U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times

Advertisements

I had people who used to cross into my fields every once and awhile so I bought two plastic signs that said "Danger", then with a permanent marker underneath the word DANGER, I wrote 11,000 Volts in big bold letters...

NO ONE dares test my fence...

But if you trace the wires back...they are not connected to anything. (LOL)

You could do the same thing, put signs on your fence even if it is not an electrical one, no one will dare test it...and problem solved for $2.50 without liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,996,828 times
I'd be furious if someone was feeding my horses without my permission. What are these people thinking. I fed quality hay and feed with suppliments and they were monitored very closely. I'd put up a couple of strands of hotwire on standout hooks on the OUTSIDE of the fence with appropriate warning signs - the hotwire is for the "trespassing feeders" not the horses....I hope the get zapped.

I'd also talk to the local cops about it too and ask them to do drive-bys and find out what the local statutes are, at the very least it's trespassing.

Training your horse to take food from strangers over the fence is not good, in this day and age some people are down right cruel and could slip them something bad. Or worse, cut the fence and steal them - that's happened quite a bit around my neck of the woods. Someone tried it on my neighbors very valuable Irish Draft cross, he was so big and untrusting of the strangers she got up in the morning and found her fence cut, but her horse still in the pasture, on closer inspection he had whip marks on him and abraisions around his neck where they tried to load him up...Thank the spirits that the big baby won't load for just anyone.

I trained my horses to move AWAY from the fence if anyone approached them along the road - they would trot away. At the time my big baby all 17.2, 1800lbs with size 5 shoes KNEW to stay away from anyone approaching him along the road fence line. He was worth a lot of $$$, I'd spent a lot of time and effort into his training, I sold him as a youngster for $10,000. a year and 1/2 later after being confirmed in Gran Prix Dressage he went for $85,000. But no matter if you critter is a grade backyard horse or a 'spensive critter - it's all the same and would be a huge loss if something should happen.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM

3,684 posts, read 4,348,996 times
You want the one nobody has posted about yet?

What if one of your critters accidentally nips someone...?!? Anyone familiar with animals and anyone with a lick of sense knows it's an accident -- but how many people out there have any sense? Worse, how many people out there are litigation-happy, just looking for a chance to take everything you own because of a nipped finger?

I'd say put up the fake electric fence plus the danger: high voltage warnings, plus a sign that says not to feed the animals (like at the zoo) because "people food may make them sick".

On the flip-side of that, I understand your frustration. It's YOUR land, yet to avoid liability while keeping people away you're forced to clutter it with signs and all sorts of garbage.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
Thanks for all the advice. The county said that people will stop and feed so long as they have a place to do it. Since the land from the road to the fence is 12 feet county property, they agreed to furrow the land to make walking harder and will plants some approved low bushes if we fill in the other spots with flowers. They said since we all mow the grasses and weeds, we are making a parking area for people. If we let it get more natural with bushes and flowers, people are reluctant to drive onto and park over the flowers. I'll give it a try and see what happens by end of summer.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,579,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
My pets (barnyard animals) have developed the nack for begging against the fence when people stop to take pictures. Lately they are eating only a fraction of their feed but are gaining weight from all the handouts. I have posted signs that they are well feed with their own food and they don't need all the other stuff. One problem is I travel and can be away for several days or weeks and my neighbor looks in on them but can't play bouncer along the fence line.

I guess I wouldn't mind if it was a few HEALTHY things now and again but it seems like some people bring half the produce section as they drive along feeding animals. And there are those who bring those boxes of sugar cubes. And you have the whatever is in the cooler gets fed to the animal crowd. Have you ever seen the face of a donkey after eating Sweet-Tarts?

I was thinking of adding another fence back from the road fence so they can't act out their sad sack cuttie face for the tourist to get those threats. Or, should I just let the buggers eat what they are given and save some moeny on feed?

ETA- It seems that these are not other rural folks because they (even the kids) usually will ask if its O.K. to feed the animals.

Has anyone else dealt with this, if so, help!

Most animals survive in the wild because they know what to eat but once we give them treats [ i was soooo quilty of this ] they lose their survial instincts and will sometimes eat poisonous plants they normally wouldn't like .

Far as people feeding them, build the other fence and save yourself and your animals a lot of trouble,imo .

We had a donkey and had to give her away when husband got hurt . We both cried for months ! They are so smart .

Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM

8,082 posts, read 11,891,638 times
This is your property and your animals. Its insanely rude and irresponsible for someone to think its ok to just walk up, trespass and feed them period full stop!

I'd definetly post some signs. If I caught someone I'd take pictures of their license plates and them and turn them in and raise of fuss.

While it may seem trivial its not. And it teaches children not to respect anyone else or their property. By letting them get away with it you contribute to that.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM

178 posts, read 482,317 times
I too would do anything necessary to keep strangers from feeding my animals God knows what. People can be fools, or worse. Luckily I didn't have to deal with an "attractive nuisance" law. I had one mare with a naturally "aw...aren't I sweet" face but if strangers got too close they were cruisin' for a bruisin'. Generally they didn't need to be warned more than once.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Just got word the County will not be able to furrow the area from road to fence because they have to keep the ground level due to safety if someone had to pull over in an emergency.

They did say that if we agree to form a road litter cleaning group, they would cut only the 8 feet needed for that emergency pull off and let the other 4 feet grow as tall as we want so long as we keep the road clean so it doen't look like a mess.

I thought about the second fence back from the property line, but people still can chuck food towards the animals. Instead of the hand feeding it would be like aerial food drops.

Any new thoughts before I start spending money on a second fence?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM

8,082 posts, read 11,891,638 times
I do think signs would take care of some people. Some people may continue to be rude but others might read the sign and comply.
You could set up one of those battery operated deer cameras to get license plates. Add "you are being monitored" to your sign. That might deter a few more.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM

I guess my real issue is the days of carrots, apples and bread are gone, now you find wrappers from Ring-Dings, Snickers, Big Macs and Cheetos. I probably wouldn't mind so much if they they feed the beast the good stuff and brought ME the crap. All anyone tries feeding me over the fence is a sales line about their vacums!
Where is MY Screaming Yellow Zonkers?
Do I not cry for chocolate?
Do I not yearn for Fritos
If you give me candy, do I not accept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living