Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,307 times

Advertisements

im in my 20's currently living in Los Angeles. Ive been wanting to move up to northern california. My sister would be tagging along too. Shes 19. Sacramento along with SanJose, Santa Cruz, Stockton, and San francisco are all in my top 5. Anywhere somewhat urban with a little bit of rural would be nice. It would have to be a friendly community with a good educational system... im hoping to transfer to a community college then to a 4 year after.

any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamo90 View Post
im in my 20's currently living in Los Angeles. Ive been wanting to move up to northern california. My sister would be tagging along too. Shes 19. Sacramento along with SanJose, Santa Cruz, Stockton, and San francisco are all in my top 5. Anywhere somewhat urban with a little bit of rural would be nice. It would have to be a friendly community with a good educational system... im hoping to transfer to a community college then to a 4 year after.

I think the more important question to ask is whether you're moving for school or for a certain way of life.

If you are planning to move for school, it will depend on your major and what schools/universities you can afford and get into. You're probably already aware that Davis/Stanford is good for medical, Berkeley for law, etc.

If you're moving for lifestyle, it also ties in with your educational plans because tuitions are wildly expensive these days and moving to an area with a lower cost of living may help versus one that is already high and paying high tuition on top of cost of living.

If you can define your goals and know what you want, narrowing down the alternatives will be much easier and ultimately, making the correct decision. Moving to a brand new city is not an easy task. And surviving the next few years of college and not worry about having a place to live while you do it tougher.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM

39 posts, read 167,319 times
Santa Cruz would be fun, but spendy. As far as safety, I do believe a little research will reveal Stockton to be an undesirable location. San Fran is also spendy, anything by the coast is going to be really expensive, even San Jose can be significantly more costly than Sacramento Valley. Personally, I would recommend Sacramento because you can enjoy the midtown/downtown city life, but you are just a few minutes from farmland, 1.5 hrs from Tahoe and 1.5 hours from SF Bay. Also, there are several community colleges, CSUS, and 20 minutes from UC Davis. I hope you make a great choice for you and your sister!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

420 posts, read 877,740 times
Im moving away from Sactown after living here 7 years. And honestly, if youre just going to be studying at maybe Sac State and doing homework all the time, which I tend to doubt at your ages, once youve checked out Old Sac and a few little spots in Midtwon, you going to end up pretty bored. I grew up in Los Angeles. Sacramento is growing but still comparitively under-developed with very little entertainment or amusement venues that suit the appetites of energetic young people. It was never meant for that, as Los Angeles or San Francisco are, being geared as fun tourist attractions.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 81,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
Im moving away from Sactown after living here 7 years. And honestly, if youre just going to be studying at maybe Sac State and doing homework all the time, which I tend to doubt at your ages, once youve checked out Old Sac and a few little spots in Midtwon, you going to end up pretty bored. I grew up in Los Angeles. Sacramento is growing but still comparitively under-developed with very little entertainment or amusement venues that suit the appetites of energetic young people. It was never meant for that, as Los Angeles or San Francisco are, being geared as fun tourist attractions.
I am opposite here. Been Sacrmaento for 6 years, move to LA for 2 years, then move back here. Don't want to raise blood pressure with the traffic down there.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM

86 posts, read 229,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamo90 View Post

If you want urban with a little bit of rural, why CA at all? New england and the update new york would be a better fit. It is cheaper, loads of choice and lots of infrastructure. I use to live in upstate new york. You could choose rochester syracuse albany. All are close enough to new york city so you get much of the culture coming up. For example whe seinfeld aerosmith or lol even hannah montana played in new york city, state they would come up state to do that at least 1 show.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM

420 posts, read 877,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quang View Post
I am the opposite. Been in Sacramento for 6 years, move to LA for 2 years, then move back here. Don't want to raise blood pressure with the traffic down there.
Lol... I can dig that.
But besides the myths about it being so much more dangerous than here or elsewhere, it seems to preside as the primary reason for disliking Los Angeles. Like poeple who say that Portland is crummy because of the rain. But like like L.A. traffic, that happens to be part of Ptown's identity. L.A. is laterally huge compared to Sacramento, hence, huge amounts of vehicles. And in spite of that, having grown up there and being a bus driver, used to the aggressive driving style, I actually find my own blood pressure rising more here, dealing with the unskilled, lethargic pace of Sactown traffic.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Lived in LA 5 years. Uggh. Where do I start? Anyways, LA has some nice places and there is always something to do. But overall, a very stressful, ugly place to live. Hated living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento