Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:25 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
And also the Land of 10,000,000,000,000 mosquitoes.
I was out bareback cutting thistles yesterday afternoon.
The wife spent the afternoon fishing on one of the many lakes near us.

Neither one of us swatted a single mosquito and didn't use/need any bug spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM

277 posts, read 625,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I was out bareback cutting thistles yesterday afternoon.
The wife spent the afternoon fishing on one of the many lakes near us.

Neither one of us swatted a single mosquito and didn't use/need any bug spray.
One of the things I will never miss about living in Minnesota is the insects that ruin the summer, mosquitoes suck. Sorry but your experiences with mosquitoes differs greatly with mine.

Mosquito

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Try the Lake Winnipesaukee region towns in NH of: Wolfeboro, Alton, Gilford, Meredith, Tuftonboro, Moultonboro, Laconia, and Center Harbor. Also try the Ossipee Lakes region of Ossipee and Freedom.
In the Newfound Lake region try the towns of Bristol, Bridgewater, Hebron, and Alexandria.

ALL are FANTASTIC places for those that desire rural wooded living with amenities nearby at a moderate cost depending on your lifestyle.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Northwest lower Michigan. Traverse City is a regional business and health care hub, and there are many more inland lakes within a 30 mile radius of there. The down side is that you Must Love Snow because you're on the lake effect side of things.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,387,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I am in Prescott, AZ. Elevation is 5400' in the city. Summers can hit just over 90° but the average summer day is around mid 80's and we get some snow in the winter. We have lots of tall trees, pines and oaks and such, all over town.
Smaller town, we do get lots of tourists in the summer.
My rental is 4 miles and 15 minutes from a 15 acre city park lake, (but there are about 5 lakes within 10 miles) and is stocked with trout but also has some bass in it. $40 for entrance to the lake/parking for a year from the city so costs are pretty cheap.
Our town has lots going on at the city square/courthouse/park almost every weekend and evenings during this time of the year. About 100 miles from Phoenix if you have to have the big city but it's hot there in the summers.
We are right next to the national forest so hiking and such is there.
It's a smaller community so jobs are limited as is the pay for them but the rents reflect that of course.
I don't know what you consider expensive or course or what your habits are for living.
Nice location but I am looking to relocate to salt water for fishing myself in retirement. I was born on the salt water and miss it too much living here.
My wife lives in Prescott,AZ. From what she's told me she live in a trailer park on Whipple Ct. #19
She's been trying to get me to move back there. For some reason we lost contact.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,387,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Northwest lower Michigan. Traverse City is a regional business and health care hub, and there are many more inland lakes within a 30 mile radius of there. The down side is that you Must Love Snow because you're on the lake effect side of things.
Taverse City has Sleeping Bear Dunes. Cherry orchards and an annual Cherry festival.

Then there's my home town 50mi's south of Traverse City, s small town called Cadillac which is practically an Island on it's own lakes that surround the town.

pic's of Michigan
Pics of Spectacular Michigan

Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I just did some checking on Warsaw. Lot's of water and fishing there, that's for sure.
It also appears that other than the humidity of summer that the WX range and averages is just about like where we live now in AZ.
I may have to make a trip back there to check it out.
While you are in Missouri you may as well check out Jefferson City, MO too. Close to the Missouri River and lake of the ozarks, lots of kayaking on the Gasconade river, biking along the Katy trail. I'd also throw out Mountain Home Arkansas for being close to lakes & rivers with a relatively low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living