Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:32 AM
xmp xmp started this thread

30 posts, read 76,228 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Here I come with a dilemma that I am facing for the last couple of days, especially with CA's budget woes. Hopefully, someone who knows more than me can guide me on what should I do.

I have a job offer from state of California, with position located in Sacramento, for an entry level scientist position with salary of ~65k. Based on my education and experience, there are chances for promotion to the next levels, I have already cleared the exam for those two levels. Despite the budget crisis, I am still seeing many openings for these positions. Being a scientist level position, I am thinking (or rather want to believe) that it might be a little secure job as it will not be very easy for someone else to come in and do the job. However, I could be wrong.

I am taking a salary cut if I were to accept this CA position. However, I am inclined to take this cut, as at this point in my life I want to settle down with a stable job and not worry about getting laid off, especially with the economy as it is.

I know that with CA budget woes, it does not look like a good decision for job stability, but this position is in a special funded project. It is a special funded project in the sense that it does not get any money from general fund, and as such they are less dependent on state money. Also, the department doesn't anticipate any budget cuts as they are not dependent on State money for their budget, but still in the budget for 2010-11, if it comes to laying people off, I dont know what will happen to me.

My spouse has also received a job as scientist level in Sacramento itself with state of CA.

I am hoping that there are several people working for the state or who have better experience and can advice me that will make my decision easier. Basically, right now I am asking if I should make this move or not?

Housing seems to be very reasonable right now, and we should be able to buy a decent house, our own first home.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
[LEFT]

Disclaimer:

I had posted a similar thread about 6 months ago, got some good feedback at that time, but now either I have to join or let go this opportunity and my spouse has also landed a job with the state (scientist level too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I think you'd be safe. Better to get in now before there are major changes to retirement provisions than later when you'll have to work longer and receive less.

You can't beat the benefits, even if the rates do go up somewhat.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think you'd be safe. Better to get in now before there are major changes to retirement provisions than later when you'll have to work longer and receive less.

You can't beat the benefits, even if the rates do go up somewhat.
I agree, especially if both have been offered jobs.

Nita

Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the positive comments, Curmudgeon and Nita.

Anything else I need to know?

Please feel free to chime in...

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmp View Post
Thanks for the positive comments, Curmudgeon and Nita.

Anything else I need to know?

Please feel free to chime in...

Thanks.
well for one thing, Sac is a very nice place to live and you will find about any type of demographics you want somewhere in or around the city. For a city its size it is very culturally diverse.

You will have access to lots of outdoor life from boating to fishing, biking and the mountains are only a few hours away. The weather, though hot and yes, humid in the summer basically is mild with a little bit of seasonal changes.

Nita

Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
As much as I complain about over paid government workers, you would be wise to take the job. Just don't take it personally when I attack your bloated overpaid salary and pension. Good luck in your new position.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks once again.

Bulldogdad: Thanks for your comments, but I think it is a misconception that every state worker is overpaid (salary and pension). I dont know for others, but for scientists, the salaries are just in the mid-range (esp. for people with Ph.D's) if not on the lower end. The only think that attracts me towards the state is job stability (hope thats the case), I guess thats true for others too. That is why I am taking a pay-cut. But, I dont feel bad when you criticize state workers, I guess they need to present their case much better to show the people that not everyone is making a killing. It is only a few people (at the top) who are giving a bad name to everyone.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:45 PM

33 posts, read 90,180 times
My wife's position at Caltrans is funded 100% through federal highway funds, not Ca. state taxpayers, and she was still forced to take the 3 friday furloughs each month. They don't seem to distinguish. Of course she was getting used to having Fridays off and is kind of grumbley about returning to Friday work, but too bad we need the money. I agree you should take the position before they mess with the retirement benefits which is about the only good thing about working for this state. We are not looking forward to having her go on minimum wage, hopefully Controller Chang can keep that from happening. That would be very destructive for a lot of state employees and their families that live from paycheck to paycheck. Thankfully we keep a few months worth of savings for just such an occurrence.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM

88 posts, read 328,195 times
" The weather, though hot and yes, humid in the summer basically is mild with a little bit of seasonal changes." Nita

Not sure if I am misinterpreting the above statement , but Sacramento is hot and dry (not humid) in the summer. Generally as the temp goes up the dewpoint/humidity levels go down...I grew up on the east coast and I know humidity!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM

The place I come from (I am an immigrant (legal)), is very hot and humid for 5-6 months, so that should not be a problem.

For now, we are going to live in Folsom, heard that they have great school district. When we decide to buy our own home, I am thinking Folsom, Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, and Roseville. Am I on the right track (requirements being great schools, safe area, nice affordable home with newer construction). Anything else that I should know and look for when we move to Folsom for now.

Thanks once again, and keep the comments coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento