U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
4,123 posts, read 5,437,679 times
Reputation: 4854

Advertisements

I don't so much mind recycling but I sure minded taking those sticky dirty bottles and cans back to the grocery stores in Michigan when I lived there. Nothing like taking all those germs right into the store where you are about to buy your food. Yuck - there's just something wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,895 posts, read 5,314,237 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandanc View Post
can anyone return plastic bottles for refund in MI because I would love to start a bottle recycle bussiness in the state of nc but need to know where I can sale the bottles I feel this will help American stay clean and we really need this but if I would have trouble saling the bottles why would I stated collecting them
You never watched Seinfeld, did you?

It would be HIGHLY illegal for you to take returnable bottles from one state and then off them in MI for the 10c refund. You could try it, as I'm sure people have, but if you get caught, you'll get into big trouble. MUCH more trouble than it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 AM
 
1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
You never watched Seinfeld, did you?

It would be HIGHLY illegal for you to take returnable bottles from one state and then off them in MI for the 10c refund. You could try it, as I'm sure people have, but if you get caught, you'll get into big trouble. MUCH more trouble than it's worth.
They just had a big sting operation in Maine on this and nabbed a few people doing this very thing in ME/NH (the latter does not have a bottle redemption bill). It is a 10,000 dollar fine.

(But it does go to show you that our crime rate really is not that bad since the powers that be have little else to do but go after beer can swindlers).

I will add that Maine has the best redeption bill out there though. We only get 5C for the average can, BUT everything is listed, from small bottles of strawberry milk, to gallon sized juice bottles to beer cans. If you drink it from a bottle, its more than likely got a 5 cent deposit just to keep them out of our ditches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,895 posts, read 5,314,237 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
They just had a big sting operation in Maine on this and nabbed a few people doing this very thing in ME/NH (the latter does not have a bottle redemption bill). It is a 10,000 dollar fine.

(But it does go to show you that our crime rate really is not that bad since the powers that be have little else to do but go after beer can swindlers).

I will add that Maine has the best redeption bill out there though. We only get 5C for the average can, BUT everything is listed, from small bottles of strawberry milk, to gallon sized juice bottles to beer cans. If you drink it from a bottle, its more than likely got a 5 cent deposit just to keep them out of our ditches.
Are you sure? I was just looking at a few bottles that I had (glass vinegar bottles, and a milk jug as well) thinking that if soda and booze bottles can have the deposit, everything should. But I didn't see that they were returnable...

Well, Gorry Be! I just looked again at my jug of Wyman's Blueberry juice and saw that it is returnable. Not that I drink big bottles of juice that much, but I'll be sure to throw them into the bottle box from now on. I bet I've lost out on all of $1 in the past year from throwing them in the plain old recycle bin! (And I will be looking at my other beverage containers, too.. for some reason I didn't realize that. What about milk jugs, though- do you know what the deal it on that? Do they just deposit on the small bottles and not the larger ones???)

Last edited by deerislesmile; 04-16-2011 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Broken Tap gives good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Commonwealth Of Virginia
624 posts, read 1,042,322 times
Reputation: 288
Interesting topic, sad however that people do not appreciate what they have in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Arkansas, USA
90 posts, read 254,770 times
Reputation: 72
It seems to be Budweiser around here, though this can looks to be a bit older than most. I absolutely can not stand people who are too lazily to throw their trash in a trash can!!

Roadside beer cans-picture-898.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 AM
 
1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
Reputation: 1506
Maine does not have deposit on big milk bottles because of the intent of the redemption bottle bill. It is intended to keep the roadside ditches from having litter in them. You are not very likely to swig down a gallon of milk and toss it out the car window and thus litter, BUT you are likely to swig down a small 12 oz bottle of strawberry milk while driving and toss it out.

Why gallon sized juice bottles are returnable is beyond me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: central Indiana
220 posts, read 390,325 times
Reputation: 162
Maybe folks are using those gallon sized juice bottle to make pass around jugs of screwdrivers and bloody Marys, then throwing them out the window? ~~ Before coffee humor is always questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Maine does not have deposit on big milk bottles because of the intent of the redemption bottle bill. It is intended to keep the roadside ditches from having litter in them. You are not very likely to swig down a gallon of milk and toss it out the car window and thus litter, BUT you are likely to swig down a small 12 oz bottle of strawberry milk while driving and toss it out.

Why gallon sized juice bottles are returnable is beyond me though.
Liely because of the landfill problems they creat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
 
1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Liely because of the landfill problems they creat.
Maybe, but the majority of our trash goes to either PERC or MERC which take municipal trash and burn it to make electricity. Its a good system I guess but it seems like the towns pay pretty high fees to have their trash (their fuel) converted into electricity for them to burn and sell to make power. But at least this trash is being used to make something tangible.

BTW: Even with our redemption bill, there is enough aluminum cans finding its way into the trash which is thus melted down but routed to a trailer truck for the plant to take back to the metal recyclers per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top