of doing any harm, then I'm sure they'd have no problems asking for permission. I don't take random shortcuts through their house, have picnics in their living room, or stand on their deck just to enjoy the view... why should my woods and fields be any different?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM

11,257 posts, read 44,316,643 times
In Wyoming, it's considered tresspassing if you venture onto private lands without seeking and obtaining permission first, although there's a lot of slack given for folk trying to round up stray livestock.

If you don't "post" the property, then a deputy will only give a warning to a tresspasser on the first contact.

If you do "post" the property, then a deputy can give a citation to a tresspasser on the first contact.

Since we operate a certified organic farm/ranch, we simply cannot have anybody just wandering onto the place due to contamination issues, and we've posted the organic signs and no tresspassing signs about the place. Still, from time to time, we get hunters or kids onto our property without permission, which is considered rude in this part of the country. And they risk losing their hunting license plus penalties for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living