Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

I have recently been granted the opportunity to move to California to the Sacramento (El Dorado/Folsom) area. I am now located in a relatively small town in Mississippi. I have visited California many times, and I can appreciate its' majestic qualities. From the outside in, California seems so big! Obviously it is in relation to Mississippi. I have not met anyone nor have I really scoped it out. I do not know where anything is located, how to get around, or really anything about the Cali lifestyle. I have been given the choice to either stay where I am now and go to college or move to California and go to college. I am getting down to the point where I am running out of time to choose. California is SOOO different in so many ways. I am terrified of not finding a "clique" of friends, not knowing my way around, running into unkind/violent people, and overall just not being comfortable with my surroundings. I have built a life for myself here in Mississippi, and I do not know if I am ready for this big of a change. I guess what I am asking is just for tips or advice. This could very well change my life. I just do not want to make the wrong decision. Thanks so much in advance for any imput!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc2010 View Post
I have recently been granted the opportunity to move to California to the Sacramento (El Dorado/Folsom) area. I am now located in a relatively small town in Mississippi. I have visited California many times, and I can appreciate its' majestic qualities. From the outside in, California seems so big! Obviously it is in relation to Mississippi. I have not met anyone nor have I really scoped it out. I do not know where anything is located, how to get around, or really anything about the Cali lifestyle. I have been given the choice to either stay where I am now and go to college or move to California and go to college. I am getting down to the point where I am running out of time to choose. California is SOOO different in so many ways. I am terrified of not finding a "clique" of friends, not knowing my way around, running into unkind/violent people, and overall just not being comfortable with my surroundings. I have built a life for myself here in Mississippi, and I do not know if I am ready for this big of a change. I guess what I am asking is just for tips or advice. This could very well change my life. I just do not want to make the wrong decision. Thanks so much in advance for any imput!
Well Sac is one of the places in California I like the most if that is any help.

I am not sure what you are planning on studying or what you mean by you have been given the opportunity to move to California? Are you prepared for the cost of out of state tuition for starters? Do you realize unless you have already been accepted it is way too late to get into any of the colleges in Ca for this coming year. and why do you think you want to move?

These are all questions only you can answer? It sounds to me you have enough doubt that it might be better if you think about this maybe for the coming year and consider the move next year. That being said, El Dorado/Folsum is a very nice area. Yes, different from Mississippi but there is a lot to see and do in California.

Nita

Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Mississippi has a lot of variation between areas too. Seems like you get a bit locked in and comfortable, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Looking at your posting, it seems you have a bit of an internal struggle between "breaking out" and your comfort zone. Based on your long list of concerns, I think you may just be better off staying put. I suspect if you left you would be having a bit of an anxiety attack, and not able to adequately focus on schoolwork.

Perhaps another year or so you'll feel differently, but at the moment you seem too hesitant to really be able to enjoy the experience and still focus on your business at hand.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Perhaps another year or so you'll feel differently, but at the moment you seem too hesitant to really be able to enjoy the experience and still focus on your business at hand.
I quite agree. Given your misgivings, and they're understandable, I'd stay put. Going to college brings with it stressors aplenty. Why add to them? The combination could be overwhelming.

Consider attending your first couple of years in MS and when time and resources are asvailable, pay some visits to CA and get a feel for campus life there. Then make a truly knowing choice.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I quite agree. Given your misgivings, and they're understandable, I'd stay put. Going to college brings with it stressors aplenty. Why add to them? The combination could be overwhelming.

Consider attending your first couple of years in MS and when time and resources are asvailable, pay some visits to CA and get a feel for campus life there. Then make a truly knowing choice.
I completely agree with what everyone else said.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:07 PM

33 posts, read 51,932 times
Your experience living in Sacramento is dependent upon your own attitude and choices. You can pretty much live however you like and whatever lifestyle you like by the area you live in and the activities you engage in. That is what I always loved about it, so many ways to live and lots to do (or not do!), lots of natural beauty but also lots of city!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Everybody else has been nice and diplomatic. But I won't. California is RAPIDLY turning into a third-world hellhole. Yes, there are good spots, still, but mostly those are for very rich people. Drug lords have Marajuana plantations in the state's national parks....and this is only one of endless horrors in that state, today. Middle-class whites are fleeing in droves. Conditions in farming country are turning nightmarish...fast.

California was recently listed as America's Least Educated State. Usually, honors like that are reserved for Mississippi. And Steve Sailer's list of average IQ by state has California only two places above Mississippi. Only a few decades back, Californians were among the most educated/most intelligent Americans. And things are getting worse quickly.

College campuses across the nation are no longer the safe-havens for well-behaved, intelligent young people they traditionally have been. There are frequent attacks, now, upon students which are downplayed and basically ignored (particularly, if the perps are athletes and/or the victims are white). Find out what the campus is like. If it is radicalized, you might wish to stay in Mississippi, and go to a sure thing, like Southern.

