U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
669 posts, read 652,576 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
There's a saying around here that Sacramento is two hours from anything interesting. You can hike your tail off in the hills near Roseville and Tahoe is about 90 minutes away.
If you have a solid job offer here I'd say take it!
I don't ski, and I was shocked the first time I went over to South Tahoe. Tahoe is overrun with development, and there's algae in the lake. I personally find Tahoe WAY overhyped. You might as well be at Lake of the Ozarks... its the same except with lower humidity and ski resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
 
40 posts, read 72,713 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I don't ski, and I was shocked the first time I went over to South Tahoe. Tahoe is overrun with development, and there's algae in the lake. I personally find Tahoe WAY overhyped. You might as well be at Lake of the Ozarks... its the same except with lower humidity and ski resorts.

I know it's your personal opinion, but that is mind-bottling to me....yes, I said mind-bottling. Go to Incline or Tahoe City, away from the tourist trap of South Shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
669 posts, read 652,576 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Hornet View Post
I know it's your personal opinion, but that is mind-bottling to me....yes, I said mind-bottling. Go to Incline or Tahoe City, away from the tourist trap of South Shore.
I've driven all the way around the lake, and I was horribly disappointed on how overdeveloped the entire area is. Its too late, but we should buy EVERYTHING within a 5 mile radius of the lakeshore, tear it down, and return it to pristine wilderness. Its basically just a playground for the rich rich and the tacky now, as I see it. Too much development and too much overdevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
669 posts, read 652,576 times
Reputation: 298
Be interesting to find out if the OP has made a decision yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
45,958 posts, read 34,682,679 times
Reputation: 18687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl326 View Post
My husband and I have the opportunity to either move to Sacramento or Knoxville. We live in Kansas (aka the land of the flat and cheap), but are looking for a place to live with access to outdoors (hiking, trail running, biking, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, snowboarding). We are in our late 20's, no kids yet, in good shape, and love to be active. We've done the whole pro's and con's thing, but it's not the same as talking to someone who has lived there. A few things could help us decide about Sacramento (specifically my job is in Roseville, my husband would need to get a job)..

1-Hking-We went to Yosemite when we were there, but is there closer "good" hiking? Also are there close places to trail run?

2-Really how bad is the traffic?

3-Cost of living-Housing is obviously way more expensive, as is gas, and taxes. Are there other things which are cheaper to offset this? We're really worried about sacrificing our financial situation.

Need to make the decision this weekend so I appreciate any guidance!!!!
Both have their pros and cons. A lot depends on what hubby will do for al living and you as well, if you are going to work. Another condideration is your overall views of live, politically, religious, life style, and housing budget for starters.

Sacramento is my favorite part of Calif and I was born and raised in Ca, but TN is beautiful, have no state income tax and has a much lower cost of living. If salary is similar I think I would opt for Knoxville, but that doesn't mean Sac wouldn't be a good choice. I am sure you have asked this question on the TN thread as well. If you haven't you need to.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
45,958 posts, read 34,682,679 times
Reputation: 18687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl326 View Post
Yes, Knoxville being cheaper to live in is a big draw. Do you know how close outdoors activities, like hiking, are to Sacramento? And is traffic pretty bad to go to places like Tahoe?
Traffic in Tahoe is bad certain times of the year. Other times it is not. Both areas will offer great outdoor activities. Knoxville is so close to DC and other wonderful cities on the Atlantic with so much history. Sac is close to the beautiful Lake Tahoe, though the city of Sac is not particularly pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
 
735 posts, read 403,652 times
Reputation: 344
Go to Fayetteville, Arkansas. It has everything Knoxville has as far as being a college town, outdoor activities, bicycling, hiking, etc. Fayetteville is at the foot of the Boston Mountains in the Ozarks. Also it is within 100 miles of SE Kansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl326 View Post
My husband and I have the opportunity to either move to Sacramento or Knoxville. We live in Kansas (aka the land of the flat and cheap), but are looking for a place to live with access to outdoors (hiking, trail running, biking, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, snowboarding). We are in our late 20's, no kids yet, in good shape, and love to be active. We've done the whole pro's and con's thing, but it's not the same as talking to someone who has lived there. A few things could help us decide about Sacramento (specifically my job is in Roseville, my husband would need to get a job)..

1-Hking-We went to Yosemite when we were there, but is there closer "good" hiking? Also are there close places to trail run?

2-Really how bad is the traffic?

3-Cost of living-Housing is obviously way more expensive, as is gas, and taxes. Are there other things which are cheaper to offset this? We're really worried about sacrificing our financial situation.

Need to make the decision this weekend so I appreciate any guidance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
 
536 posts, read 602,185 times
Reputation: 223
This could possibly be the time of your life to invest in CA property. On the other hand, our state certainly has its share of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top