U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,875 times
I left Sacramento myself a couple years ago, am in Yosemite Nt Park now. What a drastic an wonderful change--I never plan on living there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,759 times
We left Sac in '05 with cheap housing in mind, moved to N Carolina. Bought a large home in an upscale suburb with trees, large yards and what I thougt would be friendly southerners for neighbors. The traffic is light, the schools have close to 95% English speaking kids, and housing is real cheap. I realize that everyone has different ideas of the perfect place to retire, raise children or just escape the rat race. What we have encountered is that southern hospitality only exists in movies, non-smokers are the real cause of the world collapse, humidity is never pleasant at any temperature, its ok to drive 45 mph on the freeway, childhood obesity is darn near 60% in my child's school, and we cant open the windows on the few days its not too humid or freezing because of the constant screeching of the cicadas in the trees!! I miss Sac, i miss my genuinely friendly neighbors, the sunshine, the pool being open longer than 8 weeks, opening the windows at night(never a break from the heavy humidity here), real Mexican cuisine, small cars, driving less than 2 hours to a completely different scenery...I guess the grass isn't always greener...

Old 04-06-2009, 03:47 PM

18,301 posts, read 14,442,873 times
A bit over two years ago I posted here that I'd be retiring in three years and leaving Sacramento and California. Instead, I retired at the end of last year and we'll be leaving in a few months to move to Missouri. My wife and I are both native Californians who despair of the overcrowding, the high crime rates, the lack of civility and the loss of the culture that existed not even all that many years ago. Add the ridiculous cost of living, even with the housing downturn, and the miserable excuse of what passes for government here and we will turn our backs on it with few, if any, regrets.

It's really a shame as this used to be a place to be proud of being from. Unfortunately, for us the golden state has lost its luster. For those who still love it, more power to you.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-06-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 20,759 times
I wish you a good life in Missouri, Curmudgeon, and I hope I didn't appear too resentful of the East side! Its probably a good move for retirees as you will not have to commute or hopefully not depend on a job for a living out there. We are a young family and were not too well received in our affluent neighborhood due to our age and more liberal attitudes. I understand you wanting to find less dense population, lower crime and smog. My husband and I have learned about ourselves and realized what we are looking for in life and the golden state still shines for us. Buon destino to you

Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,023,390 times
My wife and I left San Jose for a better life here in the suburbs of Denver to raise the family we were planning 4 years ago. As great as this area is, we still long to be "home". And strangely enough, it's not the weather or the scenery that is drawing us back (though we do miss that too). It's mainly the people - family and close friends. We found that being a young couple on our own is a lot different now that we have a 2-year old daughter. Family and close friends have become so much more important to us. We've made a number of friends here and we've found the Denver community to be very welcoming. But we still miss the people we left behind and the depth of those relationships. It's those relationships that got us talking about moving back to California a few months ago.

We have no urge to move back to the Bay Area. Every time we visit we are reminded of the reasons we left. Even the parts we do like we could never afford - nor would we want to overextend ourselves to try. And though growing up in the Bay Area watching most people look down on Sacramento and all other central valley towns, I think the area might have a good mix of what we've come to like about Denver and what we miss about California - somewhat of a small town feel with many of the conveniences we like. And the Bay Area won't be too far away for a weekend visit for all of our friends and family (and the few things the Sacramento area might lack for us).

I miss consistent weather - be it rain or shine. And though Denver has more sunny days than NorCal, the consistency is lacking. Afternoon thunderstorms are common in the summer here, even if there is not a cloud in the sky at noon. It's almost never overcast or gloomy here, which I love. And a Denver winter can even be more pleasant than NorCal sometimes, with temps in the 60's and 70's like this past winter. But it can also be freezing. Spring out here is more of an extension of winter, where fall is more similar to summer. Fall is easily my favorite season here. I can't say I'm looking forward to the Sacramento heat in July, but I'm sure we'll adapt to it, just as we have the colder winters here.

I also miss the diversity of the cuisine in NorCal. And I'm sure that's due to the cultural diversity of the area, which is something we miss as well. Denver has some great restaurants, but not nearly as many authentic cuisine options as we were used to. Granted, the Sacramento area may not either, but again, we'll be close enough to the Bay Area to enjoy that as well. And I'm sure Sacramento will have just as many of the chain restaurants we're used to here in the suburbs of Denver.

