Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 AM

40 posts, read 302,434 times

Advertisements

Foresthill and all of the surrounding towns....

....like Baker Ranch, Michigan Bluff, Todd Valley, Yankee Jims, Volcanoville, etc....

What is the best of these places to live?

* If you live in any of these areas, what are the pros and cons of each?

* What kind of a drive is it from any of these places to Auburn (for the hospital because I am a nurse), especially in the winter?

* Do these cities/towns ever get snow, and how much? (I love the snow!)

* How hot does it get in the summer? (As bad as Sac?)

* What schools do you recommend? Do you know of any Montessori (or charter) elementary schools in the area? Do you know of any charter high schools in this area? What do you know of other high schools in the area?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 38,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleNurseMom View Post
Foresthill and all of the surrounding towns....

....like Baker Ranch, Michigan Bluff, Todd Valley, Yankee Jims, Volcanoville, etc....

What is the best of these places to live?

* If you live in any of these areas, what are the pros and cons of each?
- I grew up in Foresthill and our house was in Todd Valley. It was a nice residental area with Trees and really safe for kids. We were pretty much out in the forest playing all day. It depends on what you are looking for, Todd Valley is pretty much 1 acre developed lots, and you can usually get more acrage in other areas.

Quote:
* What kind of a drive is it from any of these places to Auburn (for the hospital because I am a nurse), especially in the winter?
Todd Valley is about 20-25 minutes to Auburn, maybe another 10 over to the Hospital. The only time there a big problem is if the road has to close for some reason - accident, fire, occasionally a rock slide, because that's really the one way in and out. (there are dirt roads that go down the canyon but that will take a while and they are usually closed in the winter)

Quote:
* Do these cities/towns ever get snow, and how much? (I love the snow!)
Baker Ranch and Michigan Bluff are further up the road from Foresthill (higher Elevation) and get more snow. I haven't lived there in many years, but we got snow when I was a kid. Usually a couple good storms each winter. My friends who are still there say they don't get nearly as much as they used to.
Also - they are pretty much all just residentals areas. Foresthill really has the only stores and schools, the others are just parts of Foresthill, like neighborhoods really.

Quote:
* How hot does it get in the summer? (As bad as Sac?)
-- it gets warm, but probably not as hot as Sac - maybe high 90's when Sac's 100+

Quote:
* What schools do you recommend? Do you know of any Montessori (or charter) elementary schools in the area? Do you know of any charter high schools in this area? What do you know of other high schools in the area?
- In Foresthill I'm pretty sure there is only 1 elementary school, 1 middle school, and 1 high school. There's a montessori school in Auburn. The elementary & middle school are great. The high school is relatively new and is very small. Honestly, I haven't heard good things about it. Some parents I know are sending their kids to Private Schools in Sac, or Christian Valley, or they have to do an out of district transfer to Bear River (by Lake of the Pines). I don't believe that the school district is allowing them to transfer to Placer in Auburn.

-- If I could talk my husband into it (and if we could afford it) I would move back in a heart beat. It's possibly the best place to raise kids. (at least before they built the high school) There's a great park in town, with a community pool, and little league and softball fields. Every 4th of July there's a big parade and festival. Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,702 times
Wink Best place

I moved to FH nealy 8 years ago.

Both of my kids currently attend the new high school. The school is new...of course it's going to take some time for it to get up to speed. Some of my childrens friends are being forced to attend Placer or other schools by their parents. THOSE kids are now failing in the schools they've been moved to. Mine are still 3.0 and a 4.0. Take that as you will...

Personally, I love this town.Ask away!!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 14,702 times
oh...regarding the above mention of the parade..

can you say TOWN WATER FIGHT?

There is a 'dry' zone of course but it's just the most fun in the world. At the end of the parade, you head over to the park (walk of course! everything is within walking distance here), and eat good food-indian tacos, great german fare, activities for the kids, the museum is open..oh and lets not forget...the States gold panning championship is held here too every year!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,893 times
Default Foresthill Etc.

Foresthill is a very small town about 15 miles S.E. of Auburn, Ca. It sits about 3500 ft. in elevation and is surrounded mostly by Cedars, Pines, Firs, and some Oaks. The town has a very small town feel to it. Everybody does know everybody. There is only a very small town area. There is a small - mid sized grocery store that has just about very thing you would need. But for the big frig stock-up you will probably want to stop in Auburn which has mutliple stores before "heading up the hill". There are a couple of restaurants, a hardware store, a bar or two, Pizza, Subway and few office and industrial areas and the town dentist.
Foresthill has NO traffic! There is not even a stop sign on Foresthill Rd. So the drive up from Auburn is on a very well graded multilane road ( that the racing bike boys love) that just peaders out in town to a smaller two lane Rd. that continues past the town and up to the other tinier towns ( though they really arent towns) like Michigan Bluff etc. These so called towns above Foresthill were once very populated during the gold rush, but now they are more like residentual areas in the woods. No actual town centers. So for those towns, Foreshill is the closest store etc.
With Foresthill being only 15 miles on a nice road before you hit I80, it can be a great commuter town and most people do work out of town. You can be in Roseville, in 30 min and down town Sacramento in 50-60... with no traffic and 1.5 hours with commute traffic times. Truckee is also about 1 hour away which is nice for skiers! The Sierras are right there just an hour up I80 and you are at Tahoe. Don't forget Reno which is just a bit further.
Roseville has every store under the sun, so there is no worry about finding that Potter Barn or Barnes and Noble. Auburn is full of grocery stores, pets stores, longs, target, a Best Buy, Car dealers, small hostipal and a medical office neighborhood, etc. but no mall or large department store area.
This is what makes Foresthill so nice. You can find a nice priced home, live in the woods with your horse or dirt bike and be a Dr. or whatever in Roseville or Sac.
Its the best of both worlds.
Foresthill is the gateway to great dirt biking areas, ( Sugar Pine and China Wall OHV) along with horse back riding ( The Tevis Cup race runs right through the some neighbor hoods, on the Iron Horse Trail), Camping and backpacking because you can take roads right to the doors of Desolation Wilderness and Tahoe and El Dorado National Forest, and hiking and dirt bike riding ( with the Auburn Recrational Area you drive through on FH road to get to town). There is also river rafting on the American River, with outfits hauling the boats through town. Oh and fishing in the lakes and rivers. I think there is actually a dog sled and or snow mobile race up further a bit above town.
There is also a nice new High School Called Foresthill High School that is part of Placer Union High School District, base in Auburn. It is a small school with almost a family autmosphere. There are less than 300 kids, so everyone is involved in all activies, and the staff is very involved also. They have a lighted football field that attracts the whole town on football nights. They also have baseball, softball, soccer, golf, basketball, track and volleyball, for those sporting kids or spectators. There is also a nice junior high and grammar school. There is little league softball, baseball and soccer. The town is small, but they have a really huge nice puplic park. It has a softball and baseball field with stands, along with tennis courts, a somewhat smallish pool, and a huge grass park with a bandstand and brand new kiddie play stuctures, shaded by huge cedars. There is even a historic museum and a lovely all log lodge where the VFW, American leagion and Lion's clubs, etc meet. A couple or few times a year there is always a celebration of some sorts at the park.
Foresthill is a great middle class town to raise your kids. They, like you, can have the best of both worlds. The housing ranges from everything, from trailer parks in the woods, modest homes on large or small lots, 20-60 acre parcells with anytype of home, to those mini mansions that those retired folks like. But everybody like everybody. Everybody needs a truck in the driveway, so no one can tell anyway if you live in a mansion or a trailer unless they know where you actually live. We all look pretty much the same. It is very much a jean and T-shirt town. You don't have to dress up to go to the store. If you are gardening and are full of dirt, who cares! you can still go to the grocery store. We do however have teeth! At least most of use. Just a joke, but we aren't hillbillies, just nature lovers. Not liberal or conservative one way or the other. It' pretty much half and half with people somewhere in between.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,707 times
wow Foresthill sounds like a wonderful place to live. My husband and I want to move there and we wondering if there are any places to rent there. We thought we saw and apartment complex but were not sure. We were also wondering if anyone knows what the population is and dose it snow there a lot (like a foot from one storm). Thanks Kristen

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,554 times
There is an apartment complex in Foresthill- I don't know much about it. The only one I know of is located by the park and recreation area. I do know, though, that there are houses for rent at pretty reasonable prices.
The population of foresthill is a bit under 6000. In town, they recieve about an average of 12in of snow, progressively increasing as you go up the hill. I would estimate a storm like this comes maybe 5 or 6 times a year and usually doesn't last long before it melts.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 54,787 times
Question More info about community in FH?

I was wondering if any locals could give me some insight.
I am moving to a small town with some space between me and my neighbors, because I REALLY like my privacy and feel I have none crammed in so close to everyone else. I want a few acres, a smaller town pace, less people, and less crime.
However, I don't want to trade in my physical privacy for nosy, bored neighbors that pry. Is everyone in your business up there?
What is the general feeling up there? I have heard small towns can have vicious rumor mills and very nosy people, though I have only lived in very large cities and have no first-hand experience of this. My family is non-church-going, and my kids and I are atheists--is this going to make us outcasts? How strong is the religious community there?
I am not looking to join a church group, a mommy group, or any other big social gathering. Making friends through the elementary school or my kids' activities would be nice. They are 1-7 and my husband and I are 30.
I am just concerned for my privacy and reputation. I am a very nice, normal, pretty friendly person, but I don't like people prying into my business or stopping by my house unexpected. I have one or two close friends and I don't often like a lot of people in my home.
Any advice here?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 AM

55 posts, read 96,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4steeds View Post
There is an apartment complex in Foresthill- I don't know much about it. The only one I know of is located by the park and recreation area. I do know, though, that there are houses for rent at pretty reasonable prices.
The population of foresthill is a bit under 6000. In town, they recieve about an average of 12in of snow, progressively increasing as you go up the hill. I would estimate a storm like this comes maybe 5 or 6 times a year and usually doesn't last long before it melts.

where would i look or home rentals. i cant seem to find any. possibly looking at relocating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento