Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie2011 View Post
Thanks everybody for their replies.

Speaking of distant Chicago suburbs vs EDH, does EDH compare favorably to Palatine, Schaumburg or Naperville?
Sorry, I'm just not familiar with those suburbs. Is there a specific question I can answer for you?

As far as nightlife, the comment about Sutter Street in Folsom is a good one. There are a couple places in EDH, but Folsom has a lot more to offer. Other than that, you will have to head towards Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM

14 posts, read 35,470 times
The forum has been a wealth of information.
Thanks to all!!
We have come to the conclusion that it is no use comparing two cities as every place has something unique to offer. We are excited about not having to shovel snow starting next winter and being close enough to Sierras to go play in snow. Also, EDH has excellent school districts if we plan to settle here and start a family. The houses are reasonable by Chicago standards. It seems Toll brothers have moved out. We cant see their website mentioning Villa Lago at Promontory anymore. We liked some of their plans although we have not seen their quality. They are big here in Pennsylvania.
We will have to revisit the area to explore it more before the move. It seems we still dont know much. We have been thinking about looking at Folsom apartments as well. We may still end up in EDH as Folsom is only 5 minutes away. Is someone familiar with the apartments in Folsom close to hwy 50? It seems there are four- Sherwood, Iron point, Willow springs and Waterford. How do they compare to apartments in EDH?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Maybe Schaumburg might be close, if you took out the portions of Schaumburg that were built before the 1959 suburban development, and the mall, and the Metra connection.

I have family around Chicago, and was born out that way, so while I'm not an expert on the region I know it well enough to kind of make comparisons. It's a very different sort of region than Illinois.

As to Light Rail in El Dorado County: Not going to happen for a long, long, long time, if ever. That old rail alignment (which has been out of service for decades, and not used for passenger service since the 1920s) might end up as a tourist railroad or a bike trail, but there simply is not the population density needed to support a fixed-rail transit line, and El Dorado County doesn't have the water to support a much larger population. For some, that's a good thing--they are willing to trade a long commute for very low population densities and an exceptionally quiet neighborhood. But for a young couple with no kids who like urban settings, it might be a little boring.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Maybe Schaumburg might be close, if you took out the portions of Schaumburg that were built before the 1959 suburban development, and the mall, and the Metra connection.

I have family around Chicago, and was born out that way, so while I'm not an expert on the region I know it well enough to kind of make comparisons. It's a very different sort of region than Illinois.

As to Light Rail in El Dorado County: Not going to happen for a long, long, long time, if ever. That old rail alignment (which has been out of service for decades, and not used for passenger service since the 1920s) might end up as a tourist railroad or a bike trail, but there simply is not the population density needed to support a fixed-rail transit line, and El Dorado County doesn't have the water to support a much larger population. For some, that's a good thing--they are willing to trade a long commute for very low population densities and an exceptionally quiet neighborhood. But for a young couple with no kids who like urban settings, it might be a little boring.
The vision is to turn it into a multi-use transportation corridor with a bike trail, light rail, zoned development in certain areas. I think they were counting on money for air-quality mitigation.

It isn't entirely out of service. I saw a train using it in Placerville about 5 years ago. Being out of service doesn't matter anyway. Running any kind of passenger rail on it would require tearing out and rebuilding the tracks anyway.

But if they ever do build it and I'm alive I'm going to ride it for the view.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM

433 posts, read 1,618,763 times
There is a commuter bus that goes from El Dorado County to Downtown (the stop on EDH is by the post office) that is fairly quick. The problem is that its pricey for a monthly pass.

I think the main problem with light rail is that its just too slow. It just takes too long to go from Folsom to downtown as it is. It's easier and way faster for most people to just hop in their car and get on the freeway.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Thanks again for everyone's time and the replies.
It seems we will be driving for the most part in this area. We do hope mass transit becomes more popular in future.
I had one more query?
Is someone familiar with the apartments in Folsom close to hwy 50? It seems there are four- Sherwood, Iron point, Willow springs and Waterford. How do they compare to the apartments in EDH?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Well I grew up in Chicago and my dad moved to Granite bay when I was 13, did a stint in the bay and am not back in the valley so I guess I'll chime in.

As others have pointed out sacramento is not Chicago. If you come to California looking for Chicago you will be disappointed. LA is large like Chicago and Sf is urbane like Chicago, but even then they don't compare.

Sacramento is a smaller scale city like Kansas City or Indianapolis. And when our NBA team leaves, we will officially be a minor league town.

El Dorado hills really does not have a chicago counter part. Its more like a slice of orange county in the sacramento area. I'd say its a hybrid of several Chicago areas. Its got that outer suburban fringe vibe like say crystal lake. Its got the vibe of the village of barrington in that its kind of a suburban "get away from it all" type of town. It's got the affluence of Hinsdale. And its got the auto centric vibe of hoffman estates or rolling meadows. All car oriented, no down town, etc.

The "town center" is more of a marketing shpeel as opposed to an actual town center. Its really just a strip mall with all the essentials of suburban living. Before the town center everyone had to shop in folsom for a lot of things.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 35,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

Sacramento is a smaller scale city like Kansas City or Indianapolis. And when our NBA team leaves, we will officially be a minor league town.
Dude it's not like Kings won many games or did anything good for the city.... Greedy bastards Maloof Family wanted to hike the taxes so they can build a damn arena for themselves. You wont make money if you dont spend money. They have a ton of money they don't wanna spend it

Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
And after the town center, we still shop in folsom for most things unless we're looking for small shop, high price stores. Groceries, of course, are readily available in EDH.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Thank you everybody for your thoughtful insight.
We have a few more questions.
Is someone familiar with the apartments in Folsom close to hwy 50? It seems there are four- Sherwood, Iron point, Willow springs and Waterford. How do they compare to the apartments in EDH?
Are new homes still being built in EDH north of hwy 50? Or is everything impacted by the economic downturn. We were looking at both old as well as new homes. As I pointed earlier, we liked some fllor plans by Toll brothers but the website is no longer listing them. We will possibly buy next year if we decide to settle here. If we buy, it will most likely be in EDH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento