Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times

Advertisements

I thought one of the ideas being put together by the Maloofs was to turn Arco over to the city as partial payment of the $77 million they owe Sacramento, and that one of the potential areas of contention was how the arena would be valued based on condition and current real estate values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Not sure what that has to do with the Maloofs' failure to maintain their own property, or why the city should be expected to buy them a new arena when they aren't maintaining the one that they own. If your friend is a slob who lets his house fall apart, how nicely would you expect him to maintain a free house you give to him without charge?

The Maloofs didn't actually borrow the money from the city, the city merely holds the note for the people who did loan the money. If the Maloofs default, the city gets a $25 million share of the team and the arena, but the city then becomes responsible for paying off the $75 million debt. Arco in its current condition is worth maybe $30 million, and turning it into anything else other than an auditorium would require lifting of the Natomas building moratorium. Essentially, it gives the city something worth less than the amount owed that they would have a very difficult time turning into the quantity of cash they would have to repay. Not a comfortable position.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM

42 posts, read 81,836 times
Just want to point out that the building is 20+ years. Everything has a time limited.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,983 times
I wasnt aware the Maloofs own Arco, ahem, Power Balance Arena.
If so, they have even less reason to complain about it's condition.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
One thing I was wondering...the Maloofs own Arco Arena. It is their property. If it has not been properly maintained or upgraded, and allowed to fall into disrepair, why is it the city's responsibility? If I stop fixing up my house, will the city come and do repairs, or buy me a new house, to stop me from moving to Anaheim?
I used to live down in Modesto and i'm so tired of hearing about the kings and there socalled move to Anaheim along with the Maloofs they are bunch of rich guys who want to make more money than careing about the area ..

Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewzy916 View Post
How many of you will miss the kings? I would be really sad to see them leave.
Also does anyone remember this:
YouTube - The Greatest Tragedy in Sports part 7

Biggest dissapointmemt in my life
I'm a Lakers fan, and though I don't buy into the whole "greatest tragedy in sports" argument/conspiracy theory, I will admit there were some terrible calls in that game. But that happens in every game. I miss those days and that rivalry. I would have liked to see the Kings win one with that squad, would have made for an even better rivalry. And I'm sad to see this happening to the Kings fans.

Hope something works out that keeps the Kings in Sacramento.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Not sure what that has to do with the Maloofs' failure to maintain their own property, or why the city should be expected to buy them a new arena when they aren't maintaining the one that they own. If your friend is a slob who lets his house fall apart, how nicely would you expect him to maintain a free house you give to him without charge?

The Maloofs didn't actually borrow the money from the city, the city merely holds the note for the people who did loan the money. If the Maloofs default, the city gets a $25 million share of the team and the arena, but the city then becomes responsible for paying off the $75 million debt. Arco in its current condition is worth maybe $30 million, and turning it into anything else other than an auditorium would require lifting of the Natomas building moratorium. Essentially, it gives the city something worth less than the amount owed that they would have a very difficult time turning into the quantity of cash they would have to repay. Not a comfortable position.
My understanding is that the Kings would still be liable for the balance even if they elect to give up the collateral as partial payments. Sacramento isn't ever technically liable. If the city chooses not to repay loans that that the Maloofs are responsible for (which would never happen because the Maloofs always pay their bill *cough*), then the cities credit rating would be ruined. It'd probably be cheaper to just pay the Maloofs business debts. That's what will end up happening in the end anyway. Just get it over with and send the problem off to Anaheim. In another ten or fifteen years we'll hear the same story all over again.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 9,233 times
So I left for the Army in 2003 for 4 years. I'm sure you all know what the Kings were doing back then. they were rocking the court thats what. They were rated the best fans in the NBA. I come home in 2007 to a disappointment. what happened when I was gone. I miss those days were you would get shot for wearing a Lakers jersey.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
My understanding is that the Kings would still be liable for the balance even if they elect to give up the collateral as partial payments. Sacramento isn't ever technically liable. If the city chooses not to repay loans that that the Maloofs are responsible for (which would never happen because the Maloofs always pay their bill *cough*), then the cities credit rating would be ruined. It'd probably be cheaper to just pay the Maloofs business debts. That's what will end up happening in the end anyway. Just get it over with and send the problem off to Anaheim. In another ten or fifteen years we'll hear the same story all over again.
Sounds pretty darn liable to me.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
News???

It appears Anaheim and the city-owned Honda Center have been left at the altar again.

Despite months of negotiations with Anaheim arena officials that pushed the Sacramento Kings to the brink of relocating in Anaheim, the Maloof family has at least temporarily abandoned its plans to move to Orange County because of opposition to the move by the NBA.

Kings end bid to | anaheim, arena, nba - Sports - The Orange County Register
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento