Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,069 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My family will be re-locating to the Sacramento, California area from the East Coast in late June. We will only be able to travel once before permanently moving to CA. Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that are safe, kid friendly and have strong community roots (Good schools would be nice, but we would consider private schools if the school district isn't great.) We will be renting, so a price range of 900-1200 for a 2br with a back yard is what we are looking to spend.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
xmp

30 posts, read 76,228 times
Welcome to CA. WE also moved here last year from East Coast. It is a very nice place.

We live in Folsom (about 25 miles from downtown Sacramento), and love the town. Schools are great, everyone here is very friendly..you will love it.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
May I ask where both of your families came from the east coast?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM

61 posts, read 244,503 times
We moved from the East Coast as well (lived in Westchester, NYC and up near Albany). I would recommend Folsom, Granite Bay, Gold River or Arden Arcade. However, I don't know that you will find a house for $1200 in these areas, and apartments won't have a backyard... we rented a house when we first arrived and we were paying $1700 (but it was a 4/3). Good luck - you'll love the weather (if you like hot summers, that is) and the people (for the most part) are friendlier and not as guarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelis408 View Post
Hello everyone!

My family will be re-locating to the Sacramento, California area from the East Coast in late June. We will only be able to travel once before permanently moving to CA. Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that are safe, kid friendly and have strong community roots (Good schools would be nice, but we would consider private schools if the school district isn't great.) We will be renting, so a price range of 900-1200 for a 2br with a back yard is what we are looking to spend.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM

49 posts, read 135,387 times
I live in El Dorado Hills. Safe, very nice area, good schools. But I am not sure if you cand find a place for to rent 1200. You cand also try Folsom.Good luck.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM

@Mossy: we're moving from Brooklyn.

We're used to living in an apartment that's in a private house. I know that's not as common in CA but we don't want to live in a complex; we prefer a house. If we can, we'd like to pay close to what we pay now, hence the $1200 budget. Also, we saw some decent looking houses for rent on Craigslist but wanted to post here to see if anyone had any experience renting from ads on CL. Also, we've read some good things about Roseville and Elk Grove. What's your take on these communities (anyone) and do you have any suggestions for other communities that might be nice but still reasonable as far as cost of living?

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments! Your feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by Arelis408; 01-20-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I have had good luck buying things off CL, but never tried renting. In this economy, with so many houses under water, I would check with the tax office (you can look up the county recorders office on line) to see if the house you decide to rent is in Preforeclosure. Some scammers out there, though certainly not everyone. Some people will rent you a house that's going through foreclosure. You pay your deposit and rent up front, then you get evicted when the bank forecloses. You are out deposit and pre-paid rent. Not limited to CL for sure. Just do your homework.

Folsom 3BR houses rent for around $1700/mo more or less. EDH is more expensive. You can look up crime stats by location by googling the county sheriffs office and entering the address you are considering. It will show reported crimes within a timeframe you specify.

The northern end of Elk Grove is close to South Sacramento where there is a much higher crime rate. I know people that live farther south in Elk Grove that just love it. You will get a wide variety of opinions here on that, but you'll have to go see for yourself.

Good luck with your hunt.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 74,290 times
Plumas Lake has all of the things you are looking for! Google search for Plumas Lake Forums!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Thank you NinaN and ThatOneDude, I will look into all the information you both have provided me. Perhaps, I will find a lead on a real estate agent and avoid all the headache. Thank you all, this information is very valuable.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,099 times
Hi not sure where you are going to work but if it's Sacramento then you do have a wide selection of suburbs to choose from. The issue is if you are not from this area you may have a hard time deciding where to go. First let's start off on the places to not move to. In general I would stay away from Sacramento and the cities that are ajacent to it because of the higher crime rates, ghetto element, etc. Sacramento does have some good places but they take a wrong turn off a few blocks and you are in crapsville! The city is just spotty with good areas butting up against trashy areas. Also avoid cities like Elk Grove, Citrus Hight, Rancho Cordova as they have turned into arm pits due to the many factors such as the real estate bust. These places have just gone down hil the past several years. The best places to live are areas that are at 30 minutes+ outside of Sacramento such as Folsom, Roseville, Lincoln. The places I highly recommend are Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay, Rocklin and Auburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento