U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:35 AM
 
14 posts, read 14,283 times
Reputation: 10
Default Looking for a fresh start

Hi everyone looking for some good info on Sacramento. My husband and I are military about to separate and move out there for a fresh start after finishing our time in. We have no kids and were in our mid 20's. Just like anyone else were looking for the low crime areas in the nice parts of town. Also, any suggestions on local job searching sites? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 12-25-2010, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Spokane, Wa
614 posts, read 779,670 times
Reputation: 232
i think sacramento is a great choice. i'm returning there myself this spring, was raised there but have lived all over usa and am going to retire there. so don't let people scare you off your choice because of high job loss in california. it's everywhere. there's so many good things about the area, weather is great, people are easy going, crime isn't bad especially depending on where you decide to live in sacto. and reading through these posts here you can get a good idea of what areas are safer then other areas. being a vet (me 2) you should fill out your 171 and apply with gov agencies in the area, vets still get preferences over other applicants. good luck and hope you get good feedback here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM
 
14 posts, read 14,283 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i think sacramento is a great choice. i'm returning there myself this spring, was raised there but have lived all over usa and am going to retire there. so don't let people scare you off your choice because of high job loss in california. it's everywhere. there's so many good things about the area, weather is great, people are easy going, crime isn't bad especially depending on where you decide to live in sacto. and reading through these posts here you can get a good idea of what areas are safer then other areas. being a vet (me 2) you should fill out your 171 and apply with gov agencies in the area, vets still get preferences over other applicants. good luck and hope you get good feedback here.
Thanks red head. I will definitely. look into the agencies in the area to get preference. You are very right is saying job lose is everywhere we can't do anything about that but keep plunging away at any opening we see. I did some research on the 171 and it's now an obsolete form. The government now uses the OF 612 for employment. Thanks for the reassurance and good luck to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-25-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Spokane, Wa
614 posts, read 779,670 times
Reputation: 232
ha ha that sure shows my age.......when i wrote 171 i wondered if they were still using that form......good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM
 
14 posts, read 14,283 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
ha ha that sure shows my age.......when i wrote 171 i wondered if they were still using that form......good luck
They actually stopped using it in 94 per the site i was using. lol No worries though your only as old as you feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
312 posts, read 577,923 times
Reputation: 192
What kind of work do you do? A lot of times networking works best, or there are specialized websites for certain types of work.

Generally, try sacbee.com and monster for jobs. For State of CA jobs, go here:

State Personnel Board (http://www.spb.ca.gov/index.htm?e=1 - broken link)

Many of the federal agencies have a presence in Sacramento, too....so check the federal job hiring site.

As for areas, without kids, mid-town is an area that has some night life, restaurants, and is walkable and bikeable... but schools are not necessarily the best, so I guess it would depend on if you are renting or buying...renting, yes, but if you plan on having kids, Sac City Unified is hit and miss for the elementary schools, so think long-term if you are buying.

Tell us more and perhaps we can help you more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
 
6,861 posts, read 6,910,346 times
Reputation: 2615
One thing about "think long-term"--if you're planning on having kids someday, you don't need to make room for them yet. That means that even if you're thinking of buying, and like the idea of living downtown, you could buy downtown now, and in a few years if you have kids you can always use the equity built up to get a place in the suburbs, if that's what you want.

Assuming, of course, that suburban schools remain in their current position, and central city schools don't change for the better--considering the ongoing influx of young people who like cities into central city areas, in the long term I expect that they will change for the better. But even if they don't, you don't have to move to the suburbs just because you might have kids someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM
 
14 posts, read 14,283 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
What kind of work do you do? A lot of times networking works best, or there are specialized websites for certain types of work.

Generally, try sacbee.com and monster for jobs. For State of CA jobs, go here:

State Personnel Board (http://www.spb.ca.gov/index.htm?e=1 - broken link)

Many of the federal agencies have a presence in Sacramento, too....so check the federal job hiring site.

As for areas, without kids, mid-town is an area that has some night life, restaurants, and is walkable and bikeable... but schools are not necessarily the best, so I guess it would depend on if you are renting or buying...renting, yes, but if you plan on having kids, Sac City Unified is hit and miss for the elementary schools, so think long-term if you are buying.

Tell us more and perhaps we can help you more?
Well I'm 10 year+ dance teacher and my husband is an aircraft maintainer. We don't plan on having kids any time soon. what section is "Mid-town" do you have a zip code for it? We plan on renting at first to get a feel for the areas and then we would like to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Spokane, Wa
614 posts, read 779,670 times
Reputation: 232
zx94girl is you go to rent.com and put in midtown sacramento you'll get the list of rental for that area. of all the site for rentals i think it's the best. you can select specifics on type of place in the search criteria. and ya know not everyone needs to have kids........just think how less stress you'll have to deal with if you live your life without kids. this society just assumes EVERYONE MUST have/want kids. life without kids can be just great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
 
6,861 posts, read 6,910,346 times
Reputation: 2615
zx9rgirl: Midtown is primarily the eastern half of 95814, part of 95811, the western half of 95816, and technically part of the top edge of 95818. If you look at a map of Sacramento's central city, you'll note there is an off-center square between Alhambra, Broadway and the two rivers. The part east of the Capitol, from about 15th to Alhambra, is generally referred to as "midtown." The part to the west is, from top to bottom, Alkali Flat/Mansion Flat, downtown, and Southside Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top