U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM

35,085 posts, read 34,276,156 times

Advertisements

I just read a book about North Korean defectors and I did a little additional research on the ones who choose to settle in the US and are accepted in. If they have family here, that's where they go. If not, the default state is ----Kentucky. And originally, when they went to Kentucky, the State Department settled them in with Iraqis. Those are legal immigrants, though.

So for some legal ones, the destination is where the assistance is located.

Life Funds for North Korean Refugees, an NGO
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
LauraC, apparently I have to spread some rep around, so consider this a public kudo--nice to inject some actual fact into the discussion.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Don't know where you got that idea - there are plenty of immigrants (and not all of them Hispanic) in the small rural communities that I'm familiar with (and the one I live in). Some of them business owners, too.
But its nothing compared to teh numbers flooding into uraban areas. Mnay iof thsoe in ural areas are also often been in the country or farmer workers only.The last big influx to ruaral areas is when there were land grants in the 1800's.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 AM

14 posts, read 36,408 times
Pffffwhat?
My tiny home town has turned into Mexico.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM

378 posts, read 778,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just wondering, in your opinion, was Tyson completely unable to find locals willing to work in those chicken plants or is it really true that they use illegals to pay them less, charge the same for their chicken and make bigger profits? When I lived near DC I would for example hear things about how white and black people are too lazy to fix roofs, wash dishes, pour concrete, mow lawns, etc but here in Baltimore there are few illegals and mostly Americans do this kind of work.
May I answer this?
It's all about money. It has nothing to do with people being lazy, it definetely has nothing to do with not being able to find workers in the US, and it has everything to do with profits. The companies do not care who works for them as long as the bottom line meets their expectations.
And yes, immigrants (especially illegal immigrants) are willing to accept lower wages. Illegals are often paid below minimum wage.

GoVeg.com // Killing for a Living // Exploiting Immigrant Labor

"Many meatworkers are lured to the United States from Mexico by Spanish radio advertisements paid for by U.S. meat companies, which bus the workers to factories in the rural United States."
Working Conditions in American Slaughterhouses: Worse than You Thought (http://www.organicconsumers.org/irrad/slaughterworkers.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living