U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times

Advertisements

My pets (barnyard animals) have developed the nack for begging against the fence when people stop to take pictures. Lately they are eating only a fraction of their feed but are gaining weight from all the handouts. I have posted signs that they are well feed with their own food and they don't need all the other stuff. One problem is I travel and can be away for several days or weeks and my neighbor looks in on them but can't play bouncer along the fence line.

I guess I wouldn't mind if it was a few HEALTHY things now and again but it seems like some people bring half the produce section as they drive along feeding animals. And there are those who bring those boxes of sugar cubes. And you have the whatever is in the cooler gets fed to the animal crowd. Have you ever seen the face of a donkey after eating Sweet-Tarts?

I was thinking of adding another fence back from the road fence so they can't act out their sad sack cuttie face for the tourist to get those threats. Or, should I just let the buggers eat what they are given and save some moeny on feed?

ETA- It seems that these are not other rural folks because they (even the kids) usually will ask if its O.K. to feed the animals.

Has anyone else dealt with this, if so, help!

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-11-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,028,263 times
I think thats great, espeically if they arent living in a rural area themselves! Its a sense of pleasure and adventure to a family driving down the road to see the horse, the cow and the goat. And o0o even better, they eat what we eat! LOL I have seen horses eat Rye Bread, oranges, evem Beer! Now, if my horse got drunk, id be upset, but hey let them live a little! Unless your animal gets sick, id say the more the merrier!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,574,553 times
Put out a gum ball machine filled with grain, and make it cost 8 quarters.. for a tatar sauce cup full. Mabye you will get rich

man I don't know between the fools calling the spca because they couldn't see the barn, and the fools that think horses like clam chowder I really don't know.

If I were you I might run a lectric fence outside your fence.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,574,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I think thats great, espeically if they arent living in a rural area themselves! Its a sense of pleasure and adventure to a family driving down the road to see the horse, the cow and the goat. And o0o even better, they eat what we eat! LOL I have seen horses eat Rye Bread, oranges, evem Beer! Now, if my horse got drunk, id be upset, but hey let them live a little! Unless your animal gets sick, id say the more the merrier!

LOL, On night hauling tourists on a pung with a team of Belguins, some city boy joked, holding up a bottle of peppermint schnoppes to Shorty, my clipped lead hoss.. (male gelding)

Well, Shorty took the offer, and raised his head as high as a belguin can, and guzzeled the whole bottle which was 1/5th and fresh open. That city boy never tasted a drop. Shorty dropped the glass bottle where it broke, and I backed up the pung, and cleaned the glass, while city boy whined about his financial loss. As the last of the glass went in a trash bin, I told him, Boy ain't you got no sence? Hosses don't use or need cash, and I didn't have a drop myself, so yer chit outta luck...

You can whine to Shorty all you want, but I am not paying, since you plain up, just offered.

Shorty was pretty waggy all that night .....

Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 PM

7,770 posts, read 13,221,396 times
Pacific, do you have enough room to put a second fence inside the first, putting a "buffer zone" between the animals on your farm and the animals who feed them everything they shouldn't? You'll still have the occasional idiot who would throw something over, but that buffer would cut out quite a bit.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
I guess that is the option. I just hate to take away any of their free yard space. I wouldn't mind if it were fruits and veggies or grains and botanicals, but when you find Ding-Dong wrapper and BBQ Chip bags, makes you wonder. There was a time I could step out the back and eat my lunch on the porch, but now, open a bag of Doritos and the whole lot are standing at the back door, licking their lips. They have become beggers of human food. Just hope they don't start hanging with the wrong crowd of fence side feeders and take up drinking and smoking

Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,028,263 times
LOL ^. THAT is funny. Anyways, if you dont give in to their begging, they'll decipher its only the on-lookers willing to share, and that you are not sharing an ounce of your doritos with them. lol

Old 05-13-2010, 04:21 PM

19,121 posts, read 27,056,229 times
We strung a small electric wire about 5 feet on the inside of the fence where we caught people feeding. We lived across the street from a private school AND a public elementary school so we got a ton of people feeding our livestock during parent teacher night and the like.

Since we had show animals (dairy goats, horses and a steer or heifer every now and again) we didn't want them getting something bad that would compromise their milk or anything along those lines. We put signs up but that didn't work either. It's amazing what a little electrical jolt to a nose will do to keep the livestock off the fenceline

Of course....then people just started throwing food into the pasture. Stupid people.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM

20,481 posts, read 38,395,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Of course, you're not paying the vet bills when the animal gets very sick later on after you've fed him, either something no horse (or cow - cows will eat anything, even hardware!) should eat, or something that particular animal should not eat - some horses shouldn't even eat grass certain times of the year lest they founder and die.

Beer is good for horses, by the way. There's a reason the trainers in Ireland have given their horses Guinness for donkey's years.

I'm all about allowing folks that don't have easy access to country life to enjoy it, and take every opportunity to provide that, but not at the expense of my animals' health.

OP, how about a strand of electric wire either far enough inside the fence so your animals can't reach the proffered goodies, or, better yet, along the top of your fence (with appropriate signs hanging on it, of course, to warn of a live fence) to discourage those making the offers.

Also, change the signs to read a bit stronger, more like the ones at the zoo that point out that the diets of your animals are very carefully regulated for their health's sake, rather than that they don't "need" that other stuff.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
I'd put the electric fence on the OUTSIDE of your existing fence... give the culprits a jolt instead of reducing your animal's yard. Animals are like kids, they'll do whatever they can get away with... so it's up to the "adults" to set the limits. If folks driving by can't be responsible enough to feed them a carrot or an apple, and are feeding them Ho-Ho's and Fritos, then they deserve a few joules

Some human foods are downright toxic to animals and most non-rural folks don't seem to understand this. There's nothing sadder than having to put a good animal down because they've been fed something bad for them and developed colic, pancreatitis, kidney/liver failure, etc. I can sort of forgive someone who feeds an animal the wrong handful of weeds, but a Twinkie? Come on now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living