U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The OP said "Immigrants" not Illegal Immigrants. Some have made this a racist political post. Why do immigrants prefer urban versus rural areas? they don't. It's just that many only see immigrants that don't look like them as immigrants. They couldn't tell a English immigrant from an american citizen unless they knew the person or that person spoke. That doen't mean there are no immigrants around them, only that they have no physical feature to give them any indication of that person being from another country. For all they know, half the population could be immigrants who just so happen to be from countries that have the same physical looks.
I know. I've already posted in this thread.. I understand what he said and your points as well, and agree. However it seemed that from the post that it was minimizing what is the obvious. In the neighborhood where I used to live, the greatest incident of illegal immigration was Russian and Chinese....but nationally that doesn't amount to a drop in the bucket.

I simply was addressing what I quoted, and that's all. Some people have, unfortunately made this an issue of race on both sides of the issue. It seems to me that if anyone says anything against illegal immigration, they are immediately branded a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
When we have to have the border patrol patrolling the beaches of the Atlantic ocean cuz so many are wading ashore-------------then I'll believe you

Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,580,100 times
Many Hispanic immigrants live in rural farm and dairy towns of Minnesota, generally working as farm hands, meat plant employees, etc. Some small Minnesotan towns have a long-established tradition of migratory labor. These are mostly in the South, although I hear there is a Hispanic presence along the Red River Valley. There is also a considerable Somali population in Mankato, MN and apparently a large Ethiopian contingent in the Sioux Falls, SD - Worthington, MN area.

Other immigrant populations do tend to flock to urban areas in my experience. This is probably because a) there is already a settled ethnic community there, ethnic neighborhoods, etc., b) family ties, and c) greater job opportunities. The a) and b) are especially important. However, many developed countries are in need of cheap farm labor, and second and third-world immigrants are more than willing to help out. This is equally true in Spain with agricultural labor being done by Moroccans or in Italy with it being done by Sub-Saharan Africans.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
Also a sizable Somali population in rural southern middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee, with the exception of Nashville is chiefly rural, is also home to one of the largest Iraqi populations in the nation...they had a polling place in Nashville for the Iraqi ex-pats during Iraq's first election after Saddam's removal.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,094,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Not true. They will live any place as long as they can get to work. I know of one rural area that looks as bad as any slum area in Mexico... They are right at home with it I guess.
Where's this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Immigrants are all over the place, big cities, small towns, rural, urban, you name it. They are on the bus with you, at your church, kids ball game, market, doctors office, and sitting right next to you in the dinner.

The answers your getting are mostly about certain immigransts and not immigrants as a whole. Read the responses and you will see mostly comments based on some skin color or eyes or facial features that tags a person as an immigrant. They may be born and raised americans, but because they don't "look" a certain way, they are labled immigrants. You could also have immigrants from australia or europe standing shoulder to shoulder with some people but they will never be labeled immigrants unless there is somthing that gives them away, otherwise, many will mistakenly assum they are americans.

Can't tell you how many of the people at work joke about how easy it would be for them to remain in the US illegally and never get caught or questioned because they are blond or brown hair, brown or blue eye, average built and "white".
An estimated 12-20 million illegals here. Where are they coming from? If there were as many illegal Mexicans as illegal Australians here, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Skin color has zero to do with this. We've been invaded by squatters. People who believe part of Mexico was stolen from them in the late 1840's.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM

8,260 posts, read 12,633,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is a huge hispanic community in Arkansas and Southwest Missouri thanks to our friends at Tyson Chicken. They can be found in many rural areas as well as the relatively small towns of Green Forest (Arkansas), Monett (Missouri), As well as many, many others. Wherever there is a Tyson or their competitor - George's you will find mucho mucho latinos y latinas.

20yrsinBranson
Just wondering, in your opinion, was Tyson completely unable to find locals willing to work in those chicken plants or is it really true that they use illegals to pay them less, charge the same for their chicken and make bigger profits? When I lived near DC I would for example hear things about how white and black people are too lazy to fix roofs, wash dishes, pour concrete, mow lawns, etc but here in Baltimore there are few illegals and mostly Americans do this kind of work.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM

8,260 posts, read 12,633,082 times
I still know some second generation Hispanic and Asian Americans who could never move to a rural area or to a different part of the country because they require a sizable community and their "native" culture present, especially true for those from places like Southern California, Florida or the NYC/ NJ area. They actually can be very involved in an Asian American or Hispanic American culture too so I understand the earlier post about cultural comfort. Personally I'm born here and identify with the mainstream so its not necessary to have an Asian American community present.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,557,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
When I lived near DC I would for example hear things about how white and black people are too lazy to fix roofs, wash dishes, pour concrete, mow lawns, etc but here in Baltimore there are few illegals and mostly Americans do this kind of work.
I think in a case like DC, which has high cost of living, it pushes out much of the blue collar American population. Companies will continue to pay low wages to immigrants while the blue collar worker gets screwed because his/her wage does not get compensated to keep pace with the cost of living. I think many people in that position will just move to an area with a lower cost of living. When that happens much of the middle class is pushed away. I have noticed this difference between living in Ohio (very few illegals and many working class whites & blacks) vs. living in Chicago and San Diego (lots of illegals and a shrinking middle class)

Quote:
I still know some second generation Hispanic and Asian Americans who could never move to a rural area or to a different part of the country because they require a sizable community and their "native" culture present, especially true for those from places like Southern California, Florida or the NYC/ NJ area. They actually can be very involved in an Asian American or Hispanic American culture too so I understand the earlier post about cultural comfort. Personally I'm born here and identify with the mainstream so its not necessary to have an Asian American community present.
You will see lots of Hispanics living in rural towns in California's central valley, who have moved there to do agricultural jobs. Often they move into sections of smaller towns or there will be a predominately white town next to a predominately Hispanic town. I personally don't know of any 1st generation Asian communities that are rural.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 AM

16 posts, read 37,805 times
most immigrants in usa are rich - try those who work in white collar jobs

regards
olga lednichenko

ps: bashing immigrants is a fav time election time, is this election yet

Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM

35,086 posts, read 34,276,156 times
Quote:
Just wondering, in your opinion, was Tyson completely unable to find locals willing to work in those chicken plants or is it really true that they use illegals to pay them less, charge the same for their chicken and make bigger profits? When I lived near DC I would for example hear things about how white and black people are too lazy to fix roofs, wash dishes, pour concrete, mow lawns, etc but here in Baltimore there are few illegals and mostly Americans do this kind of work.
When I lived in Maryland (12 years), illegals worked in fast food places and at the car wash on weekends and I wondered why Maryland teens didn't work in after-school/weekend/summer jobs. Where I live now, kids still work in fast food places after school and in the summer. I noticed that difference as soon as I got here 3 years ago. When I lived in Maryland, I also wondered why kids never came around and offered to shovel snow and clean off and dig out my car to earn a few bucks. (We don't get enough snow here to make that an actual job, for comparison.) Illegals do landscaping work here and the place looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living