Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times

Advertisements

Ok...I'm clicking my heels together and wishing for a small to mid-sized town near a lake. Lived in Burlington, Vermont and loved it but it has become quite costly and like so many other locations local companies have been making massive layoffs so finding a job is even harder.

Love the 4 seasons, vibrant falls, snowy winters, a sense of tradition and want to be near a lake. Bike trails and water is important as I kayak and cycle. As long as I'm throwing my pennies into the wishing well, a town that has a variety of shopping, a couple of museums and colleges and a slew of festivals. Have been intrigued by the many articles about cottage towns across the U.S.

Am in Portland, OR. right now...don't get me wrong Oregon is beautiful BUT 9 months of rain out of the year is too much for me.

Wanting too much, or is this place really out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Well we have 7 out of your eleven wishes here in Midvale Idaho.
Midvale, Idaho!
There is Mann Creek Reservoir and Hells Canyon and Fairwell bend for lakes/Rivers and a river tight through town. Rails to Trails through town for 83 miles for biking. We do have four seasons usually. This year has been pretty strange. Not the norm. Jobs are scarce to none depending on what you do.

We do not have "As long as I'm throwing my pennies into the wishing well, a town that has a variety of shopping, a couple of museums and colleges and a slew of festivals." You would have to travel for those things a bit.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Treasure Lake outside of DuBois, PA.

Welcome to Treasure Lake

Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
How about Plattsburgh, NY? Right across the lake from what Burlington has to offer and cheaper. Of course it's also further from employment.

You might also like the Finger Lakes region of NY state, possibly Ithaca or Skaneateles (live in Auburn which is much cheaper and with more history than Skan. but only a bike ride away). Employment possibilities vary by field and might be worse than Burlington depending on what you do.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM

167 posts, read 864,433 times
Mandeville, Louisiana. Has everything on your list except 4 seasons. All the other requests would receive an A+.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
From where I live, there are about 50 lakes within 30 miles and a city of 70,000 35 miles away.

Lake Wobegon trail goes close by. ( central MN )

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonstudio View Post
Ok...I'm clicking my heels together and wishing for a small to mid-sized town near a lake. Lived in Burlington, Vermont and loved it but it has become quite costly and like so many other locations local companies have been making massive layoffs so finding a job is even harder.

Love the 4 seasons, vibrant falls, snowy winters, a sense of tradition and want to be near a lake. Bike trails and water is important as I kayak and cycle. As long as I'm throwing my pennies into the wishing well, a town that has a variety of shopping, a couple of museums and colleges and a slew of festivals. Have been intrigued by the many articles about cottage towns across the U.S.

Am in Portland, OR. right now...don't get me wrong Oregon is beautiful BUT 9 months of rain out of the year is too much for me.

Wanting too much, or is this place really out there?
Ok, "there's no place like home" click-click of the heels. Why not another smaller town in VT on a lake where you could drive to B-town for amusement. It's precisely what I did. At least you're surrounded by everything you love and the state is so small it's all a short commute! Ever hear of creating a perfect home base that is in the middle of everything you might want/not want to do?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,069 times
I am in Prescott, AZ. Elevation is 5400' in the city. Summers can hit just over 90° but the average summer day is around mid 80's and we get some snow in the winter. We have lots of tall trees, pines and oaks and such, all over town.
Smaller town, we do get lots of tourists in the summer.
My rental is 4 miles and 15 minutes from a 15 acre city park lake, (but there are about 5 lakes within 10 miles) and is stocked with trout but also has some bass in it. $40 for entrance to the lake/parking for a year from the city so costs are pretty cheap.
Our town has lots going on at the city square/courthouse/park almost every weekend and evenings during this time of the year. About 100 miles from Phoenix if you have to have the big city but it's hot there in the summers.
We are right next to the national forest so hiking and such is there.
It's a smaller community so jobs are limited as is the pay for them but the rents reflect that of course.
I don't know what you consider expensive or course or what your habits are for living.
Nice location but I am looking to relocate to salt water for fishing myself in retirement. I was born on the salt water and miss it too much living here.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,214 times
Been to Prescott nice place. My brother and his wife used to live there. I agree with keninaz it really is a lovely place. They liked it but had to move because of wifes family needed help.Otherwise I bet they would not have moved away.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living