U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,517,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Mac - hubby gets on fine with American beer... by not drinking it LOL Firstly it's watered down in comparison, secondly it's a weaker alcohol content, and lastly our pints are smaller. He'd end up drinking 3x as much for 1/2 the buzz, might as well save a step and pour it in the toilet! We're lucky enough that our one and only local pub actually serves Newcastle Brown, bottled for the US but better than American when he wants a drink Now, if I could just get them to stock Spaten (since I grew up in Germany) I'd be a happy camper... I just have to settle for American Heinekin, which isn't fair

ShipHead -- amen! 4WD just means you can GO, it doesn't mean you can STOP... seems to be a hard-learned lesson for some folks. The only stopping benefit of 4WD is if you've already mastered the concept of engine braking

word. It's funny when I was driving home in a blizzard in my subaru. Seeing all these giant lifted trucks stranded on the side of the road, as a cruise past them at 10 miles an hour, not 55.

Now now.... you guys need to lay off the American beer. You need to separate corporation **** and microbrewery stuff. Fat tire, skinny dip, mothership (all made by the same company), and I recently tried rogue. Both beers are great and hoppy like a beer should be. Rogue has a beer with a black coffee after taste, how great is that! Even sam adams has good stuff too.

Supposedly Indian beers are the heaviest hoppiest beer around. But this is a subject for rules when in a small town, where i left my heart at, in a small town, in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Some of the Alaskan brews are pretty good, but the US alcohol content is still lower than Europe's

Speaking of driving in small mountain towns, I have a friend from Louisiana up here in Fairbanks looking at properties. The first day he was here, I drove him and his father all around the "hills" (they think they're the mountains, nope they're just the foothills) back into some barely undeveloped subdivisions. We're talking no hard-top roads, just bladed dirt. Now, I live a mile of a gravel highway and our trail isn't even bladed, so those roads weren't too much of a concern for me other than being kind of careful because I was driving their rental 4x4 and not my Sonja with her lift kit, off-road suspension and mud tires. There were a few places where I think they might have stained their shorts with me driving on steep embankments and through mudholes, etc. I'm thinking that maybe those properties shouldn't be on the top of their list... cuz it's good weather right now, those roads are only going to get worse

Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,574,553 times
Missing, Yeah I hear that. To get real beer I gotta ride up to Canada. Down here in New Hampster all the beer is no more than a sandwich. Goes good plowin snow and or for lunch. Mu winter weight runs around 150 lbs and in summer which is coming i drop to 145. I eat all of what ever I want and drink beer with anything salty all I want, and don't gain an ounce till winter chores slow down.

I guess the good thing is I don't drink to get hammered. It just doesn't work that way for me. Now my wife lived with some bad boozers and feared it from me for a while, but no more, and will bring me a cold beer when she wants, which can be about any time.

The saying "Hold my beer and watch this!" is just a joke. Someone in winter told me this about upper new england drivers in winter. Now to watch folks from 'away' os pricless on fresh snow. They go everywhere but where they want. I am sure you have seen it, but I probably have seen more of it, as a guess since Ak is a fair ways off, and i would expect folks there just deal with snow like they do most anything else.

The difference being around here folks come with no clue to driving on the stuff.

And last that private driveway is better than dive bomber steep. No roads in the USA come close to that steep. Maybe in Ak they do, but no place I have ever been was anything like that. It wasn't any issue either, but I bet it is to someone from nebraska..

Back to beer I hope to go to Canada for a few sometime soon... If I go fast I can be there in around 3 hours.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM

84 posts, read 208,358 times
I have another...

Try to avoid cutting into the oncoming lane to cut off the corners like you're in the Indy 500... the scenery has been there for a number of years and isn't likely to disappear before you get there. Although you're in the middle of nowhere where nobody goes, there are in fact other people on the roads, and as you go around a corner, that big mountain in your way prevents you from seeing them, and it will take a little while for the ambulance to get to the scene of your little head on collision.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,847,114 times
Why would one want to slow down going down hills anyhow? Isn't that part of the fun? "Let's see if I can get this baby over 100."

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why would one want to slow down going down hills anyhow? Isn't that part of the fun? "Let's see if I can get this baby over 100."
They actually have "hills" in Florida?! Or maybe you're just talking about the "on-ramps"!

BTW, I also live in the Sierra foothills, and it ain't always just the "city folk" you have to contend with. In fact it often seems like some of the worst offenders are the local types who figure that because they know every curve and lookout like the back of their hand, it's a good excuse to practice their "NASCAR moves"!

And then there's the middle-aged Harley riders taking their bike out for an (infrequent) weekend spin. Just picture rounding a corner, and there coming straight at 'ya, is one of these "2-wheel Winnebagos" (often with a hapless passenger), because they've just 'over-estimicated' their skills, their machine... and the turn!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,847,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
They actually have "hills" in Florida?! Or maybe you're just talking about the "on-ramps"!

BTW, I also live in the Sierra foothills, and it ain't always just the "city folk" you have to contend with. In fact it often seems like some of the worst offenders are the local types who figure that because they know every curve and lookout like the back of their hand, it's a good excuse to practice their "NASCAR moves"!

And then there's the middle-aged Harley riders taking their bike out for an (infrequent) weekend spin. Just picture rounding a corner, and there coming straight at 'ya, is one of these "2-wheel Winnebagos" (often with a hapless passenger), because they've just 'over-estimicated' their skills, their machine... and the turn!
There's this road I know that does a 90-degree curve. I used to come up on it, hit the brakes, and SLEW my car around the curve.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,527,672 times
Aren't country folk so clever coming up with all these rules? Because they don't have uphills and downhills in the city, you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living