I take it that since you are mentioning only one place, you have been asked to live with a relative? If so, is the neighborhood good, and likely to stay good, for the next four years? How will you get to and from campus? Secure parking to on-campus parking?

We had long planned to move to California ourselves. We'd networked in Malibu, and have friends there. But things just got too scary. I think the third tale of someone's watching the person under the next beach umbrella have his head shot off did the trick. The Malibu Colony beach is safe, of course: but I'd still have to drive to my offices.... So no Pepperdine for the kids, and no Malibu for the family. The kids decided to start their degree programs in still-safe Portland....and here we are. What a relief to no longer have people condescend to me because I talk about things they are too ignorant to know are things.

And frankly, if you do not have that problem....if you are on the same wavelength with the people around you, and were, like most Mississippians, born enmeshed within a network of friends and family (I didn't have that. When I was a toddler, the able-bodied adults in the family sensed they were too big for our little town, and left me behind, to tend the unfit and the elderly.), then you should probably stay. If you are a legacy for Chi Omega, or even Kappa Delta, and know people, then why give that up? If, of course, you can be plugged-into Sacramento's glittering UBER social scene, and will have access to the centimillionaire farmer aristocracy there, then heck yeah! But if you're going as some nobody, to live in Grandma's 1965 split-level Tudor Ranch, in a mixed-and-getting-dicey neighborhood...then only some fabulous and unique degree program (I know kids who are at Tulane ONLY because of Admiralty Law)....or a full scholarship for a really desirable major...should persuade you to leave the ease and (relative) safety of Mississippi.

Yes, California is still a much happier place than miserable Mississippi. The climate and topography are enough to make a huge difference. But look up LA RAZA, and read the statements of some of the leaders. Then read a few of Joe Guzzardi's articles. Be aware that that is the direction in which California is headed. Maybe that's good (I look Mexican when I don't look Chinese. I'll do just fine.). Maybe that's bad. But that's the future.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Everybody else has been nice and diplomatic. But I won't. California is RAPIDLY turning into a third-world hellhole. Yes, there are good spots, still, but mostly those are for very rich people. Drug lords have Marajuana plantations in the state's national parks....and this is only one of endless horrors in that state, today. Middle-class whites are fleeing in droves. Conditions in farming country are turning nightmarish...fast.

California was recently listed as America's Least Educated State. Usually, honors like that are reserved for Mississippi. And Steve Sailer's list of average IQ by state has California only two places above Mississippi. Only a few decades back, Californians were among the most educated/most intelligent Americans. And things are getting worse quickly.

College campuses across the nation are no longer the safe-havens for well-behaved, intelligent young people they traditionally have been. There are frequent attacks, now, upon students which are downplayed and basically ignored (particularly, if the perps are athletes and/or the victims are white). Find out what the campus is like. If it is radicalized, you might wish to stay in Mississippi, and go to a sure thing, like Southern.

I take it that since you are mentioning only one place, you have been asked to live with a relative? If so, is the neighborhood good, and likely to stay good, for the next four years? How will you get to and from campus? Secure parking to on-campus parking?

We had long planned to move to California ourselves. We'd networked in Malibu, and have friends there. But things just got too scary. I think the third tale of someone's watching the person under the next beach umbrella have his head shot off did the trick. The Malibu Colony beach is safe, of course: but I'd still have to drive to my offices.... So no Pepperdine for the kids, and no Malibu for the family. The kids decided to start their degree programs in still-safe Portland....and here we are. What a relief to no longer have people condescend to me because I talk about things they are too ignorant to know are things.

And frankly, if you do not have that problem....if you are on the same wavelength with the people around you, and were, like most Mississippians, born enmeshed within a network of friends and family (I didn't have that. When I was a toddler, the able-bodied adults in the family sensed they were too big for our little town, and left me behind, to tend the unfit and the elderly.), then you should probably stay. If you are a legacy for Chi Omega, or even Kappa Delta, and know people, then why give that up? If, of course, you can be plugged-into Sacramento's glittering UBER social scene, and will have access to the centimillionaire farmer aristocracy there, then heck yeah! But if you're going as some nobody, to live in Grandma's 1965 split-level Tudor Ranch, in a mixed-and-getting-dicey neighborhood...then only some fabulous and unique degree program (I know kids who are at Tulane ONLY because of Admiralty Law)....or a full scholarship for a really desirable major...should persuade you to leave the ease and (relative) safety of Mississippi.

Yes, California is still a much happier place than miserable Mississippi. The climate and topography are enough to make a huge difference. But look up LA RAZA, and read the statements of some of the leaders. Then read a few of Joe Guzzardi's articles. Be aware that that is the direction in which California is headed. Maybe that's good (I look Mexican when I don't look Chinese. I'll do just fine.). Maybe that's bad. But that's the future.
Soooo...you DON'T and HAVE NEVER lived in California?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I don't know how I made it to my 55th year in the State she's describing.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
yeah, that description sounds more like something out of "The Turner Diaries" than anything like reality.

And that "least-educated state" stuff is pretty much nonsense too:
California: The
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento