Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 26,543 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about taking a job in Auburn Ca. We are currently raising our four sons in the Chicago suburbs attending excellent schools
but lacking the great outdoors. We can live within 30min commute of work. Considering staying close to Auburn and also Granite Bay area because we are boaters. What are the defining differences of one area over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM

Ok let me rephrase the question. I know the basic differences in Auburn and Granite Bay. Can someone tell me alittle more about Auburn Schools I have kids in grade school, middle school and high school. Is there one area that is better than others for families?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,017 times
I think that Auburn has decent schools. What is your price range?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 AM

Looking at the homes for sale I am able to find homes that we could afford to by in both communities. Looking for a big home (5 bd) with pool and neighborhod with kids near excellent schools.

What is the drive from East Auburn to Granite Bay at all times of the day and night? He needs to be there 30 min or less when called. Do I need to look closer to Auburn than Granite Bay? If so where do you think?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,245 times
Check out Lake of the Pines. The schools are very good in that area. Good family community. You will get more for your money in Auburn/Lake of the pines. GB is very expensive, unless you pick up a foreclosure.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 AM

Lake of the Pines is a beautiful area, however it is much more isolated than granite bay or auburn. If you are ok with that it would be a great place to live. Especially for boaters.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of Lake of the Pines. It looks like it may be too isolated. But I will plan to check it out when we make a visit anyway because it looks like fun. Right now we are living in an area that the GB HS would mirror our HS. Im conerned that Auburn High School won't offer academics and activities to compare to what we have now. I like the idea of getting out of the main stream but only to a point. At some point things are not interesting enough and kids get into trouble.......
Any ideas about Auburn High School?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,245 times
Actually they have a very good high school. My sister-n-law, who lives in the bay area (master degree) has checked out the schools up there. There are several doctors, dentists, lawyers and etc that live in that area and there kids go to college. It's not that isolated. GB has more money, and the kids still get in to trouble just like any where else.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Placer HS in Auburn gets fairly good test scores. Just to give you an idea the API score(how california grades its schools) of placer is 761 which is very solid compared to most of the sacramento region, and granite bay is 830, which it top notch.

Here is a good website for schools:

GreatSchools.net

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 PM

All good to know! Great web site for the schools, thanks. Yes, kids from money definitely get into trouble too. We are traveling there this weekend and I plan to check out both area's. Im relieved to here that Auburn has a good High School because I think that is where we would begin our search. Closer to work is always a good thing. I'll have more questions after our trip Im sure.....thanks alot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento