Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 24,924 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of the posts comparing Roseville to Rocklin to Lincoln to Auburn to Folsom and Placerville, with New Castle and Loomis thrown in for good measure. However, most people are moving with children and are interested in schools. My husband and I are are retired, want lack of congestion, handy shopping, local entertainment, and reasonably priced single-story housing without a lot of property to maintain. A means to meet other retirees would be nice. Oh also, we don't want to be surprised with gigantic utility bills or prohibitive property taxes. Are we looking for nirvana, or what? It's "Fixed Income" time. We also, are quite liberal in our politics and we don't commute. Is there anyone out there who can help with some suggestions of good places to live? I don't hear much about Sac proper. Any parts of town worth a look-see? Or is the weather too hot and the smog/fog too thick? In reading the other posts I'm thinking Lincoln or Auburn - maybe Placerville. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
There are a few 55+ communities in the area, and they have single story homes with a lot of social opportunities.

The largest that I'm aware of is in Lincoln, about 30 miles north east of downtown Sacramento:

Sun City Lincoln Hills Community Association

Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Thank You "NewToCA". I am aware of the one in Lincoln; also, one in Roseville. I believe they are the big Sun Cities. I've seen that HOA fees tend to add $150-200 a month to expenses in these places. Also, I am worried about the smog/fog of Sac. Is Lincoln high enough to be out of that? Can you describe the character of the community? How about it's politics? Thanks for answering.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Oh and one more thing. We're retired but not old. We are active and need no "assistance" as yet. We just want a house in the $250-350K range on a single level and an ability to make some friends. I suppose a senior center would fill that bill. How would you compare Lincoln with Auburn or Placerville? Or Roseville for that matter? I've a daughter in Rocklin and that area seems wonderful for younger families.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Lincoln is a very large area that experienced rapid growth beginning about 12 years ago, and now has some housing difficulties (quite a few vacancies and foreclosures). Sun City is doing much better though, older buyers tend to have larger down payments and weren't interested in flipping homes as investments. Since I don't live there myself (though eligible), I can't comment on air quality or politics, though my experience is that it would likely have quite a few conservatives or moderates (like many Placer County or El Dorado County communities).

Regarding assistance, they have a lot of folks in their early retirement years. Any senior area will generally split into two groups, those more recently retired and those who are "oldsters". It isn't unique to Sun City, I know a lot of 55+ condos outside of California and this happens every single time. It just comes with the territory, if you choose to live in that type of community.

Making friends with younger families generally can be a bit of a challenge, they tend to want to associate with folks closer to their own age and who also have kids. Those without kids, who are younger, don't tend to want to hang out with folks 20+ years older than them, they kind of feel like they are doing things with their parents. Of course there are always exceptions, but these are the trends I've noticed.

HOA fees are pretty common in a lot of the nicer newer developments, not just limited to senior type of communities. Many have monthly fees in the $70-$150 range, depending on what is offered.

As far as areas go, Placerville and Auburn are more isolated smaller towns that are a bit outside of the core metro Sacramento environment. Lincoln and Rocklin are just basically further out parts of the integrated Sacramento metro area.

Smog and fog aren't a big deal, but the summer air quality may be of concern if you have respiratory problems. Sacramento air from June through September can be a bit "chewy".

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-23-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Oh yum. I lived in Pasadena for a number of years and remember chewy air. Does that chewy air extend to Lincoln? I know what you mean about a mixture of age groups in a neighborhood so that is a plus for sticking with a 55+ area. The HOA fees you mention would probably be tolerable; especially for the benefits of a HOA. I worry when they get to $200 tho.

I've looked up the Lincoln Hills website and the average price per sq. ft right now is $200. If prices have fallen, it isn't showing but then I suppose you have to go there and look and see if there are deals to be made.

Thanks for you help. I guess we need to make a trip down. Waiting for a house to sell here.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 PM

467 posts, read 778,128 times
My Grandfather lives out in Del Webb, I think it's a fantastic community. You'll pay the HOA fees, but some of the amenities make it worth it. I don't think you'll be totally out of the smog on the really bad days, but you should be good for the vast majority of them. All the neighborhoods I've seen out there are super clean and very quiet with social activities just a short walk from any neighborhood.

I think you'd find the living better in Auburn or Placerville if you had little interest in ultra-convenient socializing. Socializing in Del Webb is within walking distance, not quite so in the foothills.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the insight. Ultra-convenient socializing can have drawbacks. We lived in Saddlebrooke in Tucson for 2 years and there was almost too much pressure to join in the neighborhood "happy hour". To be honest, I think I'm in a situation where my husband would like Lincoln Hills (Del Webb) best and I'd be happier in Auburn. Oh well, flip a coin. I really like hearing from people with opinions on this because it's hard to get a feel for it from here. For instance, is there good shopping in Lincoln or does it require a trip to Roseville? How does Lincoln Hills compare with the Sun City in Roseville?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 PM

467 posts, read 778,128 times
I'm not much of a shopper unless I'm near a Cycle Gear, so don't put too much stock in my post! To put myself in the wife's shoes, I'd guess that the shopping in Lincoln is just okay compared to Roseville, so you'd probably want to go to Roseville. I can't give you any first hand experience on Sun City in Roseville, though I've heard it really nice and everyone I've talked to who lives in Roseville likes it (younger and older). Most folks don't really care for old Lincoln and I don't really blame them, but you would probably rarely see it if you lived in Del Webb. If you're okay with Sun City, that may work better for the both of you.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM

I think Lincoln Hills and Sun City, Roseville, are both Del Webb developments. So I think you are suggesting Roseville might be a better choice; shopping-wise and other-wise? I suppose, since Roseville is a larger town, it might also, have more going on (besides retiree-activities). It sounds like Lincoln is mainly about the retirees and outside of that, there isn't much happening. Am I getting the drift?

Yes, my husband is older - 75 (still very active) and I am 66. So I like to go and do and may even want a part-time job. He likes to play bridge and play more bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento