U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,970 times

Advertisements

My town does not have social climbers as much as it is the farmers outside of the village district, and then the village district people. This can cause issues as the farmers (large land owners) pay the majority of the taxes, while the villagers outnumber us and thus control what happens to the money at town meeting.

One year we got the upper hand at town meeting and had the numbers so we decided to shut off the street lights in town. It costs us 1200 bucks a year to keep those stupid lights on!

Well it took two special town meetings and nearly 9 months, but the villagers got their lights back on. The selectmen almost quit over the issues, and I am sure a fight or two broke out on the issue, but now 5 years later we all laugh about it.

That is just how my town of 200 people works. We will give 2000 bucks to cancer research without a problem, but $250 bucks for Little League might result in a 30 minute screaming fight at town meeting. The Sheriff is always there too and once my Grandmother at 80 years old got kicked out by the Sheriff for telling a democrat to "sit down you horses-a$$".

God bless America I guess. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,469,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
My town does not have social climbers as much as it is the farmers outside of the village district, and then the village district people. This can cause issues as the farmers (large land owners) pay the majority of the taxes, while the villagers outnumber us and thus control what happens to the money at town meeting.

One year we got the upper hand at town meeting and had the numbers so we decided to shut off the street lights in town. It costs us 1200 bucks a year to keep those stupid lights on!

Well it took two special town meetings and nearly 9 months, but the villagers got their lights back on. The selectmen almost quit over the issues, and I am sure a fight or two broke out on the issue, but now 5 years later we all laugh about it.

That is just how my town of 200 people works. We will give 2000 bucks to cancer research without a problem, but $250 bucks for Little League might result in a 30 minute screaming fight at town meeting. The Sheriff is always there too and once my Grandmother at 80 years old got kicked out by the Sheriff for telling a democrat to "sit down you horses-a$$".

God bless America I guess. LOL
Good that residents are active in your town and feel that they have a right to express their views....Too many people in larger cities become apathetic. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM

252 posts, read 642,104 times
All things are relative. Have messed with, for years, the hierarchy in this small town.

Moved out here, from Lincoln, and wonder, incessantly, why the people in the 1975 ranch style house are considered Warren Buffet while the school's science teacher is considered working class. Why is the Golf Club revered while the Arts' Council struggles? Why is the clerk, from New York City, considered brilliant while the girl who administrates the nursing home suspect?

I also wonder if these things are just relevant to short-sheet experiences. Heard a gal say, one time, that the Kennedy's were only famous because they were rich.... :-)

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
You always find some sort of social climbing whereever you go... whether it's materialistic lifestyle or simply "my _____ is better than your ______". Some people just have to feel superior to others, I guess.

We have a Hatfields and McCoys situation in the little village near where I live. I find it somewhat amusing. Since we live farther out, we're not even considered part of the village, so we get to escape some of the nonsense, but they did approach us when we first moved here attempting to lobby for more supporters and find out what side of the fence we were going to be on. It's pretty entertaining most of the time, and only gets irritating when their little feuds disrupt services or projects in town (which happens once or twice a year).

But it is entirely possible not to play the game and get caught up in it all. We let people know right up front that we were looking to simplify our lives, etc and we don't take the bait when they're playing games. If they want to feel superior, well bully for them, it's no skin off my back. I'm perfectly happy to accept "my place" somewhere near the bottom of the social chain

Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM

I'm not sure that I think people need to feel "better than someone else." Possible that people just want recognition. Therefore, pumping it up helps dispel notions that we're not 'cool.'

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Haha - I think there are people who just don't want to seem 'uncool' and appreciate being acknowledged and validated; but I definitely think there are others who desperately need to feel superior to others because of some deep-seated neurotic lack of self-esteem and satisfying that neurosis is compulsive. Those are not the people who are nice to be around... nuh-uh! One can only deal with so many back-handed 'compliments' and one-up-manship games before you start feeling a compulsion to jam a fork in someone's eye socket

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,469,430 times
Some "social climbers" seem harmless...It's obvious that they are trying to "promote" themselves and "toot their own horn."....It's obvious that they are trying to paint themselves as "do-gooders."....But that's about it. They don't "attack" others very often or play "one-up" and "one-down" games day and night..But some people take their desire to be "on top" way too far.... People like this get all caught up in envy and jealousy and heavy-duty competition and they don't feel bad if they "stab others in the back" in order to "get ahead."...These are the people I try to avoid if I can because they don't "play fair."

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM

So-o-o, Do you think it's more prevalent in small towns...or, do we just notice it, more...or, does it have a greater impact on us?

I think, in Lincoln, it was equally as annoying, but I could more easily remove myself from it.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM

I don't think it's any more common in smaller towns, same population ratio as anywhere else; but with the smaller population and "knowing everyone" it's just more noticeable. However, I do think that it's easier for one of the more unsavory types of social-climbers to gain control/influence in a small town... and that can be very unpleasant. But, if you happen to live on the outskirts, you can easily get away from it. Even if you live in town you can keep yourself out of it, although some of the shenanigans will eventually impact you.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,819,453 times
My tractor's bigger'n your'n. Is too.

My neck's redder'n your'n. Is too.

Actually if there is a "pecking order" in our rural area, we are not aware of it. Obviously some spreads are bigger than others, but nobody seems to get uppity about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living