U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,095,574 times
Default 55 Degrees - SacraMENTO Summer Nights

It's 3:45 a.m. I stepped outside, and its only 55 degrees. I love these cool-downs we have every night!

Regarding Humidity and daytime temps: I believe Sacramento has just about the right level of humidity. 15-30% when you reach the upper 90's on up.

Too dry - 5%-25% - Vegas, Phoenix, southwest: the dry sucks the moisture right out of you. Lips dry up fast.

Uncomfortable - anything over 60% - most of the U.S.

Very uncomfortable - anything over 75% - midwest, south

Sauna, hellish - 90% - Florida, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,697,907 times
I from Sauna land. Love the cool nights and relatively dry days here. Nothing like the whole house fan to get the house nice and chilly in the morning to delay A/C until late afternoon. Really, we are a bit scroogy, but I've only run the A/C about 10 days this summer. Downstairs stays cool and only upstairs to sleep and that's the whole house fan time. :-)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM

272 posts, read 184,389 times
I can't bear warm summer nights. Last night it was 38f where I live.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM

3,177 posts, read 10,000,715 times
I love both warm and cold. They have their places. For the last few cool nights I have been sleeping with my space heater pointing at me though. I love having windows open but under 60 is chilly for me to sleep

Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 PM

89 posts, read 157,461 times
"For the last few cool nights I have been sleeping with my space heater pointing at me though. I love having windows open but under 60 is chilly for me to sleep"
Space heater? Wow. I know the nights lately have been running cooler than normal , but to me it's been perfect for this time of year! I would call it quite refreshing. In fact it's still a bit too warm when I go to sleep (I have a fan pointing at me) and it doesn't start cooling down nicely until the early AM hours. I love the fact that it can be 95 or even 100 in the day and still get down to the 50's to low 60's overnight at times here in summer.

Last edited by misc916; 08-30-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM

3,177 posts, read 10,000,715 times
OH you'd have to see the crazy positions I sleep in - and I have to have my feet out with the blanket (no comfortor) wrapped around my waist. I'm a bit crazy.

So I get cold. thus the space heater pointing at only me. Although sometimes I do turn it off in the middle of the night

Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM

7,390 posts, read 14,164,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's 3:45 a.m. I stepped outside, and its only 55 degrees. I love these cool-downs we have every night!

Regarding Humidity and daytime temps: I believe Sacramento has just about the right level of humidity. 15-30% when you reach the upper 90's on up.

Too dry - 5%-25% - Vegas, Phoenix, southwest: the dry sucks the moisture right out of you. Lips dry up fast.

Uncomfortable - anything over 60% - most of the U.S.

Very uncomfortable - anything over 75% - midwest, south

Sauna, hellish - 90% - Florida, Texas
Humidity has little to do with it, well, for the most part. It's the dew point that matters. Humidity in 70s with a low dew point can still be quite comfortable. In fact, it can feel cooler than it actually is. The dew point is the point at which the moisture in the air begins to condense. In order for that to happen, the dew point needs to be close to the actual air temperature. That is why, say in the Midwest, the actual air temp can be 75˚F, 70% relative humidity, and a dew point of 69˚F and feel down right horrid....even though it is only 75˚F outside, but be relatively comfortable if the dew point was only in the 40s.

The air in Sacramento tends to be drier in the summer, which is why there are only a few muggy days and why the temp at night drops considerably. However, there is more moisture in the air during the winter, which is why it rains a lot, is cloudy, and foggy-all of which are related to the dew point and relative humidity.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM

436 posts, read 525,530 times
Not sure I agree. In the Midwest, nobody ever complains about a 75 degree day.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM

7,390 posts, read 14,164,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Not sure I agree. In the Midwest, nobody ever complains about a 75 degree day.
I spent a year in Kansas and ten in Minnesota. I know what a kind of day the situation I presented feels like. Not as bad as the South, but definitely horrible. Not one friend from Sacto, nor my mom, was willing to visit me in the summer because of it.

The point is, such a high dew point can make a nice day feel like a sauna. You can't even escape it by going indoors or in the shade. The only way to avoid it is to find AC.

Some complain, some don't, and those who have AC at home, have AC in their car, and have AC at work, tend to complain the least. Otherwise, the Midwest would have some of the best summer weather in the country.

But, why would they complain? They only have a short window to enjoy swimming, boating, BBQing, and other activities that do not require a parka.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:47 PM

18,966 posts, read 15,748,503 times
The thing I do miss about Sacramento is the cool nights during the summer, with or without delta breezes. Here, our nights are warmer at that's not as pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento