U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
Personally, I would not buy a house with a shared/regulated well or septic. You cannot control what other people do, but they surely will try to control you!

If it were me, I would find a property with a well and septic, even if they are older it may be in your benefit. Not sure what the laws are there, but here in NJ (believe it or not), a house cannot transfer legally if the septic and/or well inspections fail..
I bet that is not truly a 'law'.

Maybe it is a bank policy, or it could be a realtor policy, or I have heard of states that had laws on the conduct of realtors which required lots of things so it could be that the state requires realtors to 'enforce' things like that.

Among the properties that we have owned, we have been that X / Y / Z were 'law', only to later learn that, no, the realtor was lying again. Such was not 'law' it was one of these other things.

Legally transferring a property can be as simple as filing a quit claim deed at the court house with a $5 fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,887,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
Personally, I would not buy a house with a shared/regulated well or septic. You cannot control what other people do, but they surely will try to control you!

If it were me, I would find a property with a well and septic, even if they are older it may be in your benefit. Not sure what the laws are there, but here in NJ (believe it or not), a house cannot transfer legally if the septic and/or well inspections fail...so the seller is basically required to do what is necessary for them to pass, even if that means replacing either or both. The septic and well inspections are paid for buy the buyer, but are a legal requirement, unlike the general home inspection. If a system's inspection fails, most sellers will repair/replace this at their own expense because they've already accepted the offer and will need to do it regardless of buyer. Septics generally have a life of 30 +/- years (I could be wrong), so getting a brand new $15k+ septic system is a real bonus. Plus, due to the legal requirement, the new system has to be inspected by the NJ DEP. Wells are less likely to fail, but again, here in NJ, the water itself must pass a quality test. So if it fails, the seller will have to make necessary adjustments (via treatment/softener setup) to bring the water quality up to pass. Again, the seller will generally cover this cost as it's mandatory for transfer of property.
I would never share either.........I have heard many nightmare stories.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,492 posts, read 41,085,731 times
currently have 6 homes on different shared wells. (Have had many in the past).
I write a robust well agreement that is filed with the deed.
Have not had a problem, tho benefit is shared expense when / if issues arise (new pump / major expense).

Never have had a shared septic, but have had a few small public septic installations.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:42 PM

471 posts, read 491,763 times
Does anyone have a whole house filtration system for their well water? If so, what system do you have?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Does anyone have a whole house filtration system for their well water? If so, what system do you have?
What are you trying to filter out????

Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 PM

471 posts, read 491,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What are you trying to filter out????
I'm moving to a rural area soon and the new house has well water. I keep hearing that you need to get the water tested but no one says where and who can give an accurate water test. The county website does not have a health department of EPA. I emailed the county and they gave me a local pharmacy for water testing, which sounds very odd.

So I guess I need to find out who can test the water, get the water tested, and then determine if a water filtration system is needed?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
I'm moving to a rural area soon and the new house has well water. I keep hearing that you need to get the water tested but no one says where and who can give an accurate water test. The county website does not have a health department of EPA. I emailed the county and they gave me a local pharmacy for water testing, which sounds very odd.

So I guess I need to find out who can test the water, get the water tested, and then determine if a water filtration system is needed?
We use our Cooperative Extension Office. However they contract the testing to a lab somewhere. The lab might be a pharmacy, I don't know.

Don't buy a filter until after you learn if you need one.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:

The person to ask is your well driller.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Where are you moving to????

Old 06-13-2015, 07:14 PM

38,044 posts, read 46,844,839 times
I don't know the idiosyncrasies of Oregon, but we had well and septic for 20 years, and they were relatively easy to maintain.
We had a contract with a maintenance company to deal with any issues with the septic system, and the well was never an issue.
If you keep in mind that millions of people live this way, it is less scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living