U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2015, 01:26 PM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,882,093 times
Reputation: 11471

Advertisements

In Michigan the health department does two tests on new water wells.

One is for BT. (are wells are not approved until there is a clean BT test)

And a partial chemistry.......fluoride, chloride, hardness, nitrate, nitrite, sulfate, and iron.

The fees are paid for in your permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM
 
186 posts, read 325,311 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The person to ask is your well driller.
Yes, they can recommend the treatment setup and do the testing...at least where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,882,093 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
Yes, they can recommend the treatment setup and do the testing...at least where I am.
Yep........I always keep test bottles.....just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM
 
471 posts, read 491,462 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Where are you moving to????
Cumberland County VA. It's very rural. The well drilling permit states that a bacteriological analysis from a certified lab is required. We had the water tested by a local certified lab and they approved the water for drinking.

I guess if I want further testing to find out if it should be filtered I should get a partial chemistry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
3,682 posts, read 1,896,947 times
Reputation: 4737
They should test for phosphates. That would likely indicate leakage from a septic system into the drinking water. What about pH? Hardness and pH are likely different things though likely related.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In Michigan the health department does two tests on new water wells.

One is for BT. (are wells are not approved until there is a clean BT test)

And a partial chemistry.......fluoride, chloride, hardness, nitrate, nitrite, sulfate, and iron.

The fees are paid for in your permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,882,093 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Cumberland County VA. It's very rural. The well drilling permit states that a bacteriological analysis from a certified lab is required. We had the water tested by a local certified lab and they approved the water for drinking.

I guess if I want further testing to find out if it should be filtered I should get a partial chemistry?
Yep.........you likely can get the bottles from who tested your well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 08:42 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,882,093 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
They should test for phosphates. That would likely indicate leakage from a septic system into the drinking water. What about pH? Hardness and pH are likely different things though likely related.
The nitrate test does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
3,682 posts, read 1,896,947 times
Reputation: 4737
Been awhile but I recall finding phosphates in well water without measurable nitrates. The phosphates delivered a pH below 7 which is extremely unusual I believe.

But then, phosphates are relatively harmless while nitrates are not. Both are indicative of decomposition of organic matter with "incomplete decay".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The nitrate test does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top