U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,894,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Driller1, I've never heard anyone say that depth has nothing to do with production. I'm not sure what you mean.

I can see that would be true as a blanket rule, in that you don't necessarily get more the deeper you go, but all my experience with wells (only a handful of my own, but lots of conversation with neighbors in the arid west where it mattered a lot about them) depth can make a big difference as brien51 was saying...
How many have you drilled???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM

MDEQ Well Record Retrieval System

Here ya go.....

read some old well logs.

The newer logs are not on line for the public.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How many have you drilled???
None--never said I did, but I've had several drilled in 3 different states, so I know what my experience has been and what each driller has told and explained to me.

All I did was ask a question--I thought I made clear I didn't understand. You've always been so helpful with your posts I didn't think you'd mind explaining.

I understand that depth in and of itself isn't a function of production. I understand that there are differences in water table depths. I understand in some places that there seems to be streams, or veins as another poster put it, of water moving through the ground and that you can drill into and out of water.

Maybe I understand wrong--that's why I asked.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:31 AM

4,259 posts, read 9,887,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In Michigan our isolation is 50 foot from the septic to the well. I would love to see you get 75 foot on some of these lake lots.
In PA it's 100'. Imagine the trouble we have...

Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times
My uncle ran into that trouble with his lake cabin ( small lot, 3 miles from me in Minnesota)

Everyplace they measured------too close to lake, too close to well,too close to property line.

They ended up having a 2,000 gallon holding tank installed/buried with no drain fields.

When the old septic tank was dug up, they discovered it had no bottom-----dirt bottom.

Their cabin was the first built on that lake in the early 60's and they bought it in the late 70's.

They are a retired couple who have their permanent home in Minneapolis,so the holding tank is no big deal. It has a floating dipstick and they pump it when full.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Isolation distances vary state to state.

In Michigan sometimes we can not get the 50 foot. Then the health department will look at things and write a variance.

One the most we could get was 37 foot. That one we had to double case.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 AM

14 posts, read 36,415 times
I've lived with a septic most of my life, and living with it is pretty much exactly the same as you're probably used to, except you have to be careful not to flush stuff like plastic wrappers. (And your wife shouldn't flush girly things.)
But honestly, if you flush the wrong things and it eventually clogs (which you'll know because it'll bubble up in your yard above the tank..) all you do is call a guy with a big vacuum truck to empty it and you're good to go. No big deal.

I've never lived with a well or water tank, (except when I lived with my dad on his boat, if that counts.. no well of course, but a tank. Appliances worked as usual.) but I wouldn't be too worried about that either. They've had lots of time to get good systems in place. I'm sure it's nothing the average person couldn't handle.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I so desperately need to understand more about septics mostly but wells also as I've been a mostly city girl for my 60 years. So I'm going to jump in here and tell a short story and ask for clarification as to where my thinking is off.

First, I owned a home in a rural area about 30 years ago - we were there less than 5 years and the home was about 8 years old when we bought. I had been told that the septic systems for the 6 similar houses were all done by the same company and none had ever been pumped, including ours, and there really should not ever be a need. And that use of any septic additive was unnecessary. So I didn't change a thing. I use bleach - a lot and strong concentrations. I bleach all towels, sheets, underwear and I use bleach in the kitchen even in dishwater. 3 years after we moved in, everything backed up - the basement toilet overflowed when water upstairs was turned on. What a MESS. So I got some names of a septic company and called. Supposedly this man was THE person to call. He instructed me to dig down to the top of the tank in order to save him time because he could not make it for 24 hours. So I started digging EXACTLY where he said - x number of feet from the house where the circle of grass was best. It stunk! It was stony. He arrived, said STOP, that's the field. It was less than 8' from the house. The tank was located by him in 3 minutes at 6 feet from the house. He started using a torch to remove the cover in order to pump out the tank and was going to put a collar and cover on it when done. So I went back in the house - I had 2 children, one an infant and I hear screaming and hollaring in the back yard - they were throwing all the dirt they had dug up back onto the tank. It seems there was a fire and imminent explosion. He said that in his 50 years, he'd never seen a tank in such bad shape. OBVIOUSLY, something my family did caused that as no one else in the neighborhood (even with more children) had their tanks pumped - not even by the time we moved out.

Explain this please.
This happened because you use too much bleach! It kills all the bacteria that help decompose your waste. You really should not use bleach if your house has a septic.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omh3 View Post
This happened because you use too much bleach! It kills all the bacteria that help decompose your waste. You really should not use bleach if your house has a septic.
I use bleach.........lots of it.

Never had a problem with our septic.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM

186 posts, read 325,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA00G View Post
Thanks to all of you... I feel much more comfortable with this now!

Sounds like the house I'm thinking of buying would be ok... it is on a small rise, so slopes two ways. Not sure which way they put the drain field, but either way it would be on a slope. Good tips about the animal fat; I'd read that too... so basically stay off the garbage disposal, don't dump anything down the drain that wasn't intended to be go down it and you should be ok!

As for the water district... the house doesn't actually have a well. Instead, as I understand it, the water district has a number of wells from which it pumps water into holding tanks. There are a limited number of shares in the district and each house in the area has to buy a share. When there are no more shares available, don't build because you probably won't have water. This property already owns a share so I should be ok. I was more concerned about the reliability of this sort of system vs a huge metropolitan water company that serves millions and is almost too big to completely fail. One thing I didn't mention and should have is that the properties I've been interested in are all in western Washington, so not as much of an issue as the dry side.

Thanks again!
Personally, I would not buy a house with a shared/regulated well or septic. You cannot control what other people do, but they surely will try to control you!

If it were me, I would find a property with a well and septic, even if they are older it may be in your benefit. Not sure what the laws are there, but here in NJ (believe it or not), a house cannot transfer legally if the septic and/or well inspections fail...so the seller is basically required to do what is necessary for them to pass, even if that means replacing either or both. The septic and well inspections are paid for buy the buyer, but are a legal requirement, unlike the general home inspection. If a system's inspection fails, most sellers will repair/replace this at their own expense because they've already accepted the offer and will need to do it regardless of buyer. Septics generally have a life of 30 +/- years (I could be wrong), so getting a brand new $15k+ septic system is a real bonus. Plus, due to the legal requirement, the new system has to be inspected by the NJ DEP. Wells are less likely to fail, but again, here in NJ, the water itself must pass a quality test. So if it fails, the seller will have to make necessary adjustments (via treatment/softener setup) to bring the water quality up to pass. Again, the seller will generally cover this cost as it's mandatory for transfer of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living