U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

2,318 posts, read 508,029 times
Default Seal-O-Matic or Food Saver ?

Anyone here used these products for dehydrated or drying foods ? What is the least expensive way to seal the food that works ?

I'm putting a Excaliber dehydrater on law-a-way . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 AM

11,492 posts, read 25,992,256 times
Law-a-way? Isn't that another name for a product recall?

On the cheap - use zippered sandwich bags. To exclude most of the air, immerse the filled bag in water up to the zipper - the water pressure will form the bag around the food. Then zip shut. I can get 60 zipper sandwich bags for a buck at the dollar store. About a hlf dozen won't seal properly, but that still is way cheaper than special equipment and bags.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,049,843 times
I use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers for long term storage of dried goods. If I am putting a mix of things together, I put them in zip locks, then into the mylar bag. For everyday dry goods storage, I use glass or plastic containers. Zip locks 'breathe' and that air can degrade your food over a period of time. A good plastic or glass contianer with an air tight lid is your best bet. Dehydrated foods can last for years of stored properly.

You can recycle jars that other food from store comes in. I do that all the time.

I have an excaliber and use it on a regular basis. If you need info on dehydrating, go here: Dehydrate2Store.com | Welcome - Educating and Helping Those Who Want To Learn About Dehydration

Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers for long term storage of dried goods. If I am putting a mix of things together, I put them in zip locks, then into the mylar bag. For everyday dry goods storage, I use glass or plastic containers. Zip locks 'breathe' and that air can degrade your food over a period of time. A good plastic or glass contianer with an air tight lid is your best bet. Dehydrated foods can last for years of stored properly.

You can recycle jars that other food from store comes in. I do that all the time.

I have an excaliber and use it on a regular basis. If you need info on dehydrating, go here: Dehydrate2Store.com | Welcome - Educating and Helping Those Who Want To Learn About Dehydration

We are trying to get the excaliber soon as possible but we are not good at food preserving yet . Never dried ,and tried caning with supervision, but it cooked my squash to soup !

Thanks .

Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Law-a-way? Isn't that another name for a product recall?

On the cheap - use zippered sandwich bags. To exclude most of the air, immerse the filled bag in water up to the zipper - the water pressure will form the bag around the food. Then zip shut. I can get 60 zipper sandwich bags for a buck at the dollar store. About a hlf dozen won't seal properly, but that still is way cheaper than special equipment and bags.

LOL, thanks but we are older people and don't have patiance for that .

Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,049,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
We are trying to get the excaliber soon as possible but we are not good at food preserving yet . Never dried ,and tried caning with supervision, but it cooked my squash to soup !

Thanks .
Dehydrate2store has videos you can watch that walk you through step by step. Its not hard at all to dehydrate after you watch those videos.

Check with your county extension office and see if they have canning classes. Sometimes the county extension offices offer gardening, canning, and other classes about food storage. I ask around to find help canning. Invest in the Ball Canning books, they are great. I have never had a problem using those books and everything has tasted great.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Dehydrate2store has videos you can watch that walk you through step by step. Its not hard at all to dehydrate after you watch those videos.

Check with your county extension office and see if they have canning classes. Sometimes the county extension offices offer gardening, canning, and other classes about food storage. I ask around to find help canning. Invest in the Ball Canning books, they are great. I have never had a problem using those books and everything has tasted great.

Thanks I'll check this out soon as we get these chics settled in .

I'll probably be asking yall for more help too . But i'll try those sites for sure . I can't watch videos though I have very slow dialup.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 AM

12,503 posts, read 17,905,037 times
I love our Food Saver and also my dehydrator. My husband and I do the food saver in a production line type set up, with my son helping also. It is fast and easy that way and we really like the quality of the food preservation. We also use the food saver to put up the dehydrated items! haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living