Some of the little things I miss that you don't put much thought into - the summer smell of flowers, plants and fruit trees that seems non-existent in a high plains desert region. An anniversary weekend drive to Napa in the late summer/early fall. Dinner in San Francisco anytime. A summer evening drive around town with the windows down on the weekend without the chance of a thunderstorm. The soothing rain in the winter (something I didn't care for much 5 years ago). An authentic al pastor taco or carnitas burrito - or any Mexican food that isn't smothered in chile verde salsa... I think it's a southwest thing. Real Pho and other asian foods that are not served at a generic Asian Bistro. A trip to the beach every now and then to watch (and listen to) the crashing waves. The sound of seagulls. The ability to wash my car and have it stay clean for more than a few days (due to rain or snow). An abundance of fruit and vegetable stands on the side of the road with ripe offerings from the local growers. The diverse scenery and landscapes located in all directions. All the automotive enthusiast events that only California has - hot rod car shows, world class race track events, drag racing events, etc... though I knew I'd miss that. There are very few places that compare to California when it comes to being a car guy. But most of all, the ability to call up a cousin and meet up with them that weekend.

Life is too short to not live where you want to be. You just have to make it work. That's what we're working towards right now. We're not in a position to move just yet, but hopefully in a year or so we will be. We'll keep taking trips out there in the meantime. One thing I'd suggest is to be honest with yourself when thinking of moving away. Do not just focus on the negatives of the area you're moving from and the positives of the area you'd like to move to. Look at everything and try to be as subjective as you possibly can - it can be extremely difficult. As long as you can do that, you'll have a good chance of being happy with your decision.

I know this post is coming from the opposite camp and is not even specifically about Sacramento, but I figured it would be nice to post about the things I liked about NorCal. And no, the grass isn't always greener, though we feel we did find a great place to live here in Denver. We just happen to be more drawn to California now with the birth of our daughter.

Curmudgeon - hope you find what you're looking for in Missouri.

Last edited by Ludachris; 04-08-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,354,250 times
The marketing campaign to make Sacramento a 'major league city' marks the begining of its decline.
I'm leaving for good this summer and not saying where. I will be watching and if I catch any of you
Cal-xers trying to Cali-fup my new town their will be trouble.

And remember. First impressions are important. Say your from Arizona if your new neighbors ask.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM

18,301 posts, read 14,442,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I know this post is coming from the opposite camp and is not even specifically about Sacramento, but I figured it would be nice to post about the things I liked about NorCal. And no, the grass isn't always greener, though we feel we did find a great place to live here in Denver. We just happen to be more drawn to California now with the birth of our daughter.

Curmudgeon - hope you find what you're looking for in Missouri.
Thanks! There is much to like about NorCal in general and Sacramento in particular; not the least of which are the produce and cuisine. Thankfully, my wife and I, collectively, have lived in over 10 states and in four foreign countries. We know what we're looking for and a big part of that is maximising our retirement funds, especially now.

By the same token, I hope you find precisely what you're looking for and it's reachable.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,023,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks! There is much to like about NorCal in general and Sacramento in particular; not the least of which are the produce and cuisine. Thankfully, my wife and I, collectively, have lived in over 10 states and in four foreign countries. We know what we're looking for and a big part of that is maximising our retirement funds, especially now.

By the same token, I hope you find precisely what you're looking for and it's reachable.
That's awesome. It sounds like you're going to be just fine.

Our moving here from NorCal really taught us a lot and has forced us to be picky. We are in such a great area right now that we feel we have to do as much research as we possibly can so that we don't make a huge mistake for our family's future. Unlike the Sacramento area, we've found that our home value might actually have gone up the last 4 years here. We're hoping we can find what we're looking for, be closer to family, and enjoy all the things we love about Northern California without too much regret for leaving this area. Only time will tell. We're going to be extremely careful about our choices.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM

133 posts, read 257,795 times
I'm getting out as soon as humanly possible. I've lived all over these United States, and honestly, Sacramento has been the most disappointing my experiences. I just wish the job market would pick up soon, otherwise I would have left ages ago.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
This post is "geographically challenged", but serves the purpose of illustrating that compared to Buffalo, Sacramento doesn't look too bad.

Well I was born and have lived in Buffalo and live in Sacramento now so I can safely say Sacramento is better weather wise and close to fun locations but Buffalo people are way nicer and its cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento