U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM

8,373 posts, read 6,752,310 times

Advertisements

I learn something new everyday!

SACRAMENTO:

SAVANNAH:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,261,298 times
We got married on the Delta King, on the left you can see the paddle. Nice hotel, too.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Why is there a DELTA KING in Sacramento? That's no where near the Mighty Mississippi or the plantation / cotton / riverboat culture of the SOUTH. It just seems REALY REALL REALLY out of character. LOL

Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,261,298 times
California has a huge Delta area between Sacramento and San Francisco.

Check out a map!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM

288 posts, read 532,509 times
California Delta. (http://tinyurl.com/33xplyk - broken link)

Town I was born and raised in, in the Delta/.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM

7,612 posts, read 8,535,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why is there a DELTA KING in Sacramento? That's no where near the Mighty Mississippi or the plantation / cotton / riverboat culture of the SOUTH. It just seems REALY REALL REALLY out of character. LOL
The Delta King and Delta Queen were both built to operate on the Sacramento River, between Sacramento and San Francisco, a route that takes them through the Sacramento River Delta. Riverboats started operating on the Sacramento by 1849, in the early days of the Gold Rush. Many riverboats operated on the Sacramento over the years, but the King and Queen are best remembered as they are the last pair of riverboats to make the run. They retired in 1940. After serving as Navy transports in San Francisco Bay, the Queen was moved through the Panama Canal to operate on the Mississippi, and the King spent a decade on dry land in Canada, serving as a bunkhouse. The King also lost its boiler and paddlewheel there. It was stolen once and sunk twice, and has been permanently moored at Old Sacramento for over 20 years, where it serves as a floating hotel, restaurant, bar, theater and special events space.

The Sacramento River delta culture is very different from the Mississippi River delta culture, other than perhaps the slow pace and the flat, flood-prone terrain. After the Gold Rush slowed down, people noticed that Delta soil was incredibly fertile, and after the less flood-prone parts of the Valley were spoken for, farms cropped up in the Delta. Levees were created in the Delta, largely due to the labor of the same Chinese workers who built the Transcontinental Railroad. Many Chinese settled to become tenant farmers. Each small Delta town had its own Chinatown, small compared to the big ones in San Francisco, Sacramento and Stockton, and the little town of Locke was exclusively Chinese. Portuguese, Italian and Japanese immigrants also worked the land. Steam and electric railroads poked south from Sacramento and north from the East Bay, competing with the riverboat traffic for freight and passengers, but most of the towns were very oriented towards the river--albeit behind a stout levee that kept water out most of the time.

Hollywood definitely saw the similarities between our Delta and the one farther east--in the 1920s, the little-known genre of "steamboat movies" was in fashion, and Sacramento became a favorite shooting spot for such films. We had riverboats and a river, but were much closer to Hollywood than the Mississippi River. More recently, the James Woods/Lou Gossett Jr./Heather Graham feature Diggstown, set in the deep South, was shot in the Delta town of Clarksburg, and a recent episode of HBO's Big Love was shot on board the Delta King, dolled up temporarily to masquerade as a Mississippi River gambling barge.

Here's a booklet with some stories of riverboats on the Sacramento during the Gold Rush:

http://www.sachistoricalsociety.org/...o1_Spr1980.pdf

And a story of a murder on Grand Island, a Delta island between the Sacramento River and "Steamboat Slough":
http://www.sachistoricalsociety.org/...Island_red.pdf

Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM

^^^ Well, who knew! Everybody but me, I suppose. Thanks for the history lesson. But you got to admit, California isn't exactly known for it's navigable "rivers." At least not to the rest of the country. California is an amazing state; too bad all the world sees of it is Hollywood.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM

7,612 posts, read 8,535,570 times
If it wasn't for the river, Sacramento wouldn't even be here, so it is a natural focus, although like a lot of cities we don't pay much attention to river travel, and haven't for a long time. We have tourist trains that run on both sides of the Sacramento, and hotels and restaurants overlooking it.

Yes, most of what the world sees when they think of California is Hollywood. But sometimes, when Hollywood shows the Mississippi, what people see is actually Sacramento!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 PM

10,160 posts, read 14,974,315 times
The Delta King is great! It's a hotel now -- I stayed there a couple of years ago for something like $100 a night (maybe even less!). You can't beat the location, and it was wonderful to wake up within walking distance of downtown Sacramento (I was there on business) and be able to sit on the deck and watch the birds on the river. And the California delta culture is really fascinating; I've only had the chance to spend a little time there, but sometime I'll go back and do it more justice. Some interesting CA Delta details: California Delta Chambers and Visitor's Bureau - A Guide to the California Delta Waterways I agree that much of California's diverse landscape and history gets overlooked.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 AM

235 posts, read 73,842 times
Just the words "California Delta" sound so strange to me, because I'm so used to hearing/knowing about the Mississippi Delta. Delta Air Lines was founded in Monroe, LA, and got its name from that region. So I doubt I'm the only one unfamiliar with the one in Californa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento