U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:04 AM

3,684 posts, read 4,348,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's Western states where you don't own the water rights to the water under or on your land. CO is a well known example, you can't even legally collect rainwater there.

Are you serious?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM

17,088 posts, read 22,605,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Are you serious?!?
Well I dug a little and just last year the law changed, but you still need a permit to collect rainwater, and anyone on a municipal water source can't: Colorado Legalizes Rain Water Harvesting. Kind Of. » GroovyGreen.com – Start Today :: Save Tomorrow

It's still insane...and CO wasn't the only state this way...

Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM

17,088 posts, read 22,605,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How did they force them???
You either connect or they throw you out of your home.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,949,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Anyone here recieve letter from government about capping your well ?

We moved here because of the rurla living and well water , now they are after us to use city water .

When we visit our kids their city water is so full of bleach sometimes it almost takes your breath ! They are use to it and can't even smell the stuff anymore .

What is going on with the control over us all ? Also they are doing away with homestead exemptions and this doubles taxes . In Dalas Ga. and Gilsville they have already done so in many areas .

Anyone else have any of these problems ?
Oh yea, we were served official papers about this last year. The nearby towns public works dept is slobbering about getting us all on meters, and they can kiss our a@%. The feds are sticking their noses in everything they can, under the guise of public health. There has even been talk of the FDA regulating backyard gardens. The first concrete truck I see heading for my well gets pocked full of .308 holes!! The poor slob that was out here serving the papers was lucky to get out without getting hung. Messing with peoples water is a good way to start a war.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Our situation was a little different... we were on city water and had private septic. When the house was originally built, it had a well; but when the city put in muni water, they forced everyone to hook up by fining them or getting a court injunction to cap their wells. Anyway, they were trying to do the same thing with septic and sewers; and ours was the last of 2 houses in our neighborhood still on septic. Our septic never had a problem, never caused a problem for the neighbors; but when we needed to get a water leak in the muni line from the meter to the house fixed it would have required us to dig up the farthest corner of our leech field... so the county & city tried to force us to fill our septic and hook up to sewer in order to obtain the permit to fix the water leak. We could have ignored the leak and just kept paying higher water bills (although that is very irresponsible waste of resources) but then they threatened to tack on an additional fine for everyday the suspected leak wasn't fixed. Either way, we were looking at being out several $k. It was just bureaucratic BS... and in the end, that would probably have saved us since our house was right on the city (Kenmore/Bothell) and county (King/Snohomish) lines and they kept arguing about which it actually belonged in.

Whatever... I'm glad I don't live there anymore. Out here in the middle of nowhere I can drink from a mud puddle and sh*t in the woods if I felt like it and no one would have any control or say about it... and I certainly don't have to pay anyone for the privilege!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Do you have a drilled well ?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM

marmac - was that qestion to me or the OP? We don't have a well at all, we haul our drinking water from the village well and general use water is from snow/rain/creek. We do plan to drive a sandpoint well, but if that absolutely doesn't work we might go ahead and get someone out to drill. We're in a river valley, so water isn't too far down... the shallow water is muddy and a little bacteria laden (from all the wildlife) so we'll have to filter and treat it a little.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,707,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How did they force them???

annexation, permit issues, revocation of CofO.. whatever works.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:01 PM

I agree with what others have said about the muni "forcing" people to cap their wells and connect to muni water. Many jurisdictions impose fines, deny permits for any additional work on the property, cite you with all sorts of "health issues" to get you into court when you will almost undoubtedly be legally mandated to close your well or face more fines and/or jail time. In some places, they just simply pass a law that makes it illegal to have a well or septic on your property... voila!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
( regarding wells)

At the old home farm, where I lived til 1978, we did not have running water.
A hand pump on an old 30 ft well-------open dug well 15 ft down, ponded pipe 15 more feet.

The water was so good tasting that every morning at 7:30 the railroad crew of 5 men would stop and fill their 10 gallon cooler before they headed further north down the track.

However, when I sold the place, the neighbor could not get a loan to build a new house unless it had a drilled well with a mini,mum of 40 ft. ( his new well is 55ft)

I, also, would not have been allowed to sell milk to the milk plant with the well I had ( my father did for years)

I don't know if my old well was technically illegal, but there were many other laws to hinder you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living