Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 9,192 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 just relocated from Saint Paul, MN where we lived in a beautiful old Victorian in a very walkable neighborhood. We would love to find a similar neighborhood in/around Sacramento. Would you give us some relocation advice based on the following criteria?

1. price range = 200-250K
2. no more than 20-30 minute commute to job (working in Land Park/Curtis Park neighborhood)
3. decent schools (kids ages 1 & 3) so we still have a few years
4. would like 1500 sq ft or more, but would settle for less if the house has character
4. would love to be able to walk to parks, library, grocery store, bank, etc.
5. older homes with mature trees and/or houses with character would be ideal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
from what I can recall, that can be hard to find in Sacramento -- and in California in general. Everything is a lot newer in California in general, except in a few places.

I'd look into Auburn if I were you. Some of the old mining towns might fit what you want.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,939 times
MN is so wonderful. You will be hard pressed to find what you are looking for here in the Valley. Auburn is a great choice and Placerville is lovely. But these are a bit further away from Land Park esp. in traffic.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM

you are both depressing me! was hoping for some better news What, on my list, would I have to give up in order to live closer to work?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:26 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Schools.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
the sort of Victorian type house with mature trees and walkable areas with a vareity of housing is what I'm thinking you will miss. In California a lot of the housing areas all are sort of beige / stucco with red roofs (or something like that, looked red to me) but you can find those older homes just not quite in the neighborhoods like we are used to in the midwest. There might be some in Sacramento but I'm thinking more like Auburn (which is a nice place in my opinion -- what you give up in cozy neighborhood you get back in natural beauty) and there is a quaintness in a lot of those older towns.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 PM

I don't mean to be depressing but we are just telling you what is out here. Have you visited the area? Maybe you should visit if you haven't already and take a look at some of the areas before you move or make a decision to move. I know a few people that have moved from MN and the complaints they have are types of housing (like you described-you want the victorian home. Those types of homes are here but they are very expensive, people mentality and cost of living plus education.

If you want to live closer to Land Park you have to give up the schools and victorian home. 200K-250K you will be lucky to even find a nice fixer up type of home. I am sorry that I can't give you better news.

Auburn is a very nice town with nice people and nice little homes but you still won't find a victorian for 200-250K.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 PM

thanks...very interesting...lots to think about. i don't necessarily have my heart set on a victorian, just can't stand the feel of the cookie cutter suburb houses.

So if we didn't worry about schools, would there be a neighborhood more urban & walkable in our price range near Land Park? For instance, in Saint Paul, we couldn't afford to live in the most affluent neighborhoods with the huge Victorians or Tudors, but we found an up & coming neighborhood (Selby/Dale) that was walkable & near everything that suited us well. Is there anything like that? We've heard that Pocket is nice (maybe too expensive for us) as well as Arden/Arcade.

I'm familiar with Roseville/Rocklin which has great schools & larger homes in our price range. But it doesn't appeal to me (too suburban & too far from work). Is there anything in between (not necessarily geographically) Roseville & Land Park that might be a better fit for us?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 PM

Pocket is nice but crime can be iffy....it is close to south sac. Land Park is nice but again expensive. I am familiar with Selby/Dale area of MN and I can tell you with certain you aren't going to find an area like that in Sacramento. I don't know much about Arden/Arcade so I can't comment on that area.

Roseville is nice but again you are going into the suburbs unless you live in old town Roseville which is nice.

WHen are you moving and have you been to the area?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

we're moving to Sac late summer/early fall...been in Concord, CA for a year now waiting to transfer up to Sac. we have family out here (Chico), hence the reason for the move, as well as a better job.

we haven't started looking yet...kind of overwhelming, but we have been to Sac on multiple occasions. i actually lived in citrus heights when I was a little girl, but was too young to really remember much. we own investment property in Saint Paul (4-plex) so we're keeping our price range kind of low so as not to overextend ourselves.

i'm sure we'll have to give up something...just not sure what yet

Last edited by krtup; 06-19-2010 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento