U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm glad that beer is one beverage that is primarily sold in aluminum cans.

I hope they never sell beer in plastic bottles as plastic bottles have replaced beer cans in amount in the ditches by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
I don't know why they just don't have a national bottle bill like Maine. We get 5 cents for each can, 10 cents for a bottle, BUT we are different then the other states in that just about every retail drink; from small bottles of strawberry milk, to 2 liter soda cans, can be redeemed. It is amazing what is included in the bottle bill now. (Go Maine!)

There are also lots of redemption centers and they hire workers and all that so the system has no faults from what I can see. Yes we pay for each can at purchase, but really the only ones that lose money are the people that do not redeem their cans and toss it out the window (which other pick up and redeem and make money on). I give a lot of my bottles away as is to such organizations as Boy Scouts and Little Legue who come by on "bottle drives".

I remember being in MN and asking where the redemption bin was after drinking my first soda there. They looked at me like I was dumb and said, "you just throw it out". Throwing away perfectly good plastic and aluminum in the landfill, now that is just dumb. Here in Maine there generally is two bins, one for trash and one for bottles.

When will the rest of the nation catch on?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I don't know why they just don't have a national bottle bill like Maine. We get 5 cents for each can, 10 cents for a bottle, BUT we are different then the other states in that just about every retail drink; from small bottles of strawberry milk, to 2 liter soda cans, can be redeemed. It is amazing what is included in the bottle bill now. (Go Maine!)

There are also lots of redemption centers and they hire workers and all that so the system has no faults from what I can see. Yes we pay for each can at purchase, but really the only ones that lose money are the people that do not redeem their cans and toss it out the window (which other pick up and redeem and make money on). I give a lot of my bottles away as is to such organizations as Boy Scouts and Little Legue who come by on "bottle drives".

I remember being in MN and asking where the redemption bin was after drinking my first soda there. They looked at me like I was dumb and said, "you just throw it out". Throwing away perfectly good plastic and aluminum in the landfill, now that is just dumb. Here in Maine there generally is two bins, one for trash and one for bottles.

When will the rest of the nation catch on?
That's a good idea. We have it nationally up here (Canada), though prices vary by province. I don't think I've ever seen bottles lying around.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM

613 posts, read 1,015,854 times
Same here. Because the stupid idiotic people are the ones who are drinking while driving (...greeeaaat.) and they are also the ones who are littering. Among that particular population, the beers of choice are Bud and Coors (and notice you'll see a lot of Coke cans too). Tells you a lot about the mental level of those who are littering.
Here in TX, along with those things, we have a never-ending supply of Big Red bottles, lots of taco/burrito wrappers, and Hot Cheetos bags. And dirty baby diapers. A cultural thing I guess.
Funny how those who are drinking things like better quality beer, organic juice and healthier stuff... you rarely ever see those things on the side of the road. Hmmm........

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,188,949 times
I hike a lot of logging roads around here, and I pick up the cans. They do have a redemption value. Most of the cans are crappy beer that I wouldn't drink. Some of them are full of bullet holes.
Somebody put a big laundry basket on the side of the road leading up the mountain. It had a sign on it inviting people to throw their beer cans in. It was being used, but then someone stole the whole basket.
Around here, it is pretty clear who the litter bugs are.These folks are usually the ones who dump their household garbage out in the woods. They are the ones whose property looks like a landfill, and who pull live trees (on public land) down for firewood.
It seems to me that people who choose to come up here to live appreciate it a lot more than some of folks who have been born and raised here.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM

240 posts, read 475,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Actually, I'm glad that beer is one beverage that is primarily sold in aluminum cans.

I hope they never sell beer in plastic bottles as plastic bottles have replaced beer cans in amount in the ditches by me.
Actually, both Miller and Budweiser sell beer in plastic bottles already, for at least the past five years or so........It's popular at ball parks here in Texas.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM

44 posts, read 65,810 times
Busch Light all the way in SoDak!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Just like tulips4you2 said earlier. Not enough cans in the ditches to hardly find any. Lived in both Maine and Michigan and while Maine has more types of drink containers in their bottle bill, Michigan's is much more effective overall. Most places in MI will give you your refund and you don't have to go to a redemption center for it. And, the difference between a 5 cent refund and a 10 cent refund makes a huge difference in how many are tossed along the roadside.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM

16,420 posts, read 13,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Same here. Because the stupid idiotic people are the ones who are drinking while driving (...greeeaaat.) and they are also the ones who are littering. Among that particular population, the beers of choice are Bud and Coors (and notice you'll see a lot of Coke cans too). Tells you a lot about the mental level of those who are littering.
Here in TX, along with those things, we have a never-ending supply of Big Red bottles, lots of taco/burrito wrappers, and Hot Cheetos bags. And dirty baby diapers. A cultural thing I guess.
Funny how those who are drinking things like better quality beer, organic juice and healthier stuff... you rarely ever see those things on the side of the road. Hmmm........

There is no better quality beer.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
No cans in ditches in IA. Redeem for $. The ones that do get tossed there are snatched up by people who turn them in.

We recycle plastic, metal, and paper at the curb also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living