U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,902,261 times

Advertisements

Don't know that there's a "pecking order" in my rural area either, but there is a definite divide between the "city" and "county" folks.

What I saw where I grew up (eastern WA and OR) was more snobbery among farmers concerning how long their place had been there...more so in OR. Which tickled my Tennesse wife, whose family had been on their place since the 1790s...

It's human nature...and some folks are just toxic and that isn't a country/city thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM

252 posts, read 642,104 times
I think you're right, skinem; it's human nature..insecurities. But, I still think the general population feels like it can woo the country hick faster than he/she can snow the city slicker. And, for some reason, feels it's more necessary. Why is that?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
I think there is a general misconception that country folk are stupid and ignorant. Maybe some of them didn't go to college to get lots of book-learning and an onion-skin for their walls; but most of them aren't stupid or clueless... just have different interests and priorities.

I've been in the city the past few days buyiing building materials for our cabin... not only am I getting attitude because I'm a woman, but some of the guys are also treating me like I barely have an IQ higher than my shoe size because we live out in the sticks. After about 2 hours, I finally got peeved enough to set one of them straight. Told him to "quit looking at my husband for confirmation everytime I asked something because *I'm* the designer and engineer. So when I ask a specific question about such-and-such product, I do know what I'm looking at, what I'm talking about, what it's used for, and what I need it to do!" He turned about 15 shades of red, excused himself, and I got to work with a more amenable associate after that!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM

252 posts, read 642,104 times
Applause for anyone who "sets 'em straight," as that helps all of us who end up where you were.

The OP wanted to know if it was common to find social climbing, in small towns. I think it is. And, I'm just wondering why we can't shake it. Why someone always has to be "cooler." I especially enjoy being with the friends who just say, "I'm not, I can't afford it, and I don't have it all figured out..." even though I know (and they know I know) they've seen it all and they could have it all if they wanted it Period

Maybe it should be a requirement that country folk live in the city, for awhile. Maybe that would cut down on the jockeying for urban credits.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 PM

I think social climbing is just as bad in the city, especially in suburbia ::shudder:: It just seems to be a relatively level percentage of the population no matter where you go. Corporate politics and neighborhood associations are just as overbearing and ridiculous as the small town master/matron nonsense.

At least in a small town, there's only a handful of them and you usually know who they are so you can avoid them.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,066,849 times
Cities big and small have plenty of uneducated residents. They just fly under the radar of the snobs.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 AM

Even some of the educated residents can manage to fly under the radar of the snobs if they work at it

Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm just glad that most of the snobs and social climbers usually reveal themselves fairly quickly...some fairly well advertise it.

Then my radar goes off and they can easily be avoided...or had fun with as the mood dictates.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Best way to deal with social climbers is to ignore them... they hate that since everything they do is driven by the need to get attention

Them "Isn't my brand new ____ just awesome."
Me "mmmm, uh huh"
Them "Don't you just wish you could have one, it's just so awesome."
Me "Not really."
Them "But it's so awesome"
Me "Whatever. Gotta go"

Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM

I do like messing with the climbers...

I love the looks I get when I ask questions like "What kind of ground clearance does your beemer have?" "Do you think it can tow a horse trailer?"

Or making comments to them like "Yeah, we looked at buying in that neighborhood, but it was all pretty much just starter homes. But, I'm sure yours is nice." (Many people in McMansions love hearing this.)

I know, I'll have to answer to God one day for these types of things...but they make it soooo tempting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living