U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM

24,127 posts, read 24,899,290 times
Default Considering a move to Sacramento...

As much as I love San Francisco, where I've lived for more than half of my life, I think it might be time to relocate. I lost my full-time job over a year ago, and have since been scraping by with part-time work & unemployment. I have a Master's degree and 5 years of experience in my field (librarianship), but jobs are few and far between right now. Since I will be receiving unemployment for another 8-10 months, I figure now would be a good time to move... somewhere within CA to keep my benefits, but cheaper than SF, so I can focus on my job search without struggling to pay rent.

I went to college in Stockton (UOP), so I'm pretty familiar with the heat and scenery of the central valley - but know little about Sacramento itself. I've been there a million times, just not for long enough to learn the neighborhoods and so forth. I'm thinking downtown/midtown would be cool, but would love some input from the locals. Here's what I'd consider ideal:

- Restaurants & basic amenities within walking distance.
- Liberal, diverse, & open-minded neighbors.
- Dog-friendly parks and/or hiking areas nearby.
- Synagogue or Jewish Community Center within driving distance; I'm not super religious, but do attend services occasionally.
- A little crime or "grittiness" is fine, since I've lived in the worst parts of SF/Bay Area... but I don't want to dodge bullets daily.
- Rents under $1000 for a townhouse/duplex or small house... small apartment not possible with my dog & 3 cats.
- Good pet shops nearby, especially those that specialize in exotics; my hobby (and side-job) is breeding & raising exotic snakes.
- Community orchestra to join, since I also play classical viola.

Any ideas?? And am I leaving anything out, in terms of what I'm looking for?? Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:43 PM

P.S. I wouldn't mind moving again, if I ended up finding a job somewhere else... just need somewhere to "hang my hat" in the meantime, where rents aren't $2000/mo like they are here. I'm a single mid-30s woman with no children, so I'm not tied down by anything/anyone.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:23 AM

13,287 posts, read 14,538,814 times
Midtown is the obvious answer for you, and I believe that you may find places of worship to the east of that area, within 5 miles or so.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 6,893,732 times
The rent part will be a bit of a stretch, but I'd say look for something in Midtown, more likely in the eastern half of the central city "grid." Curtis Park or East Sacramento are other possibilities. The job market here is equally rough--local employment has been traditionally based on the construction industry (not much being built right now) and state government (currently under a "soft" hiring freeze and furloughs.) If the state starts hiring again, there are opportunities for a librarian.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Midtown is the obvious answer for you, and I believe that you may find places of worship to the east of that area, within 5 miles or so.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but wondered if I was missing another "perfect" neighborhood... seeing as I know so little about Sac.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The rent part will be a bit of a stretch, but I'd say look for something in Midtown, more likely in the eastern half of the central city "grid." Curtis Park or East Sacramento are other possibilities. The job market here is equally rough--local employment has been traditionally based on the construction industry (not much being built right now) and state government (currently under a "soft" hiring freeze and furloughs.) If the state starts hiring again, there are opportunities for a librarian.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I know the general job market is slow everywhere, but like you said, the state offices are always a possibility - the State Library is accepting applications now, but I'm not sure how many current openings they have. Worst case, I can apply for the emergency credential and find a public school job (they're always looking)... I passed the CBEST years ago, but need to find out if that's still valid.

Unread 09-07-2010, 12:44 AM

Btw, if anyone has different cities/towns to suggest, I'm open to all ideas... might be a better question for the general CA forum, but thought I'd throw that in.

Unread 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM

389 posts, read 484,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, if anyone has different cities/towns to suggest, I'm open to all ideas... might be a better question for the general CA forum, but thought I'd throw that in.
Sorry to be out of the box but i do think you might fit well with Portland, Oregon.

Unread 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Sorry to be out of the box but i do think you might fit well with Portland, Oregon.
Funny you mention that... I lived in Eugene for a few years, and absolutely LOVED it! I would move to Portland in a heartbeat, but being out-of-state I'd have to find a job first (since my UI benefits would end if I left CA). I've been looking at Oregon job listings forever, but unfortunately haven't seen anything appropriate yet.

Seriously, does Multnomah County ever hire librarians??? They must have a lot of old ladies, with their butts firmly planted at those reference desks - LOL.

Unread 09-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Bah humbug. Just checked Multnomah's site again, and they actually have a library opening... but it's for central library director, which requires 2+ more years of experience than what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento